NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow Broadband

John07
Team Player
Message 30 of 30

A month or so ago I noticed a change in my phone's ring tone - similar to that found in the USA, which would indicate a change in Network equipment. Since then my router has been randomly disconnecting. There has also been a noticeable drop in speed, causing videos to hang. A network test just a short time ago showed a speed of just 7mbs, which is far short of the promised 26mbs. Carrying out tests at various times during the day shows download speeds ranging from 7mbs to 25 mbs. In my view, this indicates a network bandwidth issue, with speeds slowing considerably at high use times of the day. Whilst I have raised this with the 'chat' service, there only response is to make an appointment for an engineer to visit, which to my mind would be a totally pointless exercise. I do not understand as to why Talktalk cannot refer my problem to their network division for investigation. Has any one else experienced the same problem, or has a resolution.

29 REPLIES 29

Message 1 of 30

No problem John, happy to help 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 2 of 30

Hi Chris

Thank you for the update.

A bridge tap sounds like a line contact. I cannot imagine BT leaving a fault ticket open without some good reason, as it will undoubtedly impact on their performance targets.

I have noticed an improvement in speed this morning, with the TT 'Ookia' test showing a download speed of 21 and my own app showing 29. It would be nice if TT undertook their own calibration tests, so as to confirm the accuracy of the Ookia figure. 

My original issue with my broadband service was that the connection was randomly dropping, however, that has not happened for some weeks now. The speed issue is a 'nice to have' and has not prevented me from using the internet in a reasonable manner.

I think it best that we now wait for BT to provide a final close to the fault ticket, when hopefully some further information might be made available.  

Many thanks for your assistance in this matter.

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 3 of 30

Hi John,

Earlier line tests did show a bridge tap but the last couple of test don't and the sync speed has improved so it does look as though there has been some action taken although we've received no update at all from Openreach

As it stands if you are experiencing slow throughput speeds we will have to close the old Openreach ticket and raise a new one for an engineer visit to your home as the line test is now passing and not picking up any faults.

If you are seeing some differences in speed test results you could try downloading a file to see what sort of speeds you get then

Thanks

Chris

0 Likes

Message 4 of 30

Hi Chris

Thank you for your prompt response, however, I am still left mystified.

With regard to the Service Centre, it would seem to me to be of little value, if the information provided cannot be relied upon.

There must be a reason as to why BT has not yet closed the fault ticket - perhaps only a temporary solution has been provided?

When I first raised the identified problem with the 'chat' service, I was told that there was a 'bridge tap' on the line. Is that the identified 'track Fault'?

Lastly, I did pm you with the history of my TT measured line speeds over the last few days, which shows a decline (now down to 15 Mbps), however, when I use a non TT network test app, the recorded speeds are much higher. Is the TT network test speed facility also a complete waste of time, if your testing shows download speeds as being more than twice as high?

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 5 of 30

Hi John

I think the information in service centre is just showing that we have an open fault ticket, which we do. We don't really use Service Centre for diagnostics, we run diagnostics with the customer and run line tests (if the issue requires this), we then book an engineer if required. The type of engineer (appointed or non-appointed) depends on the test results. The initial test showed a fault but the latest tests are clear and the sync speed has improved so to investigate further we'll need to arrange an engineer visit to the home as this is is the only option for a line test that's Passing, hope that makes sense

Chris

0 Likes

Message 6 of 30

Hi Chris

Thank you for the update.

I would admit to finding this matter extremely mystifying. I have just run a live connection test on the TT Service Centre, which states ‘You have one open case - we suspect an issue with your Broadband’. It also still shows ‘Track Fault’ – ‘we are finding you an engineer'.

With regard to speed, the system states ‘speed to your router, measured TODAY - 25mbps.’

Is the information being provided by the online Service Centre a complete waste of time and has little connection with reality? If not, it would seem to me that the identified Track Fault should first be closed by BT, before any further investigative measures are undertaken.

I did request some insight into the identified track fault and would be grateful for an update on this item.

Quite clearly, if I took my car into a garage and asked for an issue to be looked at, I would expect a full explanation on the problem identified and the fix before being fully satisfied that the car had been properly repaired. I do not see why a similar approach is not taken by TT.

Is there a communication problem with BT?

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 7 of 30

Hi John,

I've run a couple of different line tests and they are both clear now, router is in sync at 36.4Mbps. As the line test is now clear then if your throughput speeds are still low we'll need to re-raise this to Openreach as an appointed visit to your home. If you'd like us to go ahead with this please let us know and we'll confirm some details

Chris

0 Likes

Message 8 of 30

Hi Chris

As requested, I turned the router off for about an hour yesterday evening, but can see little improvement.

A test this morning (using the TT facility) with the router still directly connected to the NTE5 and my phone within just a few feet of the router, recorded a download speed of just 16mbps. This speed was confirmed with a second test.

The TT Service Centre recorded an overnight test speed of 24mbps (poor) and still indicates a Track Fault - waiting to find an engineer.

Do you have any further details as to what the Track Fault actually is - for example does it relate to the Fibre element, or is there a problem with the copper pair? I did notice that around a month ago BT were digging up a lot of pavements in the local area and engineers now appear to be permanently camped outside one street side cabinet.

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 9 of 30

OK thanks John. Could you switch your router off and leave it off for at least 30 minutes then switch back on and retest, hopefully we'll then see some speed improvement 

Chris

0 Likes

Message 10 of 30

Hi Chris

Thank you for your message.

Nothing has changed. The Service Centre still shows track fault and a recent speed test using the Talktalk facility shows a download speed of 19 Mbps. 

I have left the router connected to the NTE5.

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 11 of 30

Hi John,

Sorry still not had an update from Openreach but line test is now passing and sync speed is up to 36.4Mbps. Have you noticed any improvement in throughput speed today?

Chris

0 Likes

Message 12 of 30

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply.

Download speed as low as 12 Mbps this morning.

Same message on fault status page - finding an engineer.

Have you received any feedback from Openreach?

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 13 of 30

Hi John,

The fault ticket still appears to be open but there's been no update yet. I'll check again in the morning and let you know if there's any further update

Chris

0 Likes

Message 14 of 30

Hi Chris

It is now a week since a 'Track Fault' was identified with my broadband connection, yet the line status still shows that the fault is waiting to be allocated to an engineer for further investigaton. I have not heard at all from BT Openreach.

Is it normal to wait a week for a response? You previously quoted 72 hours; is that response requirement in the Service Agreement with BT?

My Broadband speeds continue to be significantly below the contractual level of 26mbps.

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 15 of 30

No problem John, yes hopefully the engineer will get to the bottom of it 🙂

Chris

0 Likes

Message 16 of 30

Hi Chris and thanks for the update.

I have had my router directly connected to the NTE5 since last Friday, but have notice no improvement in the speed. I undertook a Service Centre speed test this afternoon, with the result being 18mbps. Whilst the Service Centre page states that the line is working fine, it changes to 'Track Fault' when the stability test is undertaken. I am also puzzled as to how the overnight speed test consistently shows as 26mbps, when the best I have ever received is around 23mbps.

Hopefully, the engineer will be able to identify the issue.

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 17 of 30

Hi John,

Thanks for the information 

The line test is now showing a potential fault so I've logged this out to Openreach for further investigation. It's a non-appointed task so Openreach will check the line external to your home over the next 72 hours but they may contact you directly

Chris

0 Likes

Message 18 of 30

Hi Chris

Thank you for your reply.

I have just the one socket, which is the NTE5. As per my previous message, the router is now connected directly to the NTE5 via the filter, with the phone plugged into the same adapter. 

As I have had fibre for quite a few years, it seems strange that the issues now affecting my service have only just appeared.

On a positive note, I have noticed that the router suddenly loosing connection has not happend for several days. Also, speed tests this morning were more consistent at around 21mbs.

Many thanks for all of your help, which is very much appreciated.

Regards, John

0 Likes

Message 19 of 30

Hi John,

Is the NTE5 the only telephone socket you have in your home?

Regarding the test yesterday with the extension lead, your line profile is limiting your sync speed to 25Mbps so removing the extension lead won't result in the router syncing at a speed higher than 25Mbps due to the cap, DLM needs at least 48 hours to monitor and respond to any improvement by moving you to a faster profile, that's why we ask that you leave the router connected directly to the test socket without the extension lead for at least 48 hours

Chris

0 Likes

Message 20 of 30

Hi Chris

As previously stated, the Network terminates on an NTE5.

The demarcation point is the front plate of the NTE5 and I will directly connect the router to this point, using the cable and filter provided. There is then no question that the broadband speed provided to the Network Terminating Equipment (NTE5) should be greater than the 26 mbs specified.

The extension lead is not Cat5 rated, however, as my tests showed yesterday, it has negligible affect on download speeds.

I fully appreciate that a change in ring tone would not directly cause the reported problem, but is an indication that changes have been recently made to local network equipment, which may have had some bearing on my reported problem.

Regards, John

0 Likes