NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is Fiber-Powered Internet as good as Pure Fiber Connection?

aryankanse6
First Timer
Message 2 of 2

Hi I'm from the Philippines and ISPs only have started providing Fiber Internet and its availability is somewhat limited and problematic. I read about the different types of fiber connection such as, FTTP ,FTTB and FTTC/FTTN/FTTS. There are some companies who offer pure fiber connection, from my understanding I think its called FTTP however there are no cables yet in my area. Then there is one company that offers "fiber-powered" connection and I think its FTTC.

So I wanted to ask whether should I just wait to get a pure fiber connection or is a "fiber-powered" connection as good?

0 Likes
1 REPLY 1

Birchcroft
Philosopher
Message 1 of 2

A Fibre Powered (FTTC) will not be as fast as a Pure Fibre (FTTP) connection.

FTTP can offer speeds of up to 1Gbit/s, but around 300Mbit/s is probably more common.

FTTC services are typically sold as offering speeds of ‘up to' 38Mbit/s or 76Mbit/s.  Although in some areas where G.Fast is available you can get 150Mbit/s.

Generally the higher the speed the more expensive the service is going to be.

FTTC is more than capable of supporting video streaming, gaming, etc and is good enough for most domestic users.

More information can be found here.

As to whether or not it is worth waiting for FTTP, that depends on how long you are willing to wait without any internet access.  Depending on where you are FTTP may already be available, or may not be available for many months, or even years.

You can find out if FTTP is available at your address here.

0 Likes