NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keyboard kills mouse! Help?

davep
Insightful One
Message 10 of 10

Old PC used occasionally.  Today, when I used the keyboard, the mouse and keyboard froze.  I've searched and can't find a simple solution.  Switching off and unplugging gives usable mouse which stops when key used.  It has Win 10, which doesn't show keyboard in device manager.

Different mouse and keyboard no change.  It has serial connectors for each.  I don't have either USB keyboard or mouse.  The Win10 on screen keyboard works.

Apart from re-cycle / dump the PC, if anyone has any ideas I'd give it a go as long as not too complicated.

Thanks in advance

Will reply if this new forum doesn't completely frustrate me.  My Avatar at top right has 1 in red, but can't see why.  It also says I have 2 PM's but I don't

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

can't find that in search.  Problem solved - reinstalled my old Win 7 HD.   Shame I can't reinstall old community board. 

Unlikely I'll look at this again.  If OCE or CS can close it that would be appreciated.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

WINDOWS 10 AUTOMATIC UPDATES.png

Message 3 of 10

It's the experience of many according to search.

It seems update in Win10 can't be turned off.  Unbelievable!

Still working this morning so closing thread - but can't find how on this new forum!!!!

No more replies thanks

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

@davep wrote:

showing in Device Manager and was working, so shut down.  Win 10 seems to automatically update and can cause these problems.  Don't like to guess what will happen next time I use it.

If you genuinely believe that the automatic updates are the root cause of your woes davep, then simply toggle that particular option OFF, albeit temporarily!

~R.

0 Likes

Message 5 of 10

@Piethorne sorry, missed your reply, and didn't get email notification......

I was messing and possibly got things working.

Thanks for the link.  One problem is that with no mouse or keyboard one is somewhat stumped.  I got by as mouse worked as long as I didn't touch the keyboard.

0 Likes

davep
Insightful One
Message 6 of 10

I tried a restore yesterday but didn't work.  Tried again today with Antivirus off.  Restore worked after ~90 min and keyboard showing in Device Manager and was working, so shut down.  Win 10 seems to automatically update and can cause these problems.  Don't like to guess what will happen next time I use it.

0 Likes

Piethorne
Chat Champion
Message 7 of 10

Possible solution, but requires a registry hack: https://superuser.com/questions/996001/do-ps2-keyboards-work-on-windows-10

I'm just a customer who might be able to help, not official help & support.
0 Likes

davep
Insightful One
Message 8 of 10

thanks for the reply.  Avatar now shows 4 and no idea how to get rid, still have "2 messages" to which I'm sure I replied.

New set up of community is a definite way backward step.  Only really used it now to see if there was anyone who had the keyboard problem but couldn't resist putting the bit about the forum, sorry!

0 Likes

I8this
Philosopher
Message 9 of 10

@davep  what I found with this new layout is if there are PM,s that you have read but have not replied to, then that is how it continues to appear.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions. If you have nothing nice to say, then say nothing at all. Now a wizard.
0 Likes