cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

New Router Trial - D-Link 3780

billybob
Philosopher
just to add what as allready been said, great looking unit.
being black it sits nicely on the booster speaker next to the tv stand and blends in.
no change in speeds up to now but its only been plugged in for an hour or so, but i am hopeing that will improve a little. lollol

and i hate coffee, now a nice strong mug of tea, :drool::drool::drool:
barney's rabbit suki dug me my new home, and its lovely and warm.
"If we ever need a new CM then baz134dog would be my choice"
Be nice to your kids: they'll choose your nursing home.
alweekes
Team Player
Interesting, I wonder if mine has an issue. I'm comparing the UI speed to the HG532, which is way faster than this 3780!
ChrisFord
Enlightened One
Set mine up yesterday. I am on fibre and the wired speeds are much the same as the HG533 as is the wireless upload speed but the wireless download is significantly faster. I took 5 speed readings using internet-speedtest.net with the HG533 (average D/L speed 49,080) quickly followed by 5 readings with the 3780 (average D/L speed 72,436), a huge improvement.

Also pleased to note that the DLNA server works with my PURE "Flow" radios, which the HG533 version never did.
drummer1966
Philosopher
The Drums Sum So Far:)Alls good so far with the 3780 . Interface much the same and just as simple to use and to change settings as the 2780. Wireless side of things showing a stronger wireless push throughout my property than the 2780 ,and that wasnt bad at all. The only thing ive noticed after running constanTly on for around 24 hrs is that whilst my line speed up has slightly improved my down speed has dropped very slightly to 17794 kbps from a steady 18546 kbps,,,certainly nothing to worry about at moment.My line attenuation has changed from 11.1(2780) to 9.8 up(3780) with the s/n margin up changing from 8.4(2780) to 11.9(3780) The down attenuation has changed from 24.0(2780) to 24.2(3780) and the down s/n margin has changed from 6.0(2780) to 6.2(3780) Total errors around 3042 on the 2780 and now reading around 452 on the 3780...Going to measure wireless d/b levels around the house later and make comparisons to the 2780.lol wot a geeklollollollol:D:D:D:D ..Cheers the DRUM;)
Born to rock:D ...Win 7 64 pieces using Hardwires,invisible waves and ringmain for all my internet needs
Pulse654321
Conversation Starter
Nah its a fair point about the wireless signal, compared to my old HG523a this has gotmuch better coverage. Mine is by the front door and in our back bedroom I only use to get 1-2/4 on my phone and 1/4 on my partners now we both get 3-4/4. Much improved and the throughput itself is great increased, had problems streaming to the Xbox before and now its spot on.
boris beaver
Wizz Kid
My kids have commented on the increase of wifi speed. Both of their laptops use wifi, whilst I use wired when at home as my laptop is within a couple of feet of the router.
PhilH
Conversation Starter
The old HG523a had sync speed down 5974 kbps, s/n margin around 9.5-9, and I clocked 200 hours with 0 error seconds.
The 3780 has sync speed down 6798, s/n margin in the morning at about 8 drifting down to 4.5-4 in the evening. However it retains connection and it has now been running for 46 hours and has accumulated 1033 error secs.
I don't know whether the increased speed is causing the s/n margin to decrease and error seconds to increase like this. Maybe the 3780 is a bit too sensitive in some way:confused::confused:
Yes, the UI is very slow:eek:
But I do like the increased signal range:D. In our house with solid stone walls we can now use our ipad in rooms which were previously no-go areas for wifi signals.
PS Have just put USB memory stick in and can access it from the PC. Now I'd like to access the files from our iPad. Anyone got any suggestions for turning an iPad into a useful tool rather than just a nice toy?
xraxor
Chatterbox
Received mine just yday. Was easy to set up. The UI is good, but i think i prefered my old 523a's UI. Nevertheless it works great.

Sync speeds went down a bit, but downloads speeds is on par.

