cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Want to know how to get the most out of our community?

Hey, I'm Michelle and I wanted to tell you about our community and how it's packed full of useful information, answers and has a horde of active members waiting to help or just to say hey! We know forums can be a little daunting at times, so here are some of my useful tips to help you get the most out of the community:

Get Searching

Search is the quickest way to locate the information you're after, use the big red box above. If you don't find what you're after you can always post your own question.

Search now

Get stuck in

Prefer to jump straight into the community? Checkout the yellow "browse" tab over on the left hand side, here you'll find the entire community at your fingertips.

Try now

Join the party!

Had a peek around the community already? If so you'll no doubt want to join us, just hit register below and follow the instructions. Don't worry I'll still be here to help once you've registered.

Register now

tv advanced tv setup & multicast options HG635 , what they for ?

ANSWERED
5 REPLIES
Highlighted
Hammertime
Wise Owl

talktalk tv advanced tv setup & multicast options HG635, what they for ?, what are these all about ?

I have now added a screenshot so that people know what the heck I am on about. (the settings shown are as they were and still are, I just want to know what these things are for exactly if anyone knows ?)

When your logged into the router interface on your pc etc and then click on this link >>  http://192.168.1.1/html/advance.html#iptv

What are these options for exactly and should they be set a certain way or something, mines is set same as it was when I got both the router and the tv box.

Anyone any idea ? 

these settings.JPG

TalkTalk HG635 Router sent from talktalk and testing as of 30th March 2017, tested for nearly a month now '26th April 2017', speeds and everything else EXCELLENT, the HG635 is by far the best router TalkTalk have to offer, I have tried the rest, they are junk and sent back.
KeithFrench
Community Star

This is a "hidden" page within the HG633/635 router management system. 

TV over IP is distributed by multicast streams. There are three basic types of IP packet:-

1. Broadcast - one device sends out this packet to all other devices on the same subnet. All devices must inspect the initial part of the packet to see if it is for them & if it is, it must act upon it in some way.
  2. Unicast - a packet exclusively between two IP addresses
  3. Multicast - a kind of closed group that only its members can receive the packet. You have to become a member of this group.

The idea being with any ISP offering TV over IP, is that you only want people to be able to receive these packets & hence media streams, who are paying for them.

Keith

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Hammertime
Wise Owl

Thanks KeithFrench, at least now I have a better Idea and shall be able to check these things out online in more detail, thanks again Wink

TalkTalk HG635 Router sent from talktalk and testing as of 30th March 2017, tested for nearly a month now '26th April 2017', speeds and everything else EXCELLENT, the HG635 is by far the best router TalkTalk have to offer, I have tried the rest, they are junk and sent back.
Hammertime
Wise Owl
Solution

KeithFrench wrote:

This is a "hidden" page within the HG633/635 router management system. 

TV over IP is distributed by multicast streams. There are three basic types of IP packet:-

1. Broadcast - one device sends out this packet to all other devices on the same subnet. All devices must inspect the initial part of the packet to see if it is for them & if it is, it must act upon it in some way.
  2. Unicast - a packet exclusively between two IP addresses
  3. Multicast - a kind of closed group that only its members can receive the packet. You have to become a member of this group.

The idea being with any ISP offering TV over IP, is that you only want people to be able to receive these packets & hence media streams, who are paying for them.

Keith

so from what I gather, it's basically for people wishing to or already purchase Movies etc via the set top box, correct ?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Not having the TV package myself, yes from a technical perspective.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Hammertime
Wise Owl

KeithFrench wrote:

Not having the TV package myself, yes from a technical perspective.

Ok @KeithFrench, thanks for confirming Thumbs up