Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

remote control

32 REPLIES 32
pyrie
Team Player

Hi, my remote control has suddenly stopped working, batteries are ok, have reset it, and it still wont work, only had it for about a month, so now stuck on BBC 1, any advice please.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @pyrie

Press and hold the YouView front panel power / standby button for 8 seconds, until the lights change then let go. Then just wait for the box to restart.

This Soft reset of the TV Box often works to fix lack of response to the remote control and other strange operating faults.

Or, when the hard drive isn't active do a Power reset. Power off at the back on/off switch or mains power socket, wait a few minutes and repower.

Let me know how you get on.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2021

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

pyrie
Team Player

thanks will do.

pyrie
Team Player

Hi, done both those things, but still not working !!!

Gondola
Community Star

...when you press a button on the remote is the red led lighting up?

pyrie
Team Player

yes red lights up.

Gondola
Community Star

...and when you press the Box power button (top right) does the TV Box switch on and switch off?

pyrie
Team Player

No nothing happens.

Gondola
Community Star

...but you can switch the TV Box on and off using the front panel standby / power on button and see the output of the box on the TV?

pyrie
Team Player

yes.

pyrie
Team Player

What do you mean by seeing the output of the box on the tv ? sorry im a novice at this.

Gondola
Community Star

...seeing the TalkTalkTV logo top left when the TV Box is first switched on and seeing the YouView menu at the bottom of the screen?

pyrie
Team Player

I understand that now, yes.

Gondola
Community Star

...you should be able to change channel using the + and - buttons on the front panel of the TV Box. But the remote control is needed for most functions. Looks like the TV Box has a terminal fail of not responding to the remote so will need to be replaced.

I've alerted the TalkTalk Community Team.

Please ensure your Community Profile Personal Information (Click here) includes your name, address, current TalkTalk landline 'phone number and an alternate number (mobile recommended). Add, then scroll down and save changes. The TalkTalk Community Team OCE will then be able to link to your TalkTalk service account.

pyrie
Team Player

Thats strange as I have only had this new tv box for about a month.

Gondola
Community Star

...electronic component fails happen either early in product life or at end of expected life. 

As the soft reset and power off reset haven't restored the remote control function there is one final thing to try which is a Maintenance Mode reset including a full factory reset. 

More complex issues might require a Maintenance Mode reset of the TV Box (Click here). Read the instructions so you know what to expect, select your box model and when prompted on screen select Option 2 (Keep recordings) as a first choice.

If the Maintenance mode Reset actually fixes the remote control issue then restore the box settings and at the same time it's worth rebooting the router and any connecting powerline adaptors and check they've got green lights showing.

You'll need to reinstate a lot of personal settings, including parental control PIN if used, Antenna out back to On, Picture & Sound setup, Apps & player logins, Mobile devices reconnected for the TV Planner app and TV Guide (yellow button) hidden channels.

Any Watch lists and Scheduled recordings will need to be reinstated so make a note of these before a Maintenance Mode reset.

The TalkTalk Community Team will pick this up and if the box has failed will arrange an exchange.

OCE_Debbie
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi pyrie

I'm sorry to hear this.

Have you tried the Maintenance Mode reset that Gondola has linked to in their last post?

Thanks

Debbie

pyrie
Team Player

Thank you, its working now.

pyrie
Team Player

It is all working now, thank you, have replied to to the last message also.

Gondola
Community Star

...Brilliant. Thanks for confirming.  The soft reset usually fixes a non-responsive remote but Maintenance Mode is sometimes needed.  Nice one.