cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Both Wi-Fi and Wireless connection dropping out!

22 REPLIES 22
Monte
Team Player

Hi this is my first post.  Both Wi-Fi and Wireless connection dropping out!  I have had 4 routers this year 2 HG635 and 2 WI-Fi hubs all drop out with and without any other devices connected.

In the router logs it says DNS name resolution failure. We have had other 20 engineers out over the past tow years, none have found anything wrong with the equipment in the house or the line.   No one sames to know how to fix the problem.  The engineer that called yesterday could see that we were only getting 200 - 350 kbps, he did a couple of tests and the signal went up to 23mbps which is okay, it stayed like that until 20:00 last night when it dropped out again every 25 - 30 minutes, this shows in the log as " DNS name resolution failure"

Can anyone help Please?

KeithFrench
Community Star

Do you mean Wi-Fi and Wired (Ethernet) connections drop out?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Monte

I'm sorry to hear this.

Can you please update your community profile to include your:

• Name
  • Telephone number
  • Alternative contact number

We'll then look into this further. Please do not post this information on this thread Once you've updated your profile please post in your topic to confirm it's updated. 

Thanks

Debbie

Monte
Team Player

Hi Keith, yes both are dropping out. 

Monte
Team Player

Hi Debbie. I have updated my profile.

KeithFrench
Community Star

One of the TalkTalk OCEs will investigate this for you soon.

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Community Team

Hi Monte

I'm unable to locate any details with the telephone number provided, is this the correct number? (please do not post the number on this thread)

Thanks

Debbie

Monte
Team Player

Sorry Debbie,  updated, missed a diget off.

Monte
Team Player

I cannot spell either :))

Community Team

Hi Monte

Thanks for updating your Community Profile 🙂

I've completed a line test which hasn't detected any faults. Can I just check if your router is connected at the test socket and if your landline service is working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

Monte
Team Player

Hi Keith, I am not sure the speed is stable yet.

After talking to a fault manager, he said he didn't have the details of the router I was using on the system and he was going to sort that out, in the mean while he was sending an engineer out but could not do it at that time and would call back to arrange that visit, however after he did what ever he did with the router settings the speed went from 240kbps to 21mbps and lasted for five days without dropping at all, so I asked to cancel the engineer's visit and give it a bit longer for me to monitor it.  It dropped again on the 2nd of July so I rang support again, I explained about the router as above! The lady I spoke to checked everything, reset the router and asked me to switch it off at my end, which I did and it went up to 21mbps and stayed like that all day.  It dropped this morning to 10mbps, wireless and wired but has gone back up to 21mbps now.    Support are calling me this evening to check if has been stable.

I reported this situation on the 8th of June 2019 and it is still ongoing.

Every time an engineer  calls they never find any faults, however every single time they re-set the connection at the exchange the speed returns to normal sometimes for two months when it drops off and I have to go through the same procedure again and again.

I need more than one or two days to agree that it up and running and stable, so I am not sure what to say the the support team when they call tonight?

Thank you for taking the time to listen to me.  

Community Team

Hi Monte

Can I just check if your router is connected at the test socket and if your landline service is working ok when making calls?

Thanks

Debbie

Monte
Team Player

The router is connected to the master socket,  there are no more sockets or extensions in the house, the landline is good.

Community Team

Hi Monte

Do you have a test socket?

Thanks

Debbie

Monte
Team Player

Sorry,  yes it is behind the face cover,  we have already done that with three different routers (2 WI-Fi Hubs and HG635) and found no faults.   

Community Team

Hi Monte

Thanks for your reply.

I have escalated this fault over to our Network Team and I will post back on this thread as soon as I receive further information.

Thanks

Debbie

Monte
Team Player

Thank you very much Debbie.

Community Team

Hi Monte

Our Network Team have been unable to detect any issues and the connection appears to be stable.

Does this only affect wireless connections?

Thanks

Debbie

Monte
Team Player

I am getting 16mbps at the moment,  wired and wireless it affects both signals, so it has dropped from 21mbps at 0900 this morning, so not stable.

Community Team

Hi Monte,

Can you run 3 speed tests at different times of day on the My Account speed checker on a device connected by Ethernet cable to your router, could you switch off any devices that connect to the internet by wifi when you run the speed test to make sure they're not interfering with the test results

Thanks

Chris