NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gaming Router compatability

Greadman
Conversation Starter
Message 1 of 2

Hi, I have the UFO setup with the WiFi router. The router performance is ok but WiFi range isn't great and for one reason or another, power-line adaptors aren't much better. I'm looking to buy a decent gaming router but wondering if this is compatible with Talktalk if I do so. Probably get a tri-band ASUS one.

Thanks

G

1 REPLY 1

NatsWallis
Chatterbox
Message 2 of 2

I just bought and installed a tp-link AX50 that was on offer pre-Black Friday for £99.99. In the end I bought it from John Lewis since the usual suspects (Amazon and Ebuyer) had none and everyone else was selling it at about £149.99.

It is a dual band router and it is ideal with my rather extensive home automation of about 40 different devices using the 2.4g channel, leaving the 5g channel for my phone and tablet.

My rather high spec PC and all the ethernet switches/hubs are gigabit throughput and ultimately feed back to a Netgear Smart Switch that then connects to the new router.

Before this, I was using a industrial/business basic technicolor router and it really was struggling with all the wifi devices and even with TalkTalk UFO fibre I was getting only about 9mb/s on my phone despite the TalkTalk ultra fast broadband was routinely delivering about 850-950mbps to my ethernet connected PCs.

It has taken me the best part of a day to tweak the controls of the tp-link AX50 but now my ethernet devices still get the same throughput download and upload as before (as you might expect) but the Wifi devices are running superbly on 2.4g and my phone is racking up 380-450 mbps in both directions on the dedicated 5g channel.

So I can recommend the much cheaper but well reviewed tp-link AX50 (you definitely need the newer AX model and not the older AC versions) and have the ability to use the Series 6 protocols (I have those turned off atm - thought it better to get a stable system with IP 4 protocols first of all) Then you have to start to find any other bottlenecks unrelated to your broadband like v2.1 or 2.2 HDMI cables ! 

I cannot say setting the router up was plain sailing but with so many controls to consider and a bit of trial and error, you will get there and tp-link has a well established community of decent people to help you along.

Well, it is 2 months since  you posted but I dare say you might have already bought a replacement router but I would suggest you don't rely upon this forum to help you configure the new router, it is well beyond the competence of most folk who only rely upon a more simple home network that only has to deliver browser windows and streaming channels' delivery.

Best wishes

Nats Wallis
Old lady from York with IT skills