Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

YouView box unresponsive, failing to load

14 REPLIES 14
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Given that I bought a TalkTalk YouView box off a high street retailer a number of years ago, I am not a customer of TalkTalk for TV but am for telephone and broadband.

My model DN370T YouView box has recently become unresponsive to remote control commands. Up until this point, powering off the box and powering the box back on has restored functionality. Yesterday, however, the power off and power on failed to restore functionality and the box failed to pass the 'Loading' stage.

Undertaking the following Maintenance Reset steps has also failed to rectify the problem:

Software Reset (recommended)

Factory Reset, keep recordings

May I please ask if there are any further steps I can take to resolve the problem, very many thanks in advance.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Rich999 ok the staff might help but as u are not a tv customer the box is not covered as if where the staff could in the end swap it if they find it not fixed when done some checks

have u looked on the youveiw website as they are the main manufacture of the box

please finish of ur profile and wait for a oce staff to reply in a few days to a week due to high work flow

A bite of info of Forum:
The forum is not real-time 24/7 support, so depending on how busy they are & how many are working at any one time,(excluding weekends & limited cover on Bank Holidays).  The posts are responded to in time/date order, oldest first. So the fewer entries you make on your thread now, the sooner they will pick it up.

To save yourself time, please make sure that your community profile includes your first & last names, broadband phone number & if possible an alternative contact number. This can be done by clicking on your Avatar picture then click on "My Settings" followed by:- Personal Profile > Personal Information

Otherwise, TalkTalk will not be able to tie up your forum username to your broadband account. Only you & TalkTalk have visibility of your details.

please do not post any personal info on here as full public 

Hope that help Joe
If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

If the box gets stuck in loading, then it may have fully failed and there is not much any one can do.

If it does somehow start up, you can access the full factory reset from the settings menu.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

STAY HOME      -      PROTECT THE NHS      -      SAVE LIVES

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi Joe,

Many thanks for your message.

I have completed my profile and now await oce staff to advise the way forward.

I am yet to approach YouView concerning the problem, and might take this route subject to what oce staff advise.

Rich.

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi Karl,

Many thanks also for your message.

I strongly suspect that the box has, as you have mentioned, 'fully failed'. Given that the box hangs in the 'Loading' phase on multiple power-on and power-off resets and will not progress past this phase, and that I have exhausted all the Maintenance Reset options that I have been presented with, I do not see any other options that I can undertake to resolve the problem.

Given the substance of Joe's message with respect to input from OCE staff, and that your 'OCE_Karl' identifier would seem to indicate that you are a member of the team who Joe advised would provide the final way forward advice, may I please ask whether or not I should anticipate receiving further messages from OCE staff on the subject, many thanks in advance.

Regards, Rich.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Rich999 please wait on oce Karl or other to reply to see what they can do.

Karl and other staff will give u the options they have at there end on ur issue.

I am just a fellow customer helping out like other customer on here do help out where we can as there is a high work flow on the site due to the none call staff on as limited staff.

looks like they are improving this from the email u-date from talktalk yesterday.

please just wait for a oce to reply may be a few days to a week depends on the number of staff on and the work flow.

Hope that help Joe
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Thanks very much for the follow-up.

OCE_Karl sent me a message yesterday, and I'm looking for final feedback from him before taking the next step. Had you seen this message from Karl prior to sending me your latest message?

Highlighted

Hi

If the box has fully failed then there is nothing anyone can do to make it work.

As you are not on a package that includes TV or pay the £4 TV charge then the box would not be eligible to be replaced.

If you do want to upgrade to a package that includes TV you can do this online or via calling our Loyalty teams.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

Highlighted
Repeat Guest
Good morning Karl, My neighbour, who is knowledgeable about such things, suggests that the problem might be firmware related. May I please ask if there is anyone at TalkTalk that can take a look at the box to see if they can try reloading whatever operating and application software that is required to make the basic box functional thanks. In any normal situation, I would not make such a request. However, I have 12 pages of recordings that have taken many years to put together, and I would rather not loose access to them.
Highlighted
Philosopher

@Rich999 the only way to reload i think and @OCE_Karl will confirm this fully is by u doing it if u can get the the area but from what Karl has said it seems not that way will work.

if the box will not load then i do not think the staff or the TV team can connect to it.

But from reading Karl last post "If the box has fully failed then there is nothing anyone can do to make it work".

As some time it depends on the issue u have and what stage the box is at.

Also talktalk are not fully owner of the box it is on License just like BT do the same. You-view are the main owners and do most up-dates to it with some changes from talktalk every so often.

