Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

IPV6 rollout ?

15 REPLIES 15
charlesb224
Wise Owl

Now that both BT and SKY have completed the rollout of IPV6 across their respective networks, the question is whether TalkTalk have any intention of rolling this out...

I PM'd a couple of OCE's about this and have had no response....  pipe dream?

hosay299
Insightful One

Hi the oce`s do not reply to PM`d uless they have asked u to for some reason as they try to work on a system oldest post 1st to newest one last.

As in a thead has a post but a reply could push the post back in the que.

If u wait a day or 2 they should reply depends on the amount of post to respond to. as i am still waiting for them to reply to a new post in a old topic of mine been a week so as they say u should do it bump it if no reply or repsonse after some time.

Hope that help Joe R If so then give me a Kudos ( Click the Thumb up Button)
KeithFrench
Community Star

In reality, whilst TalkTalk can still supply you with an IPv4 address, why do you need IPv6? There is no need to worry about it unless of course, you have more than 254 simultaneous devices that you want to connect to your router.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

charlesb224
Wise Owl

Keith

I don't know why you are asking me why I need it.  You already know that IPv6 only sites are not accessible from IPv4 only users, plus with the advent of IoT and the exponential growth in devices accessing the internet, somewhere along the line, TalkTalk must support IPv6.

It's something which is not going to go away, Sky and BT have both rolled it out in dual stack on their network, and that is the kickstart that will accelerate IPv6 usage across the board in the UK, which to date has lagged considerably behind the rest of the world.

If I absolutely need IPv6, I can use Tunnelbroker - my router supports it and I've tested it, but tunnelled IPv6 has drawbacks, most notably performance - my pings on IPv4 increased dramatically and it adds workload to my router, causing my overall speed to drop.

Hence why I'm asking the question, not to be questioned on why I need it.

As this is a Trials board, I would expect that TalkTalk would be more forthcoming about their plans and give opportunities for customers to assist them in this journey.

speculatrix
Team Player

there was a discussion thread about this which has run for more than THREE YEARS without a single comment from TalkTalk.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/General-Technology-Tips-Tricks/When-will-TalkTalk-support-IPv6/t...

IPv6 is becoming vital. It used to be an adjunct to IPv4, but now that's flipped over, with a number of UK providers operating as pure IPv6 and then adding a NAT or proxy to make service be connectible on v4. If you're with EE, you may discover your phone only gets a v4 address, and they nat the internet into a v6 block! 

There are many parts of the world where they do not operate IPv4 services any more.

If you don't understand the important of v6 because v4 still works for you, then you are lucky and haven't seen the problems that NAT and multiple layers of NAT are going to causing. v4 is dying, not worth any more investment in patching it up.

ferguson
Community Star

As I pointed out elsewhere there have been comments from TalkTalk in other threads.

speculatrix
Team Player

oh, and it's perfectly possible to connect a lot more than 254 devices behind an IPv4 natting router, just had a wider netmask on the LAN. But that's not the point.

stoatgobbler
Super Duper Contributor

Equating IPv6 with needing more than 255 addresses behind your router is either trolling or a demonstration of fundamental ignorance of the actual issues at hand.

FWIW:

1: TalkTalk have had a large IPv6 assignment for over 15 YEARS

2: Talktalk Business offers IPv6 (but not to resellers)

IPv4 is increasingly unfit for purpose.

About 5 years ago I asked Ofcom to make a determination that service providers not offering IPv6 should not be allowed to call what they offer Internet (They made a determination like this in 2002 when certain providers were providing walled gardens and calling it Internet)

Ofcom's response at the time was that at some point they would - when IPv6 reached sufficient penetration.

I recently asked them for an update on this. They gave a very evasive non-answer stating that as I was not making a complaint about a specific provider they wouldn't "receive" the query as it was not a complaint and they would only handle complaints.

I suspect it's time people started bombarding Ofcom on the issue.

"OK, now you need to reboot your computer. .... Um, sir, please stop kicking it."
www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/helldeskcable.html~content
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @speculatrix

Yes, I am perfectly well aware that the 254 host limitation can be increased by super-netting, but I doubt if many domestic routers support this.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.

davmil50
Wizz Kid
ferguson
Community Star

The Register, yay, it must be true!  :smileylol:

speculatrix
Team Player

there's actually a healthy IPv4 market now. One company who became prominent by sponsoring the UKNOF, are IPv4 Market Group

http://www.ipv4marketgroup.com/

they did a talk a year ago:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WE7BbpQ0ViE&feature=youtu.be

https://indico.uknof.org.uk/event/35/contribution/12/material/slides/1.pdf

BrianG61UK
Chatterbox

@KeithFrench wrote:

Hi @speculatrix

Yes, I am perfectly well aware that the 254 host limitation can be increased by super-netting, but I doubt if many domestic routers support this.

I have NEVER seen a router that forced the LAN netmask to begin with 255.255.255.

They ALL allow you to put in whatever you want.

BrianG61UK
Chatterbox

@KeithFrench wrote:

Hi @speculatrix

I have NEVER seen a router that forced the LAN netmask to begin with 255.255.255.

They ALL allow you to put in whatever you want.

stoatgobbler
Super Duper Contributor

You should be aware that it looks like using anything other than a /24 (255.255.255.0) will break Bonjour, mdns and other multicast friends.

There are a lot of assumptions made in ipv4-land.

"OK, now you need to reboot your computer. .... Um, sir, please stop kicking it."
www.deadtroll.com/index2.html?/video/helldeskcable.html~content
KeithFrench
Community Star

Hi @BrianG61UK

I made that post six months ago. If you want to discuss this then start a new thread.

Keith