Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Router Trial - D-Link 3780

ChrisFord
Enlightened One
Originally Posted by theronkinator
Right I created two SSIDs, but I don't get the point of it, I presumed it would act as a separate network for guests to keep them off the LAN, but that's not the case so it seems useless?

I agree and cannot see how to restrict the SSID's LAN connection. I wonder whether this option is meant to appear if you "edit" the SSID. I have queried with the "labs" what this edit button is there for as it appears to do nothing for me.
Pulse654321
Conversation Starter
If you tick the edit button it then inputs that SSID into the text box above the list for you literally just edit the name, then you can make the changes in the text box and hit "Add/Apply"
JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
I am also wondering about this feature and looking round the web it would seem some dlink devices support this feature.
www.gilsmethod.com/how-to-create-a-guest-network-with-d-link-routers
But not the 3780 - yet..
I have found the connection speed on fibre about the same but with a very slightly lower (faster) ping speed.
Categories (top) - the menus across the top seem quick (seen as the HG533 ones down the side).
Menu options (side) single items are quick its those with fly out options that seem a little slow.
ADSL light does not flash in Fibre mode.
In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from fibre although I am sooooo far from the green box!.
Rambo1204
Wizz Kid
Hi All,

Before I connect the router, I want to check upstream/downstream rates of my current router (HG533). I'm struggling to find these.

Anyone tell me where to find them please ? BTW, if it makes any difference I have the fibre boost.

Cheers,
Rambo1204
JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Rambo1204,
With fibre the connection between you and the box in the street is done by the white BT Modem the engineer installed.
The web user interface of these devices is disabled.
The only tests are those done with a speed tester.
Cheers,
JamesHappy
In the depths of Bedfordshire, working part time, playing golf, caring for my wife and organising the world around me! Liking the speed from fibre although I am sooooo far from the green box!.
Rambo1204
Wizz Kid
Hi JamesHappy,

Thanks for that.

I suspected that might be the case. I'll run some speedtests before I switch to the 3780.

Cheers,
Rambo1204
JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Hi Rambo1204,
Make sure the TalkTalk Labs Desktop is running as well and change the modem in your profile.
Also note what version your have of the hardware.
Some have notice higher numbers of errors.
Cheers,
JamesHappy
Rambo1204
Wizz Kid
Hi JamesHappy,

Already on it 🙂

Cheers,
Rambo1204
js52
Wizz Kid
Hi,
Can someone help me my one, the wireless keeps disconnecting from all of my devices but is fine via LAN and it was ok with the HG532. I have given all of my devices static IP addresses and changed the wireless channel.
Hope you can help.
Thanks 🙂
Kind Regards,
js52
drummer1966
Philosopher
Just wondering as im about to tinker with some settengs has anyone changed any settings whatsoever to better your trial experience with the 3780?Have they worked in your favour and would you reccomend these as a possibilty in your feedback...cheers DRUM:)
Born to rock:D ...Win 7 64 pieces using Hardwires,invisible waves and ringmain for all my internet needs
JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Hi JS52,
Have you done a scan of the area for other wifi signals?
Are the two routers on the same channel, same BSID, same password and other related settings etc?
Not sure what benifit fixed IP's will bring.
Cheers,
JamesHappy
JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
I have tweaked DNS settings.
As I am on a fibre connection it has a lesser impact.
js52
Wizz Kid
Originally Posted by JamesHappy
Hi JS52,
Have you done a scan of the area for other wifi signals?
Are the two routers on the same channel, same BSID, same password and other related settings etc?
Not sure what benifit fixed IP's will bring.
Cheers,
JamesHappy

Hi,
yes I put the 3780 on channel 8 as my HG532 was on this. All other settings are the same too. I only usually pick up 3 wireless networks on a search 2 of which are my neighbours.
Thanks
Kind Regards,
js52
JamesHappy
Super Duper Contributor
Originally Posted by js52
Hi,
yes I put the 3780 on channel 8 as my HG532 was on this. All other settings are the same too. I only usually pick up 3 wireless networks on a search 2 of which are my neighbors.
Thanks

Hmm, not seen any problems like that here.
Did mess about with turning off wifi b and just having g and n left on.
Seems to help with performance on laptops that support the wifi n band.
The HG533 does not allow for that option.
I would always use dynamic IP for PC's, laptops etc fixed IP for printers and servers etc.
I feel if you have made minimal changes to the setup of the two routers, note the changes made on the HG532, reset the DLink to factory and see if "out of the box" it works.
Otherwise its down to start with a little as possible and expand it till the system/set-up breaks.
Not sure if this will help.
Cheers,
JamesHappy
js52
Wizz Kid
Originally Posted by JamesHappy
Hmm, not seen any problems like that here.
Did mess about with turning off wifi b and just having g and n left on.
Seems to help with performance on laptops that support the wifi n band.
The HG533 does not allow for that option.
I would always use dynamic IP for PC's, laptops etc fixed IP for printers and servers etc.
I feel if you have made minimal changes to the setup of the two routers, note the changes made on the HG532, reset the DLink to factory and see if "out of the box" it works.
Otherwise its down to start with a little as possible and expand it till the system/set-up breaks.
Not sure if this will help.
Cheers,
JamesHappy

Thanks for the reply. Yeah the HG532 was good but wireless speed was less. I have hardly made any changes but this is all part of trialling a router. I will reset it tomorrow and see how it goes but I don't think it'll help. Maybe royal mail dropped it, wouldn't be the first! 🙂 Note: This is happening on all wireless devices connected but not LAN connected ones!
Kind Regards,
js52
Pulse654321
Conversation Starter
I've had my feedback questionnaire, does that mean this trail is coming to an end?
adduncan
Wizz Kid
Ive just received the questionnaire too
Digicom
Super Duper Contributor
received and completed the survey also 😛

★Desk Jockey★Extended Profile★Account Verified★Feedback Loop★Basic Profile★
★Got Potential★Active Participant★Completionist★Small Game Hunter★
peteowen37
Popular Poster
Originally Posted by Digicom
received and completed the survey also 😛

Survey completed.

Anyone tried to reset their 3780.

Straight out of box, got reasonable speeds {Fibre Optic} although 4mg less than my HG352 also got a good wireless connection on downstairs laptop.. However going into routers ui, I let the router set up using the wizard, now getting a worse speed and the wireless strength has dropped.

Tried to reset router back to factory setting, but nothing happens?:confused:
bestmanx3
Philosopher
Originally Posted by Pulse654321
I've had my feedback questionnaire, does that mean this trail is coming to an end?

No that is the initial "first Impressions" survey, the trials usually last several weeks and at the end you will be asked to complete an Exit survey.;)

Regards

Community Terms of Service========“Please read"========Community Guidelines

MVC_sig_pomo_baz.png