NEED SOME HELP?

We’re here 24/7. 365 days a year.
Ask questions. Find your answers. Connect.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UFO Homeport lights

dan4bears
First Timer
Message 5 of 5

Hi.

My UFO Homeport has a red "Fault" lamp and the "LOS" lamp is also out. My internet appears to be working correctly and I have run a speed test (~650Mbs down, ~700mbs up).

Any ideas what the problem is? 

dan
0 Likes
4 REPLIES 4

peteb99
Chat Champion
Message 1 of 5

Further to my post - I've found a really good video on youtube that shows you how to get to the batteries.

If you go to 5 minutes 23 seconds on the below video you will see the helpful chap open up the battery comparment and you can see the batteries.  Just remember if you do replace them you need to use rechargeable ones (NiMH seem to be the best).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-6LKAPlEyk

0 Likes

peteb99
Chat Champion
Message 2 of 5

Hi dan4bears,

You don't need to phone to resolve this.

The red fault light is telling you that the batteries have failed in the battery backup on your ONT (the big white box).   These are AA batteries (I think that are AA or AAA) which work when you have lost power completely to the ONT (usually when you have a full power cut in your house).     The batteries make your phone line still work without power.  This is great if you need your phone line to always work and you can dial 999 for example.    However, if you are like 99.9% of us and have a mobile phone then you can use that for phone calls instead.

For example, BT Openreach no longer provide the battery backups in the ONT's they install and haven't done for a couple of years as it's no longer seen as needed due to mobile phones.     The fault light only applies to these batteries and nothing else on the ONT.    If you still want to replace the batteries, let me know and I'll find a video or instructions on how to change them for you.

The LOS light means Loss Of Service.   This light should always be un-lit if all is well.    It only lights up if there is a problem which is why it is called Loss of Service.    It never lights up green (even though TalkTalk say it should be green on some support web pages, which is annoying).    For example mine has always been un-lit since install 2.5 years ago.

I hope this helps, to be honest if my batteries fail I will probably replace them on mine but only because I don't like to see red warning lights, haha.

Peter

Karl-TalkTalk
Support Team
Message 3 of 5

Hi dan4bears

Give our UFO Teams a call on 0800 230 0272  and they can test and arrange an engineer if required.

Thanks  

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Gliwmaeden2
Community Star
Message 4 of 5

Moving this to the UFO section, @dan4bears, and I'll escalate your thread.

Please complete your community forum profile details for TT staff to identify your account. Go via your avatar/name; settings; launch profile wizard. 

Have you checked through the UFO support hub guidelines?

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/UltraFibreOptic/bd-p/UltraFibreOptic

Gliwmaeden2, a fellow customer.
0 Likes