NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straight or Crossed Cat5

joeyboswell
UFO Customer
UFO Customer
Message 10 of 10

Just out of interest....

Should the ethernet cable between the Wall Box Modem and the Router be a crossed or straight connected ethernet cable?

To cut a long story short, I have moved my Talktalk router to a different place in the house, I cut and re-crimped a new rj45 connector onto the "now shorter" cable installed by Talktalk from Fibre Box to the router, when I did this, I carefully looked at the existing rj45 and just coppied the colours which was not the normal patch lead colour order I expected.

All is working fine after the router relocation work I did so no issues with the internet service at all, just confused with the wire colour order I found in the origional rj45 plug that was not wired as a normal patch lead?

Regards

John

0 Likes
9 REPLIES 9

Message 1 of 10

Thanks John 🙂 ...bear with me, will get back on the thing.

0 Likes

Message 2 of 10

Hi Farhan

No, it won't effect performance as the wrong colours used at both ends so the plugs would still "bell out" correctly.

But it could cause problems if someone else has some work done that involves crimping on a new rj45 at 1 end with the correct standard of colours used on a new plug.

In my case, I did check the colours first and spotted the issue before fitting a new plug.

Regards

John

0 Likes

Message 3 of 10

Interesting one John - I'll get it checked with our guys.

Out of curiousity, have you seen any difference in the performance?

Kind Regards,

Farhan.

0 Likes

Message 4 of 10

Thanks Farhan

I have removed the Fibre Wall Box end of the ethernet cable, and yes it is wired as a straight cable.

But technically the wrong colours to T-568 A or B wiring standards at both ends, as the blue and green are swapped!

Picture of the wall box end below.

Regards

John

rj45-2.jpg

0 Likes

farhanazad85
UFO Customer
UFO Customer
Message 5 of 10

Hi John,

Got confirmation from the teams.

It will be Straight ethernet cable configuration between the wall box modem and the router.

Hope that helps.

Kind Regards,

Farhan.

0 Likes

Message 6 of 10

Thanks Farhan

I will check the rj45 at the UFO fibre box end when I have stopped aching, spent all weekend lifting floorboards and re-routing ethernet cables under the floors :smileywink:

As I say, I just copied the router end when I refitted the rj45 to make sure my net still worked, which it does.

If you confirm the colours are technically incorrect, I can re-do both ends to avoid confusion here in future, but other installs around here may have the same.

Regards

John

0 Likes

farhanazad85
UFO Customer
UFO Customer
Message 7 of 10
Hi John,

Bear with me, have raised it with the teams and am getting it cross checked, will get back shortly.

Kind Regards,

Farhan.
0 Likes

Message 8 of 10

Well I am confused.

I have dug out the original rj45 as fitted by the install team, and the colours do not match up for straight or crossed!

Enclosed picture below, I have removed the outer insulation and placed the wires in the order they are crimped.

I best check the fibre box end...

I am guessing a straight cable but the install guy uses his own standard of colours, which could cause confusion for anyone else who has to work on the wiring.

For reference, this link shows normal wire colours >> https://www.iplocation.net/rj45-wiring

Regards

John

rj45.jpg

0 Likes

farhanazad85
UFO Customer
UFO Customer
Message 9 of 10

Hi John,

I had tried a few different wiring of mine and had created a mini mess. Allow me some time to cross check and confirm the true behaviour.

Kind Regards,

Farhan.

0 Likes