NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What do you think of Windows 11

ifanyonecan
Whizz Kid
Message 13 of 13

Capture.JPG

0 Likes
12 REPLIES 12

Mr Bear 1
Whizz Kid
Message 1 of 13

Being retired, curious and easily bored I tried installing Windows 11 on an unsupported pc. It's easy enough to do: use Microsoft's media creation tool to make a bootable USB stick and off you go. I installed it to a 1TB rotating drive I had lying around and it runs acceptable well although not a quickly as Windows 10 from an SSD. Interestingly, it picked up the Windows 10 product key from the UEFI so as far as Microsoft are concerned it's a licensed copy. The pc presumably isn't supported because AMD A10 series are prone to some combination of Meltdown/Spectre/Zombieload (I've forgotten which one AMD doesn't suffer from) but runs well enough. How long it will tolerate Firefox as my default browser is anyone's guess. Other than that, it's noticable how often when setting up networking it thinks it's Windows 10. Everything needed to network with W10 is there but you have to find it.

It feels very unfinished: the taskbar can't be moved and plenty of textx still say W10 rather than W11. I can't see any benefit to running it until W10 goes out of support unless, when it arrives, you want to run Android apps.

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 2 of 13

Oh yes, retired for four years now and have never looked back.  🙂

0 Likes

GerryMac
Philosopher
Message 3 of 13

That will be a year short of me taking early retirement so that alone will keep me going..??

YNWA-JFT 97

ferguson
Community Star
Message 4 of 13

@GerryMac Windows 10 has a support end date of 2025, so you have no worries on that score. 

GerryMac
Philosopher
Message 5 of 13

@AllyM 

Yes...all the new specs will cost so I,ll wait and continue with W10 and my set-up. The way things are going now I might have to sell it to get to work in the car the way fuel prices are rising..lol and the rest!!!

Cheers.

YNWA-JFT 97

0 Likes

ferguson
Community Star
Message 6 of 13

Presumably the only concern with Windows 7 is that it is no longer supported by Microsoft. No point in upgrading, or throwing kit away if it still does what you need. 

0 Likes

Message 7 of 13

@GerryMac wrote:

Looks like I,ll need to shell out for a newer processer to get W11..

Think I,ll wait a bit..

CPUs and graphics cards are hugely expensive currently due to the chip manufacturing shortages.

I'll need a new CPU, which also means new motherboard to support current generation CPU, which means new memory also. Probably good idea at the same time to get larger, faster hard drives and a few other bits and pieces.

Not sure it's worth it just to upgrade to Windows 11. As others have said the main differences are basically just cosmetic. I haven't heard of anything Windows 11 has that I need.

All general PCs and laptops at my workplace still running Windows 7.

Also one PC I use to test specific pieces of equipment still running Windows 95, but that another story I guess.

GerryMac
Philosopher
Message 8 of 13

Looks like I,ll need to shell out for a newer processer to get W11..

Think I,ll wait a bit..

YNWA-JFT 97

0 Likes

Aroonie_
Chatterbox
Message 9 of 13

to be quite honest its just a design update might as well go back to windows 7.

0 Likes

davep
Insightful One
Message 10 of 13

Win 10 - if I can summon up the energy!

0 Likes

Message 11 of 13

@davep wrote:

I think I'll go back to Win 7

.......... from where, davep?

~M.

0 Likes

davep
Insightful One
Message 12 of 13

I think I'll go back to Win 7 - well you did ask!