Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Youview poor reception on certain channels

18 REPLIES
Delaney
Conversation Starter

I have had a new box fitted and  get poor reception on some channels.....specifically 5 star, 5 USA and Pick at the moment.  This is often ok but some days recordings are unwatchable.

I realise that this is probably a signal issue not box so any info and help would be appreciated.....aerial-wise especially and also about transmitters.

Regards

D

Community Team

Hi

No visible freeview issues : https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Olivers_Mount

Do you have a good external digital aerial ?

What signal strength is showing on the BBC & ITV channels ?

If you plug the aerial into a freeview TV are the channels the same ?

Any splitters or amplifiers in use ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

Delaney
Conversation Starter

Hi

Thanks for your reply.

1. I have an amplifer which has been in place for 9 years.

2. Likewise with a splitter

3. Having had the aerial up for some years and the cable changed 9 years ago I do not recall problems as bad as now on certain channels which according to friends is due to atmospheric conditions and weather etc and a transmitter which is sending out ...it appears ch5, 5 star, pick etc signals to my local Olivers Mount tower.  It is not a digital aerial and I have thought about looking into this route.

4. I had my Youview box changed recently and it seems worse than I ever remember but intermittent which may be the atmospheric conditions cause.

I have checked the settings on those affected channels.

I have not checked the freeview tv situation yet.  I do get Granada on itv through HD on the local news progs which I shouldn't and don't want....not relevant.

5. The BBC ITV readings

ITV HD & BBC HD strength 64% quality 54%

ITV strength 71 quality 83%  BBC1 60% quality 85%

Time 3.45pm

Regards and thanks

Community Team

Hi

The signal strengths don't look to bad but you could look into getting a digital aerial. 

I have seen some cases recently of people contacting freeview directly with reception issues and they can offer assistance with aerial replacements and also to check if there are any issues in the area with interference from mobile masts etc.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Delaney

You may find this page interesting https://ukfree.tv/transmitters/tv/Olivers_Mount/PGSTART330/#pagebar

It may be worth calling the Freeview Advice Line free on 0808 100 0288. You may be eligible for free in-home support, including aerial work if needed.

I had a problem and they replaced my aerial for free.
If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
Delaney
Conversation Starter

Thanks....I'm looking into this aerial issue, thanks for the advice.

Delaney
Conversation Starter

Thanks for this advice most useful and I'm on it....I'll post the outcome .

Thanks

Delaney
Conversation Starter

I have been in touch with the Freeview link.

There is no such thing as a digital aerial....an aerial is an aeriel is an aerial.......which is interesting and useful to know.  the advisor gave me instruction on how to clear a box of signal info ......by retuning without the aerial connected then retuning with it connected.

I got as far disconnecting the aerial from the Youview box to find that the connection was loose and slack....how does this happen?? It's the same as stereo phono leads!!  This had been fitted a couple of weeks ago by the TalkTalk engineer and therefore never been checked.

Thanks for the help anyway all is now easily rectified.  Almost £200/250 out of pocket there so many thanks !!

Rregards

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Delaney

Pleased that you got it sorted.

For your further information an aerial is not just an aerial, there are different types required for different frequencies. Mine was a "type A" aerial which was the correct type for my transmitter (Crystal Palace) until the update. Following the transmitter update my aerial was not capable of receiving the output from MUX7 & 8 so I lost about 15 channels. The type needed was a "Multiband" to receive these frequencies which they replaced for free in my case.

If this has helped and solved your problem, please mark it as Best Answer so that OCE's or others do not spend time looking for alternatives.
grshields
Popular Poster

I am also having problems with had channels and Netflix.  Sometimes a switch off seems to work.  Another free view tv off the same aerial is receiving fine?

i have seen the suggestion to do a reset but I don’t want to lose recordings

any suggestions welcome

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @grshields

Could you please start your own thread for support as each problem is individual and needs investigating separately.

Could you please also ensure that your community profile includes your PHONE NUMBER as OCE's will need this to tie up your screen name to your account. (click on your avatar to view the information > Settings > Launch Profile Wizard,put your phone number in box, then scroll to the bottom of page and click save)

If you do a maintenance reset as follows you will NOT lose your recordings :

Turn the box off, then unplug power lead for a couple of minutes.

Re plug in power .

