cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

picture freezes

11 REPLIES
Highlighted
davidpmay
Conversation Starter

Unfortunately more problems since the latest software update. This is what I sent to youview today.

The screen either freezes completely or refuses to close whatever menu I'm on so I can actually watch the T.V. For example. I was in MyTv about to watch the second episode of a series of six recordings (Having just watched the first one and deleted it). I couldn't play the episode and when trying to return to normal T.V. or just go back to MyTv the screen didn't change.

At first I thought the whole machine had frozen, but I could change channel and hear it switching in the background but the screen was locked on the MyTv recording.

A related by slightly different issue. When in the guide I can change the channel/programme in the guide (highlighted programme moves when I navigate) but when I press OK I, again, hear the programme change but the guide remains.

The only way to sort this out is to power down the unit as turning on and off or holding in the on button for 10 secs doesn't fix it and when it comes back on it's still on the frozen screen.

Can't say I'm overly impressed guys. Every update to the software seems to make it worse and worse to the point I'm thinking of binning all my recordings, unplugging it from the internet and doing a factory reset as the original software was much better.

BTW this is a Huawai machine and yes I've received the latest update as I've checked the version numbers.

Community Team

Hi

have you tried a full Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 4: Keep Recordings).

Please note any future scheduled recordings will be lost and will have to be rescheduled.

set the box back up and see if this improves the performance.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl

Well to be honest I did that as soon as I got the upgrade as frankly it didn't work at all, I mean at all. The remote didn't work most of the time (although I suspect it was more to do with the box than the remote). It lost the quick power up etc. very unresponsive and I've no doubt that if I did it again it would resolve the issue. But only for a while.

I know this isn't specifically a TalkTalk issue so I'm being nice here, but really I don't see why I should have to do a maintenance mode reset and lose all my scheduled recordings every time there's any sort of problem. It's the stock answer to any problem that anyone has of any sort and it's only a short term solution. 

I worked in I.T. in roles from Project Manager, Analyst (both system and business) programmer/developer (roles change name but mean the same) and testing as well as support and I'm getting a bit fed up with having garbage 'updates' which clearly haven't been tested properly or on all hardware (there aren't that many youview boxes) and automated testing programs that would allow them to, at the very least, perform a decent set of regression tests (i.e. checking the new update doesn't break anything) have been around for a VERY long time.

This is a totally unacceptable situation. Don't get me wrong. I've never had any real issues with TalkTalk and I know some people beat you up for no real reason. I also love Youview, but only when it works. Frankly (again) they've lost the plot and need to get some people who know what they're doing. I've never had any desire to switch to virgin or sky, but this is getting ridiculous.

My understanding is that TalkTalk are now gaining quite a big share of the market so please use your considerable clout to smack Youview around the head and tell them to fix the damn thing properly. 

Community Team

Hi David

We are seeing an improvement in the overall performance of youview, and we do feedback issues to them.

Would you like me to swap out the youview box for you to see if another box will perform better.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl

Thanks for the quick response. Might seem a bit pedantic, but I'd need to understand what you mean when you say "swap out the youview box". I'm all for having a replacement box, but I don't think it'll go down to well with the rest of the family if we lose all the recordings as we are able to watch things in between bouts of the box deciding it's not going to play.

If you're talking about sending us a new box and we use that for everything apart from watching the old recordings and we use the old one until the recordings are cleared out and then send that back to you then I don't have a problem at all with that.

So if you could just clarify that please that would be great.

Thanks
David
Community Team

Hi

We can replace the box with another to see if this improves performance but the system will usually expect return of the faulty box within 30 days or a charge may be applied.  Unfortunately I cannot get round this part as it is all automated.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter

Hi Karl

I think that's definitely worth a go, there's no reason why the family shouldn't be able to watch what we've currently go recorded in that amount of time. We've had this box for quite a while now so assume the replacement will be an updated new model?

I also assume it'll come in the post as the original did and there will be instructions included on return of the old one?

Thanks

David

Community Team

Hi

Can you add your home phone number to your Community Profile so I can locate your account.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter
Hi Karl

No problem. I've done that.

Thanks
David
Community Team

Hi

The box is on the way.

Thanks

Karl. 

davidpmay
Conversation Starter
HI Karl

Thanks received today. Will get the other back within the 30 days and let you know if the problem continues with the new box as I'm interested as to whether it's hardware or software.

Best regards
David
Community Team