Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Youview Box Fails to Record/Playback

13 REPLIES 13
benny55
Wizz Kid

Over the past couple of weeks my TalkTalk has been displaying signs of failure. On ‘start up’ it was not always possible to change channels without re-booting the box. While this is a nuisance I have tolerated it. However, yesterday I found my planned recording had failed; furthermore, previously recorded programmes can no longer be played and my boosts were missing.

• I have been through the 'Maintenance/Recovery' process on a number of occasions. This restores the boosts channels but not resolved the Record/Playback issue.
  • I have removed/replaced all the cabling on the box. No impact.
  • I have re-booted my router. No impact.
  • I have switched the cable port on the router. No impact.
  • I can pause/rewind without any problems.
  • Netflix and the i-Players are fine.
  • I have noticed that the centre light on the front display does not function.

Anyone got any further suggestions to resolve this issue.

Regards,

Benny.

Pasha
Team Player

I would think your box is faulty and you need a replacement. I'm on my third box even the engineer said they only last about 2 years if you're lucky. call them.

Lynn
benny55
Wizz Kid

Well, with everything else failing and the absence of any forum assistance, I opted for the nuclear option; ‘Factory Reset’ via settings.

While I have lost all settings and recorded content I can, for now at least, record and playback programmes.

Only time will tell if this proves to be long-term solution.

benny55
Wizz Kid

Well, since the last posting I’m having mixed performances. At times all is well and then, perhaps every 2/3 days, it appears to freezes. Can’t navigate beyond the initial start-up channel. Also, after navigating to MyTV/Recordings, unable to progress further, can't access recordings. The screen appears to freeze but the audio from the broadcast programme can be heard in the background. In all cases a mains Off/On clears the problem that is until the next time. Since the Factory Reset of the 26th April my disk utilisation in never more than 8%.  

Having to reboot my box at such regular intervals seems a less than acceptable service.

Benny.

Community Team

Hi Benny,

Next option is to swap out the box for you.  I'll arrange this now.

Thanks

Karl. 

benny55
Wizz Kid

Thanks Karl.

It continues to exhibit the same pattern of strange behaviour. Watching Sky news last night then went into programme menu; unable to navigate further. Power down/up before ongoing viewing could be resumed.

Regards,

Benny.

Community Team
benny55
Wizz Kid

Hi Karl,

The replacement box arrived this afternoon and is now up and running. The old one is packed and ready to drop into the Post Office tomorrow.

Fingers crossed this will be the end of the matter.

Thank you so much for all your assistance in resolving it.

Regards,

Benny.

Community Team

Hi Benny,

No Problem 🙂

Glad to help.

Karl 

clairehornby63
Popular Poster
hi when i record a film or any other program it only records for a few seconds.disapointed when i record a film late at night then when i come to watch it it has only recorded a few seconds.i have done everything possible but it is still doing it any help thanks claire
Community Team

Hi clairehornby63

If you start your own thread (new message), wed love to help.

Weve found that posting in someone elses conversation makes it harder to follow when looking for an answer.

Its easier and quicker if we can chat with you in a single thread, if you start your own thread, that will keep our community organised and help others with a similar problem.

Check your home phone number or account number are also added to your Community Profile as that will really help us to find your details quicker.

Thanks

Karl

Pasha
Team Player

Hi Claire

If you want to record in advance, go to the guide, go to the programme you want to record, when you see the programme (ie Blue Planet) press the red/white R button on the remote, A box will appear on the screen, 2 options: Record series or Record episode. use the up/down arrows and press the OK for which one you want.

If you want to record once a programme has started just press the red/white record button and the programme will start recording.

If your box works normally but fails to record, then the box is faulty, either go online to TalkTalk and start a chat or phone the free number 0345 172 0088 for further help.

Lynn
clairehornby63
Popular Poster
hi i have done everything you said but its still the same only records a few seconds of a program
Pasha
Team Player

Hi Have you tried turning everything off TV, Box and Router ?

Turn the power off to all three for 60 seconds and then turn them all back on, Router first, wait until all lights are on and stable and then turn on the Box and the TV wait until it re-loads and try again to record something. If that doesn't work there is another thing to try but do this option first,. Come back to me if the above dosen't resolve your issue.

Lynn