1. Ensure the YouView Box is switched off and is currently connected to the router (the YouView Box will require an internet connection).
  2. Power on YouView using button at the back of the YouView Box.
  3. Start YouView using the power button on the YouView Box front panel and then quickly press and hold both the + and – buttons on the front panel. If you haven’t pressed the buttons together by the time 'YouView Waking Up' is displayed, or you see the 'YouView please wait...' message then try again.
  4. Let go of the + and – buttons once the 'Huawei – Maintenance Mode menu' is displayed.
  5. The + and – buttons on the front panel will navigate the menu. Keep pressing the – button until 2 “factory reset keep recordings” option is highlighted. If you go past the option, simply press the + button to navigate back to the option.
  6. Press the power button on the YouView Box front panel to select the option. This will bring up some information and ask 'Do you want to proceed?'. Press the power button again to confirm.
  7. The YouView Box will now show a progress bar as it downloads software from the internet and installs on the YouView Box. This may take several minutes. Once complete, the YouView Box will restart.
  8. Once the YouView Box restarts, the YouView Box will show the initial setup wizard. You will need to run through the setup wizard including tuning the channels.

You will then need to reset your personal settings (such as parental controls / RF loop through / Surround Sound etc.) and also reset your scheduled recordings (might be worth taking a note of future recordings before doing this so you don’t miss any).

It is also a good idea to restart your router once you have done this.

grshields
Popular Poster

Thanks Fr55die for the quick respnse.

That seems to have cured the problem

Fingers crossed

Delaney
Conversation Starter

Hi

I spoke too soon...last night's Pick and 5 USA were unwatchable.....everything else is fine...2 tv's channels running off the Youview box ar fine as are those tv channels NOT on the Youview but independantly.

2 other tv's run on the aerial alone and they too tested as fine.

I'm not sure what's going on as it's a new box a couple of weeks old but I have the instruction from the Freeview link to follow and the info here thanks.

I will update when finished.

Thanks All

Delaney
Conversation Starter

Hi Nope, I have posted elsewhere nothing worked...I was told that all aerials are the same overall by the Freeview guy so there's confusion all round.  I'm trying a few resets in the next day or so.

Thanks

fre55die
Community Star

Hi @Delaney

Is every channel working on your freeview TV ?

Delaney
Conversation Starter

Hi 

Things are getting more bizarre as the intermittent problem seems to be (perhaps) weather or atmospheric conditions.  Mainly Pick and the 5USA?star channels for recording, I have had both good and bad recordings this week.

Other than than I have great reception so it cannot be the aerial even though it is at least 18yrs old.  I have 2 tvs on the Youview box joined by a powered hdmi cable and 2 tvs on seperate co-ax cable and all work/receive well.

I am of the opinion that the box is faulty but am loathe to appraoch TalkTalk with the threat of being charged for an engineer visit in principle although I did not have this problem with my old box which was replaced due to FF/Rewind freezing.

Regards

D

Delaney
Conversation Starter

Hi

I hope someone is still reading this post from TalkTalk.

Last night on ch5 I recorded a programme.....turned out unwatchable.

The same programme on freeview was fine, no interference.

On the Freeview link I was sent I checked the other day and all my tvs worked fine......I did not have this problem with my old box.

So, it would appear that the new box is faulty.

I am, as a long term customer loathe to call the technical help as I'm afraid the people there are not fully understanding and follow protocaols and scripts which is sooooo frustrating.

I've done the tests ect and want advice without the threat of being charge when the engineer sadly left quickly without checking the download, it was underway and he surely should not have left without checking.

Regards

D

Community Team

Hi

High pressure can play havoc with freeview signals, and we have been having quite a high pressure spell recently causing this hot weather.

This is known as the inversion effect.  More info : https://ukfree.tv/article/1107052352/What_is_the_Inversion_Effect_and_why_does_it_effec

You can also read about different types of aerials here : http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/reception_guide

With regard to the recent failed program on CH5, when you say it was ok on freeview, was this through the TV box, not through a separate TV?

Have you ever used the maintenance reset option to see if this clears the recording issues ?

Karl.

Delaney
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl

Thanks for your reply.

I watched the poorly recorded programme on the tv's integrated freeview where the signal comes seperately  from the outside aerial via a booster.  I do watch Youview through the TT box also (it's upstairs connected by an hdmi cable to the TT box which works fine). I have other tv's and all have the same outside aerial connection through an inside aerial..........

Lounge- 1 tv with outside aerial going through Youview box connected to bedroom above via hdmi.

Bedroom- 1 tv connected to outside aerial via boosterand Youview via hdmi.

Office- connected to outside aerial and booster

Kitchen- 1 tv connected to outside aerial via booster.

1 tv at a time is only ever used.

I didn't, that I recall, have such problems as I have now with the new box.  This problem seems to be on programmes in the same signal band.

Yes I agree and am aware of atmospherics.

The box is new but I have not done any resets yet but initial retunes.

Regards

Paul