Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

iPlayer buffers even more after upgrade to Fibre

ANSWERED
paulshent
Community Star

Hi.  First thing let me say is that i do not work for TalkTalk, and that i am passing on what i found during testing and how i got around the issues.

Your software and box are at the same level as mine. So no problem.

I have now moved my settings back to 1080p without any issues, since i had the xx.xx.145 release of software. I find it a lot faster than previous release.

What i did find (and still do), is that if i use an HG633 router on ANY release version of firmware inclusive of V2.0, then i get breakups, network loss and / or pixilation of the channels. I even got an issue where the router would just for no reason reboot. This issue applies to both my tv boxes. One is connected with direct ethernet cable the other over TalkTalk supplied network wall plugs.

Once i got hold of an HG635  (TT used to supply these), and used that then my network breakup / pixilation / dropout issues stopped.  So in other words since i started to use an HG635 my issues went away.  To be honest i don't think the HG633 is of any use except for standard none TV usage.

An HG635 can be had from E-bay and is a TT supported router.

I am now waiting for their latest Sagecom router to see what it's process speed is like.

Hope that helps a little

aa2000
Problem Solver

@paulshent wrote:

Hi.  First thing let me say is that i do not work for TalkTalk, and that i am passing on what i found during testing and how i got around the issues.

Your software and box are at the same level as mine. So no problem.

I have now moved my settings back to 1080p without any issues, since i had the xx.xx.145 release of software.

Thanks.  I've had xx.xx.145 software for about ten days now and it did not cure my buffering issues. 

I find it a lot faster than previous release.

What i did find (and still do), is that if i use an HG633 router on ANY release version of firmware inclusive of V2.0, then i get breakups, network loss and / or pixilation of the channels. I even got an issue where the router would just for no reason reboot. This issue applies to both my tv boxes. One is connected with direct ethernet cable the other over TalkTalk supplied network wall plugs.

Once i got hold of an HG635  (TT used to supply these), and used that then my network breakup / pixilation / dropout issues stopped.  So in other words since i started to use an HG635 my issues went away.  To be honest i don't think the HG633 is of any use except for standard none TV usage.

Having made my internal networking / socketry changes (as I've detailed in this thread) I'm so far finding that my HG633 seems to work just fine for tv usage (Note: I basically use the TT box for watching and recording the Freeview channels, Catch-up players and Netflix only).

An HG635 can be had from E-bay and is a TT supported router.

I am now waiting for their latest Sagecom router to see what it's process speed is like.

Hope that helps a little

Interesting, thanks.  Have to say though, with respect, nothing you have revealed is tempting me to go back to my old setup, as even the latest TT box software update did not cure my issue before I made those changes.  The HG633 now seems to work for me so I guess 'if it ain't broke'.  I'd still prefer to have the Router located where it used to be (ie.in the Primary Master Socket room), but it's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make, as it means I'm finally rid of the dreaded buffering.  

aa2000

aa2000
Problem Solver

@paulshent wrote:

Hi again @paulshent 

Yes the new Sagemcom sounds interesting. I spotted a short review from the ISPreview website..

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2018/05/new-and-faster-wifi-router-spotted-at-broadband-isp-ta...