Wireless range seems to have improved. I wil provide more data soon.
alweekes
Team Player
I can also report far better signal strength from the DSL3780, compared to the HG532.
In the most extreme case, at the furthest distance from the router the difference in signal strength is almost 20dB, as measured using my Galaxy SII and the WiFi analyzer app.
The downside is wireless throughput is worse, none of the N devices in the house will connect at more than 65Mbps, I'm going to drop the HG532 back in to compare.
Both myself and my two boys were having trouble streaming Youtube videos (although by contrast HD iPlayer was solid via wireless) but disabling the WMM extensions in the wireless settings seems to have fixed this, which is a little counter-intuitive. Need to repeat this test and report back.
That UI is painful though 😉
Andy.
Edit: Just tried turning WMM on and it seems OK now, so could just have been a Youtube / network issue.
Pulse654321
Conversation Starter
With regards to the wireless speed not going over 65mbps, I had the same problem, you need to go into the advanced wireless settings and set it to force 300mbps.
Problem solved!
Go to the advanced wireless setup and change "Channel Width" to "Force 300Mbps"
This setting is found but logging in, go Advanced from the basic setup page, Advanced tab, Advanced Wireless (On the left), then WLAN Performance.
Or follow This link when logged in.
peteowen37
Popular Poster
Originally Posted by ALW
Interesting, I wonder if mine has an issue. I'm comparing the UI speed to the HG532, which is way faster than this 3780!

At present after 3 days of testing, my 3780 is a slower in download speeds than the HG532.
brummyfan1
Wizz Kid
Originally Posted by peteowen37
At present after 3 days of testing, my 3780 is a slower in download speeds than the HG532.

Give it a few more days, it seems working well with DLM, I found out this morning that it has reduced SNR from 9dB to 7.2dB.
★Desk Jockey | ★Extended Profile | ★Basic Profile | ★Account Verified | ★Got Potential | ★Feedback Loop | ★Active Participant | ★Completionist
Craighew
Conversation Starter
PhilH
Now I'd like to access the files from our iPad. Anyone got any suggestions for turning an iPad into a useful tool rather than just a nice toy?
You could use it to wedge your door open on windy days.:D
wolfen
Super Duper Contributor
Having problems with my DSL. Connects lower than the HG532, loads pages slowly, and flatly refuses to carry out any speedtest. Maybe I got the runt of the litter.:confused:
Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive anyway.
theronkinator
Super Duper Contributor
Originally Posted by PhilH
PS Have just put USB memory stick in and can access it from the PC. Now I'd like to access the files from our iPad. Anyone got any suggestions for turning an iPad into a useful tool rather than just a nice toy?

Jailbreak and put XBMC on it, it will play any files you throw at it then.
¬¬¬¬¬¬
criftin
Team Player
On the 3780 brief page it states “USB port for storage and printing (Pre-configured for enhanced user experience)” any one managed to connect a usb printer and get it working.
Jean0511
Wizz Kid
Originally Posted by TalkTalk Labs
TalkTalk Labs are taking applications from ADSL and Fibre customers for a trial of the D-Link DSL 3780. It's a 4 port N router, with enhanced components and features.

To apply, please make sure you have an Extended Profile (We will only be selecting from applicants with Extended Profile) and follow the trial links on www.talktalk-labs.com.

Sorry, we are not accepting applications from TalkTalk TV customers at this time, until it has undergone further TV-specific testing. Please refrain from applying if you have TalkTalk TV (YouView) or the legacy TV platform.

Good luck, we'll announce those who have been selected over the next week or so.:cool:

Thanks all

Still not received mine, tweeted you, emailed you... No response at all. I've been in waiting for this to arrive and nothing yet everyone else has got they're router.
theronkinator
Super Duper Contributor
Right I created two SSIDs, but I don't get the point of it, I presumed it would act as a separate network for guests to keep them off the LAN, but that's not the case so it seems useless?
¬¬¬¬¬¬
whitecliffs
Super Duper Contributor
Now I'd like to access the files from our iPad. Anyone got any suggestions for turning an iPad into a useful tool rather than just a nice toy?

Perhaps I do not understand what you are after but I use the File Browser APP and can interrogate files on the laptop, desktop and the NAS which is connected to the 3780 with no bother whatsoever, the FB cost £1.90 I think.
PhilH
Conversation Starter
Whitecliffs
Thanks for the response. I'd posted a fuller question,ie
"I can connect a memory stick or an external drive to the USB port on the router and access it from my PC but to be truly useful it would be great to be able to access it from my iPad to be able to easily exchange documents or photos between the 2 devices without going through some sort of Cloud service like Skydrive."
over on the Apple Issues part of this forum lest anyone with iPad experience were reading that rather than this thread. I'd seen the File Browser app but it wasn't clear to me whether it required going through some sort of Cloud service.
Thanks again.
Update:
I've just installed File Browser and it has immediately recognised the memory stick in the router. Brilliant!! Next will try an external hard drive but no reason to think it won't work.