Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

tv freezing

22 REPLIES
pyrie
Team Player

Hi , you will have to excuse me Im a pensioner and not savvy on this subject, but my tv keeps freezing on a channel, and my remote wont work to change it. I have to switch the box off at the back, then turn it back on, sometimes this helps, also my router doesnt have all 6 lights on, or the red light comes on, this seems to happen daily. Hope you can help.

Community Team

Hi

The speed of your line is very low, so definitely a problem somewhere.

Can you check the home phone and make sure there is a clear dial tone ?

Is your router plugged into the main phone socket with a short cable ?

If you have other phone sockets in the house. and they are used, is there a filter plugged in with any phones etc ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

pyrie
Team Player

Hi my phone sounds fine, no other phone lines in the house. I dont understand about the router sorry.

pyrie
Team Player

Hi the router is on a long cable.

Community Team

Hi

The router itself should be as close to the phone socket as possible, usually with the metre long cable supplied.

If you are using any phone extension cables between the router and the phone socket then these will degrade the speed.

Can I just double check, the cable that goes from the phone socket to the router is about 3 feet long ?

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

OCE's Hours of Operation - Mon to Fri 8am to 4pm. Urgent issues outside these times, please use Live Chat

pyrie
Team Player

Unfortunately after 2 days its frozen again.

Community Team

Hi

Are you still using a long phone / adsl cable from the phone socket to the router.  Approximately how long is the cable ?

Thanks

Karl. 

pyrie
Team Player

Hi, only about a metre if that, its now been ok since yesterday afternoon. I have had this same set up for a few years now, and its only this last week I have had this problem.

Community Team

Hi

I don't think this is a TV issue, the TV being affected is a side effect of another problem.

The speed of your line is dropping to low and this will cause problems, so we need to look at this and find out why.

First option before looking at an engineer is to swap out the router to see if it is starting to fail.

I've a new router on the way to you.

Thanks

Karl. 

pyrie
Team Player

Thanks Karl, will keep you updated.

Community Team

No Problem 🙂

Karl 

pyrie
Team Player

Hi Karl,

New router has arrived, do I need someone to sort it for me, as I have no idea about these things, or can I just remove the adaptors from the back of the old one, and put them in the new one, I know this must seem incredible to you but Im a 70 year old computor iliterate lol.

Pyrie.

Community Team

Hi

You can unplug the cables out of the back of the old one and plug them into the new one.  Just remember to use the new power adapter with the new router.

Thanks

Karl. 

pyrie
Team Player

Hi, tv has been working fine since I last was on here, so didnt install new router, however this morning tv is frozen on waking up, and loading so installed new router but it has made no difference, so can you help again. Many thanks.

Community Team

Hi

If the box is stuck on waking up, turn this off for 20 minutes and then power on and retest.  Will it let you perform a Youview Maintenance Reset (Option 2: Keep Recordings).

Thanks

Karl. 

pyrie
Team Player

Hi, no still wont come on, and it wont let me do the maintenence check, is there any way I can dismantle the box, and go back to my normal freeview without the box, as the programmes are the same.

Community Team

Hi

I can get  replacement TV box out to you, is this ok ?

Thanks

Karl. 

pyrie
Team Player

Thank you yes, do I need an engineer to set it up, or would I be able to do it.

Community Team

Hi pyrie

I've just checked and you don't have a TV package with us, Only the phone and broadband, so we are unable to offer a replacement TV box without a TV package.

If only using freeview services you can connect the aerial directly to your TV and this should be freeview enabled.

Thanks

Karl. 

pyrie
Team Player

Well thats great now I have no tv, wish I was never conned into this tv package, will now have to call a tv engineer in, new provider when my contract is up. Living on my own its my only company.