There is even no way yet to copy the recordings off the box to another one.

Hope that help Joe
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Many thanks for your response.

The point is that I do not know if the box has fully failed - I don't know, for sure, if the problem is with the operating system software, application software or with the hard disk. Surely there is someone in the TalkTalk / YouView team who has the knowledge and skills to take a look at the box for me and undertake a diagnosis of the problem.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@Rich999 yes u can try it but talktalk will only replace the box as they do not i have not heard of them taking the box apart to replace a part.

u can take it up with you view if u like but from what Karl says he would know as he would have a lot of knowledge of it as they have had these box`s for many years.

I know from being on the trail side a bit more as have had a few odd issues that if the box will load then the staff can check things as in it will need to load fully and have a internet connection to get them to connect to it.

so from what u say it seems that does not happen.

most of the time i have seen talktalk just swap the box if in a tv contract same if ur router had a issue they would try things but then if that does not work they would swap it.

If u can be more clear on what it does then they will help as karl is working on what u say on here and he would also check the system to see if it is online.

so might not show online as it is not working as it should

U can try getting some help from other on you view on there own community site 

https://community.youview.com/youview/

EDIT - @Rich999 if u wish to ask youview directly to this u can do but might give you the same answer to what karl is saying.

Things do happen out of the blue for no reason  as it is the same for other equipment.

I think also youview has been asked for better boxs and better ways to transfer data to a new box.

Only a few years back did youview update there system to work much better behind the scenes to cloud working.

But that can't help when the box goes wrong on it own.

Karl will give you opinions but might be best to get a deal with tv included 

Customer loyalty is the team to speak with.

Staff can not deal with renewing or changing to contract.

As at least then u have a cover for any issues with the box under ur contract 

Hope that help Joe
Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hello again Joe,

Once again, many thanks for your feedback.

Yes, the box swap-out seems to be the default option if a box is defective and the user is a TalkTalk TV customer. Having said that, I would be very surprised if TalkTalk were to not offer the option to have a member of their team with the requisite knowledge and skills take the box apart and diagnose the cause of the fault, and especially so as the box contains data that is very valuable to me and as I am a very long-term and 'loyal' customer of TalkTalk for phone and broadband (and was for TV too at one stage).

My box is not currently connected and powered-on as it is not functional. If TalkTalk request me to connect the box and power it on in order to help undertake a diagnosis of the problem over the Internet, I am more than happy to do so. However, I have no idea if TalkTalk are able to access the box over the Internet in it's current state.

In my initial post on the 22nd of May, I was explicit as I can be in advising the problem I am experiencing and the activities I undertook to try and resolve the problem. I can do no more in this respect.

I believe the best way forward is to now await some feedback from Karl.

Highlighted
Repeat Guest

Hi Joe,

Many thanks for the helpful 'EDIT'.

Yes, signing-up for the TV service would, at the very least, help with a replacement box. As I write this reply, however, I am not aware of which box model are issued as replacements. Over the last few years, I have become aware that the DN370T has a lot of significant and frustrating built-in issues resulting from it's specification, including what I term 4 minute run-away fast forward and rewinds and instances where the box appears to shut down and reload of it's own accord, and I would not be interested in a replacement box of this model in any case.

As you rightly say. receiving a replacement box does not, currently, help with recovering important data from a broken box which, as you again rightly say, might not be recoverable anyway if the box has certain issues. Having said that, not offering a basic service where data can be recovered, under certain conditions, is a serious hole in the quality of service provided by YouView box providers, and I read with interest, and very much welcome, that there are moves being made to plug this significant hole which, currently, does make one question whether or not YouView, irrespective of whether this is the TalkTalk or the BT variety, is a solution of choice for the recording function.

I note your comment with respect to contacting YouView directly to see if they can offer any help, but suspect, as you do, that they will not be able to assist. I further note that the company I pay my direct debit to for the phone and broadband package is TalkTalk (and not YouView), and as this would be the same should I sign-up for the TV package, I do believe that in asking Karl for some feedback, I am barking up the right tree, so to speak. By looking at some of his feedback on other posts, Karl has proved that he has a wealth of knowledge and skills in the field, and for this reason, I live in hope that he will be able to help by facilitating an individual with the appropriate knowledge and skills to take a look at the box for me to identify what the problem is.

Rich.

Highlighted

Hi

The box model that is currently issues is the DN372T.

The box itself cannot be repaired or restored and we would not have the resource to do this.  The box is provided by a third party and is also outside any warranty period.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Working From Home Tips