Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

How do I create a new topic

23 REPLIES
px03afk
Wizz Kid

Can somebody please explain why the Start a new Topic button is so hard to find, other than the obvious answer that TT don't want us to post new topics.  Please TT put it somewhere where the average user can find it easily, like right next to the Need Some Help box or at least at the top of the search results.  I've had to look for about two minutes to find it again and go through 5 screens to get to it.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @px03afk

If you use the gold Browse tab on the top left of each page it will take you to the main posting points in the forum.

The blue Start a Topic button is always top left below the header and before the individual topics. Yes, some pages do have notices below the header so you have to scroll down to the button. And on a mobile you'll scroll down a bit.

Gondola - Community support team *

To appreciate my support  . . .  If I helped with a solution Best Answer

px03afk
Wizz Kid

So, three clicks to get to a page where the button is located.  Why not have it right there on Browse.  Also, if you try to get in any other ways, such as searching the forum, I don't see any option to create a new topic.  So after searching you still have to click on Browse on potentially go right back to where you were searching.

Not user friendly.

ferguson
Community Star

The Start a topic button is at the top of each sub-section of the forums, the idea being that a member will look for the area which is the nearest fit to their issue and post there.

px03afk
Wizz Kid

But the thing that is most prominent on the page is the Need Some Help box, which is therefore the likely thing that a lot of people will do first.  So, even though the Browse my be logical in some contexts, Need Help is in others and yet when you go that way you can't see an option to start something new.

ferguson
Community Star

You're right, it is and in some cases it will hopefully provide an answer, or at least a pointer to a solution. The idea being precisely that you ask a question first before starting a new topic which may have been covered before.

px03afk
Wizz Kid

You seem to be missing the point. Yes, it makes sense to search first but if you can't find what you are looking for, how are you supposed to know that you have to then use the Browse button to be able to start a thread with your topic when there is nothing on the results page to tell you.  The old forum pages at least had something along the lines of 'Can't find what you want do you want to start a new thread'

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @px03afk

It's 2 or 3 clicks to get to the main posting points and Start a Topic pretty much from whichever route you take. 

How would you reduce that and try and maximise the potential poster getting to the appropriate posting point?  This is a serious question because people often post in the wrong places or tag onto other customers' posts instead of starting their own topic.

I personally feel that having lots of Start a Topic buttons on the Browse menu, a) wouldn't look good, b) wouldn't be appropriate for every person 'just browsing' and c) would still be 3 clicks.

px03afk
Wizz Kid

I wonder if people post on to another post is because they can't easily find the button to start a new one, which is why I would suggest that the button is somewhere within the results. 

As for getting the correct place for a post, well howmany options to they have and how clear is it for the to understand the importance of getting it right. 

You might also want to consider the possibility that people will tag on to any existing post simply because they can't work out how to start a new one and therefore don't care whether it's in the correct subject area.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @px03afk

Good points. I certainly feel new community members don't get enough direction on the importance of starting their own topic in order to receive individual help.

And yes, not enough direction on how to start their own topic and narrow it down to the appropriate forum.

As you say, people will search the Community for answers.  This is an excellent starting point. But then they see someone with the same or similar issue and tag onto that rather than starting their own topic. OK if they're providing constructive help to the topic owner but not if they're actively seeking help themselves. This just confuses the help being offered to the owner of the topic.

So, yes, search for answers, but if the member needs help or advice then definitely start a topic. Where would you put this guidance? Do you have an example of another forum where it's handled better?

px03afk
Wizz Kid

Maybe it needs to be with the Best Answer, Reply and Quick Reply buttons.  Something which is snappy but gets the point across, e.g. Please only reply to this thread if you have something to add.  If you need help for something else please create a new thread and I would include the button to create a new thread right there.

It may well be that not having an easy way to start their own thread when they can't find the answer they are looking for it simpler to tag something to the post that looks most like their problem.  

However you also need to recognise that if they have the same problem they might not be able to offer anything useful but wish to add further evidence that the problem exists and maybe a different manifestation.  Mind you that requires judgement that this is the same problem.

Can't say that I could point you to a forum which works better but maybe keywords would help.  I've seen forums where the users can insert keywords to limit searches and that can sometimes help.

Gondola
Community Star

Hi @px03afk

Good thoughts. Maybe other members can contribute to enhance your thread. 

@StephenF  looks at this section of Community so he'll appreciate your input.

StephenF
Community Manager

px03afk wrote:

Can somebody please explain why the Start a new Topic button is so hard to find, other than the obvious answer that TT don't want us to post new topics.  Please TT put it somewhere where the average user can find it easily, like right next to the Need Some Help box or at least at the top of the search results.  I've had to look for about two minutes to find it again and go through 5 screens to get to it.

Hey, 

Welcome to the community, at the risk of sounding rude, you've already started a new topic by posting the above question so i'm not sure what it is you're struggling to post/do... 

Every discussion area of the community "board" will have a blue button that says "Start Topic" you would have clicked that to post this topic, you just hit the button type your message and hit post and that's your topic started. 

Let me know if you're still struggling???

Stephen, Community Manager

monto
Wizz Kid

Well I am hoping that some-one  will say how to find the start a new topic  button  for me also.

I   need to post a new topic.........  some-one e-mail me please  I need help.

px03afk
Wizz Kid

I am no longer struggling as I now know how to find the place, that is until the site changes again.  I was making the point that if you search for something and you don't find what you are looking for there is no obvious way to start a new thread.  Just because I have managed to find my way around the vagueness of this site doesn't mean that other people will be able to.

StephenF
Community Manager

monto wrote:

Well I am hoping that some-one  will say how to find the start a new topic  button  for me also.

I   need to post a new topic.........  some-one e-mail me please  I need help.

Hi,

You have already created a topic, you may be better speaking to someone in our chat team

Thanks

Stephen, Community Manager

monto
Wizz Kid
I have done just that posted to a reply as I also couldnt find out how to post
anker
Community Star

@monto

To Start a Topic

Click Help with your Service ( Top of page Centre )

Choose your board and click it.

Click Start a aTopic ( and your in Business :smileywink: Simples )

Just when I was getting used to yesterday, along came today

I have Just screwed up again

px03afk
Wizz Kid
Seems to me that the problem that monto has is exactly what I was getting at. How would you know that you had to go through the described steps as I don't they are at all obvious, especially to anyone who doesn't use these systems very often. This is Joe Public using these forums, not technical wizards.
monto
Wizz Kid

You should read  my follow on post finding ways around   new webpages

its the problems on the accounts site