cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

1GB UFO fibre-Forget it

9 REPLIES 9
Highlighted

I recently had UFO fibre installed and all I can say is massive mistake. The download speed is 400gbs at best and don't even talk to me about the wifi. The range is atrocious, the ping is atrocious and you get constant DNS errors that just kick you off. This is both on mobile phones, consoles and PC's with wireless.  

Done all the usual restart stuff and still the same. Now I know why the engineer said you can replace the hub with your own because it is not fit for purpose

Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Matt,

I'm really sorry to hear this. Have you spoken directly with our UFO Team to see they can help with this?

UFO Support Team 

Thanks

Highlighted
UFO Customer

Matt

You need to give a bit more info so others could maybe help.

How are you coming to the conclusion of only 400 meg (I guess you mean 400 meg ?).

Meaning which speed test are you using, what OS and what browser.

If I use the default Talktalk speedtest with Win7 and IE, it also reports 400 which is incorrect. Finding a reliable speedtest can be an issue as most really cannot handle the UFO speeds.

As for DNS issues, are you using the default Talktalk DNS servers?

Regards

JB

Highlighted
Participant

Over 5Ghz wireless I also see 250 Mbs - 400 Mbs.

I assumed the UFO router is caped at 400 Mbs over 5Gz (even though TalkTalk claims the router supports 1Gb 802.11AC).

Highlighted
Participant

Here's what I'm currently getting on 5GHz.  The router is just a few feet away and fluctuates between 800Mbps - 1.3Gbps.  The speed from the router out seems to be around 300Mbps.  I assumed this was normal, no?

Screenshot 2019-08-07 at 17.21.19.pngScreenshot 2019-08-07 at 17.22.34.png

UPDATE 1:  @OCE_Michelle According to the agent on UFO Support chat, 300Mbps is normal and to be expected.

UPDATE 2: The agent told me to plug a device with a gigabit LAN card directly into the white TalkTalk wall box and run a speed test on www.fastnet.co.uk/tools I did this and got 300 Mbps!

Highlighted

Hi Mateus,

The speed on individual devices will vary depending on the capability of the device itself. I think the UFO connection is more about having a large amount of bandwidth available for to use mulitiple devices at the same time with no issues rather than it just being about a very high speed test result on one device. (just wish it was available in my area :()

I can only suggest if you're unhappy with your service to speak again to the UFO team

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

@OCE_Chris I'm not unhappy with the service, 300Mbps is more then enough for my needs.

It's just that TalkTalk advertises the average speed as "more than 900 Mbps".  This is simply not true and is false advertising.

When the connection was first installed months ago it was around 800Mbps but it now rarely goes above 350Mbps.  I've been in touch with the UFO team and this tell me this is normal and to be expected.

I assume there is bandwidth management taking place based on usage.  e.g. As we don't regularly download gigabytes of data, the average UFO speed to our property has been throttled.

Highlighted

I can't really offer you any more information than that given by the UFO support team. You do of course have the option to follow our Complaint Process if you're unhappy with the service and support given

Chris

Highlighted
Participant

@OCE_Chris There was clearly a fault on the line.  Despite TalkTalk's online support claiming 200 - 300 Mbps was "normal and to be expected", the speed continued to deteriorate to as low as 14.2 Mbps.  After making an official complaint to TalkTalk something's been fixed (although they've not said what) as I'm now seeing 900 Mbps again over LAN. 👍

Untitled.png

Highlighted

Hi Mateus,

Glad to hear you speed has improved, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris