would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

iPlayer buffers even more after upgrade to Fibre

ANSWERED
22 REPLIES 22
aa2000
Problem Solver

I used to experience some occasional buffering while on an otherwise very good ADSL2+ connection.  Since switching to Fibre Medium (again seemingly a very good connection) earlier this month, I'm shocked to discover that the buffering seems to happen more often and will often occur 2 -3 times during a one hour tv programme.

The buffering wheel spins until eventually an iPlayer error message appears, pointing to a possible loss of internet connection.  At that point even data for the Youview Guide fails to appear. 

I have to come right out of iPlayer, wait for a couple of minutes then go back into the programme via the Guide.   This can happen at any time of day, but recent events have occurred mid to late afternoons. The Youview box is connected to the router via Devolo Powerline Adaptors.  HG633 Router with latest v2.0 firmware. 

Help - Please advise how this issue can be overcome.

ferguson
Community Star

Are you getting this with any other YouView players e.g. ITV Player etc? Are you able to test temporarily with a direct ethernet connection between the box and router to rule out any possible issue with the powerline adapters?

aa2000
Problem Solver

Thanks @ferguson. Direct ethernet connection isn't really possible, but the Devolo Powerline adaptors are about 18 months old and are able to produce quite sophisticated data reports, some of which I have just recently sent to Devolo HO in Germany for analysis and they have come back giving a clean bill of health.  I can't say I've ever noticed the issue occuring with any other YouView players. 

ferguson
Community Star

Not even temporarily moving the box/router? Or getting a long ethernet cable? It really is worth ruling out the adapters before looking elsewhere.

aa2000
Problem Solver

@ferguson wrote:

Not even temporarily moving the box/router? Or getting a long ethernet cable? It really is worth ruling out the adapters before looking elsewhere.

Much as I'd like too, my longest Ethernet cable isn't quite long enough and I'd otherwise have to move my tv to a room on a lower floor.  I really have no reason to suspect the adaptors as they satisfactorily serve the tv directly too and provide consistent YouTube and iPlayer connectivity via that link.

ferguson
Community Star

OK, not much more I can suggest I'm afraid, other than buy a longer ethernet cable (cheap as chips).

aa2000
Problem Solver

Can an OCE please investigate this issue?  Thanks.

Please note..

• existing Powerline Adaptors satisfactorily supply buffer-free player playback of all Youview players except iPlayer via the TalkTalk box. 
  • existing Powerline Adaptors do supply buffer-free iplayer playback via my smart tv set's own internal player facility. 
  • iPlayer works buffer-free on my PC which is connected to router (HG633) via ethernet cable.  
ferguson
Community Star

Have you managed to get hold of that long cable yet so you can try connecting the box to the router directly?

aa2000
Problem Solver

No.  I would like an OCE to investigate based on my existing setup which would point to my adaptors not being the cause. 

Community Team

Hi aa2000, I've run a line test and your line is great. Speeds look good. Have you reset the box? If you watch IPlayer on your TV directly do you get the same buffering? 

aa2000
Problem Solver

@OCE_Ady wrote:

Hi aa2000, I've run a line test and your line is great. Speeds look good. Have you reset the box? If you watch IPlayer on your TV directly do you get the same buffering? 

Hi @OCE_Ady .  Yes I did a complete box reset just a few weeks ago.  I don't get the same buffering when I watch iPlayer on my tv directly (also fed via the same set of Powerline Adaptors).  

Community Team

That's great thanks for the information. I'll raise this to the TV escalation team for investigation. I'll post back to let you know it's sorted. 

aa2000
Problem Solver

Thanks Ady.  I'm a TalkTalk tv triallist in case that makes any difference.

aa2000

aa2000
Problem Solver

Here's what tends to happen:

The programme starts to buffer. After some seconds of buffering I get an iPlayer 02100 Error Message..

"Something went wrong playing this programme. This is usually a temporary problem. If it continues 

• check your Internet connection
  • change the video quality in Settings"

I then exit the player and return to the Guide to once more find the programme, only to find that the Guide is snarled up displaying "No information available" in place of programme information. Generally, If I exit the Guide and return to it after a minute or so, this clears the problem, allowing me to resume the programme, but the whole problem (buffering etc.) will often repeat minutes later.

All very annoying especially since I supposedly have such a good connection. 

Community Team

Hi

I've dropped an email too the trial team to look at this.  I notice the STB firmware is not the latest, and this may be on a trial firmware so I cannot change this, so I've flagged this to them.  you may want to also contact your trial contact your self so they can pick this up.

Thanks

Karl. 

aa2000
Problem Solver

Thanks Karl, much appreciated.  I shall also drop the Trial Team a line with a link to this thread.

aa2000

UPDATE: 08 May :  

Apparently I'd somehow been dropped out of the trials due to my Fibre upgrade.  This most likely explains the older software. I'm now being reinstated next week. 

aa2000
Problem Solver
Solution

Success.  I'm pleased to report I've managed to convert a redundant extension phone socket next to my tv equipment into a secondary Master Socket (MS) and rewired the primary Master Socket, to take advantage of its A and B terminals. Connecting cable is Cat5e so perfectly good. Have now connected router to the secondary MS and everything is hunky dory, no buffering and no significant degradation in speeds. 

Community Team

Hi

Thats great, thanks for keeping us updated.

Karl

paulshent
Community Star

Hi.

I have just finished running the trial on multi room

So i suggest you change following until you have latest software uploaded to your tv box

Undersetting i assume your tv is set to 1080p

Just reset this to 720p.

Buffering will then stop

Once you have latest software auto updated then you can reset back to 1080p

Tell me what type of box it is and level of present software. Will then tell you what to look out for.

Both the recordable tv box and the Multi room box will run fine over the mains supplied network extenders.

aa2000
Problem Solver

@paulshent wrote:

Hi.

I have just finished running the trial on multi room

So i suggest you change following until you have latest software uploaded to your tv box

Undersetting i assume your tv is set to 1080p

Just reset this to 720p.

Buffering will then stop

Once you have latest software auto updated then you can reset back to 1080p

Tell me what type of box it is and level of present software. Will then tell you what to look out for.

Both the recordable tv box and the Multi room box will run fine over the mains supplied network extenders.

Hi @paulshent

Encouraging to hear this.

You claim that with the latest software that you've just finished testing that "Both the recordable tv box and the Multi room box will run fine over the mains supplied network extenders".   To what extent had you experienced buffering yourself previously and on which players?  Difficult question maybe, but how sure can you be that the latest software you're referring to will definitely cure the buffering problems that I described?  Sometimes local electrical issues have been known to defeat even the best of PLA's.

Did you see how I have now managed to overcome the issues?   I'm very grateful for your advice but having now taken the time and trouble to make these changes, I'm understandably a little bit reluctant to revert to my previous setup without further solid assurances and ideally additionally from a TTTV Trials Team member.   

Just to add, with my new setup, while it has overcome the buffering issues, I would actually prefer to have the router in its former more discreet location (in Primary Master Socket room) rather than under the tv (which is on a glass stand) where it's hard to conceal its flashing lights.  Ironically, I'm still now using the Devolo PLA's to feed my laptop in the room where the Router used to be located. 

Box:  DN372T.01.02.P

Current Software: 72.45.145

aa2000