NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Team Viewer - Simple solution

WebTech
First Timer
Message 4 of 4

Hello community users... Post Date - 15 July 2018

As a paying consumer (and former business user) and after expressing my discontent to a Talk Talk Manager, (so he claimed) at how TalkTalk has failed to communicate the fact that as a consumer ISP, it has taken upon itself to block Team Viewer (Software) and website by blocking the DNS servers to Talk Talk Customers and without making it clear why or when this would come into effect or for what duration of time this would be effective and that this practice is not acceptable and will raise this with Ofcom.

Whilst I appreciate Talk Talk is trying to protect it's consumers, it needs to be more effective with it's communication - an not just via this forum but that of the main Talk Talk website.

I, like many, have only found out  that Team Viewer had been blocked when I needed to use the software (which I have been using for over 10 years) - in an emergency and found I couldn't use it thanks to Team Viewer Support who told me. So instead of being able access what I needed within a matter of minutes, it took a matter of days due to security protocols.

Despite my querying this with Talk Talk support (Tier 1) who were no use whatsoever, it took almost a week for a Manager to contact me (Saturday 14 July 2018), again, this is simply not acceptable and they have been advised on what they should do to resolve this... quite simple, liase with Team Viewer to discuss the issues and find an acceptable solution, no simply block and anger the consumer who has an expectaton of service provision.

So.....

Information is key

Simple & Quick Solution(s)

1. If you are able and only as a temporary measure - use your mobile as a 'hotspot';
  2. Without having to change the ISP DNS server data to say Google DNS; quite simple. Utilise VPN
  3. Try browser extensions - Chrome Store/Microsoft Store provide VPN Extensions - some are free*.

Note: Be sure to do your research on anything provided 'FREE'... it's free for a reason, consider your security. Look what persmissions it requires. However, to be honest, if you utilise a VPN, it will give you additional security if you are accessing other hardware remotely but be sure to adjust any security policy (if you are IT Support you'll know this already) to reflect the changes or you may find you are still 'locked out'.

Apologies for the long winded post but I hope that the Talk Talk Management and Tier 3 Support and above see this post. Such practices need to stop, we pay to use a service, we have levels of expectation as to the service provided. Whilst we appreciate Talk Talk is looking to protect the consumer, such actions as blocking without providing a workaround solution is simply not acceptable and could have cost hundreds, if not thousands of pounds in lost time and revenue as a result. Not everyone is tech savy.

0 Likes
3 REPLIES 3

Message 1 of 4

Hi @WebTech

TalkTalk has been actively blocking several remote access software websites used by scammers and this blocking commenced on 6 December 2017 just over 8 months ago. 

@WebTech wrote:  It should not take in excess of 12 months to provide a solution to a consumer to without having to totally bar the DNS Servers on Team Viewer.

Customers that wish to use remote access software have long-since had the choice of switching off Scam Protection - an 'unblock switch'. I can still use the essential security features of TalkTalk DNS, switch off Scam Protection as I have been, as and when required by using this switch, anytime over the last 8 months, and do have full functionality of remote access software.

@WebTech wrote: One thing to consider is that I am not using a Talk Talk router either.

Unlike some ISP's that allow only ISP supplied routers TalkTalk allow customers to use their own router so long as it's approved for connection to the Openreach network.  My router works fine with or without Scam Protection, with or without TalkTalk DNS.  If you don't wish to use the security of TalkTalk's fast local DNS you don't have to. You can choose to use a more distant DNS location overseas, if you wish, off the TalkTalk network.

@WebTech wrote:  I need to have functionality on demand, not be restricted by my ISP if the issue is not contrary to an statutory instrument of law.

And in relation to the law, TalkTalk blocks websites used by scammers to protect customers.  But customers still have the ability to use remote access software when they wish to by using the 'unblock' switch. TalkTalk, and other ISP's do block illegal websites when High Court Orders so require. TalkTalk does not offer an 'unblock' switch for such websites in some 'unrestricted freedom of the Internet' scenario.

TalkTalk DNS security features help to protect against the scammers' malware that's regularly found in such sites.  It is recommended to use real-time anti-virus and anti-malware solutions for additional protection. 

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes

Message 2 of 4

Hi @Gondola

WIth regret, your solutions do not provide access to website or indeed software functionality. The workaround you (and notedly others before you) did not resolve or bypass the block. This was tested and whilst I was talking to the Manager at the time. One thing to consider is that I am not using a Talk Talk router either. The Manager did apologise and considering it was me that gave him the hassle free solutions and equally agreed that Talk Talk did not provide sufficient communication out to the end user and which Team Viewers own support very kindly gave me the information regarding Talk Talk's actions in regards to their DNS.

So whilst this issue has been ongoing for some time in various formats, you may want to be retisent aboiut the active co-operation. It should not take in excess of 12 months to provide a solution to a consumer to without having to totally bar the DNS Servers on Team Viewer.

No offence, but the solutions I have given are equally as safe and secure even if they do circumnavigate Talk Talk DNS... I need to have functionality on demand, not be restricted by my ISP if the issue is not contrary to an statutory instrument of law.

0 Likes

Gondola
Community Star
Message 3 of 4

Hi @WebTech

TalkTalk and TeamViewer do actively co-operate in the fight against scammers that operate so-called support services.

TalkTalk have included Scam Protection as part of HomeSafe (Click here)

You can easily switch off Scam Protection, if you choose, by simply logging into My Account once, navigate to your HomeSafe Setting then select “Off” to turn off Scam Protection.  If you come across a blocking message then the link to your MyAccount is there also.  There's no need to talk to TeamViewer or do anything other than follow the instructions.

If scammers have accessed your pc here's what to do: Support after scammers have accessed your pc (Click here)

GondolaVolunteer 2017-2022

Like below to appreciate my help . . . Mark as solved  Accept as Solution

0 Likes