cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Now it's in (UFO) I'm going to do a bit of comparison with Virgin while it's still here.

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hello again peoples! It's me again! 🤢 blurgh! I hear you say but do I listen, nope. Joking aside I decided I would do a little bit of checking my Virgin broadband against the UFO. The first thing I am going to do is check the Wifi signals of both and see where that goes. I will be using an app off my Android phone called Wifi Analyzer 3.11.2 by Kevin Yuan. I've used it a while and it seems ok but if anyone knows of a more acceptable app, please let me know asap as it is only here for a couple of days now. I'm going to check the 2.4 and 5 ghz signals of both routers and in 4 different locations. One where my laptop is and 2 meters away from the routers blocked by a wooden glazed door. One on the first floor. One in the attic and lastly the garden/sheds. When I get the results I'll post the results and screenshots if it will let me. G'nite all.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie, everyone. I've been around the house with my Wifi Analyzer app and hopefully the pictures will attach on to here. I checked both 5G and 2.4G for both Virgin and UFO. The readings were taken in exactly the same place and facing the direction for each provider. Here's where I tested-My Laptop, Main Bedroom 1st Floor, Attic and Garden. In the attic and garden I did extra in different places but always exactly the same place and facing the same direction for each provider. As I am limited to the number of pictures I can post in one go I am going to have to do a two possibly three part post, sorry.

a) 2 meters away from the routers sat at my laptop. The routers are located where Harry Potter lives, under the stairs. (See pic taken from sitting at laptop showing routers.IMG_20200207_055747.jpg

I was using the following app

About Wifi Analyzer.png

Here are the results for the laptop-

UFO 2G LaptopUFO 2G LaptopUFO 5G LaptopUFO 5G LaptopVirgin 2G LaptopVirgin 2G LaptopVirgin 5G LaptopVirgin 5G Laptop

Next I did the main bedroom upstairs and the results were-

UFO 2G BedroomUFO 2G BedroomUFO 5G BedroomUFO 5G BedroomVirgin 2G BedroomVirgin 2G BedroomVirgin 5G BedroomVirgin 5G Bedroom

Please see part two for further results, Thanks.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Firstly, I am sorry for the muddled up formatting. When I was doing the post it looked fine but when I went to preview it was all scrambled. Anyone know what I did wrong? It looks terrible and here I am trying to do it again! So, here goes, after doing the 1st floor I then did the attic. I did the test at different ends to see if the signal was affected much and here are the results-

UFO 2GAttic 1UFO 2GAttic 1UFO 2G Attic 2UFO 2G Attic 2UFO 5G Attic 1UFO 5G Attic 1UFO 5G Attic 2UFO 5G Attic 2

Virgin 2G Attic 1Virgin 2G Attic 1Virgin 2G Attic 2Virgin 2G Attic 2Virgin 5G Attic 1Virgin 5G Attic 1Virgin 5G Attic 2Virgin 5G Attic 2

Yet again, it all looks nicely formatted until I enter the preview pane than it falls apart. As I can't edit in preview I don't know what I can do bout it. Anyway, back to the results. I have to do another third post to show the garden results. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

So finally we come to the garden results and here they are-

UFO 2G Garden 2UFO 2G Garden 2UFO 2G Garden 3UFO 2G Garden 3UFO 2G Garden 1UFO 2G Garden 1Virgin 2G Garden 2Virgin 2G Garden 2Virgin 2G Garden 3Virgin 2G Garden 3Virgin 2G Garden 1Virgin 2G Garden 1

UFO 5G Garden  2UFO 5G Garden 2UFO 5G Garden 3UFO 5G Garden 3UFO 5G Garden 1UFO 5G Garden 1Virgin 5G Garden 2Virgin 5G Garden 2Virgin 5G Garden 3Virgin 5G Garden 3Virgin 5G Garden 1Virgin 5G Garden 1

As can be seen there is a difference between the two suppliers Wifi signals. It may not be large in some cases but it is in favour of UFO and the one thing it can't show on a picture is the stability. The UFO one is rock solid whereas the Virgin one was fluctuating on and off and at one point just dropped off completely for a second. Is there anything else anyone would like me to compare both with before Virgin goes? If so, let me know sooner rather than later. I hope some of you find this of interest and thanks for reading. 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
AAarrrrrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhhhh! The pictures have all jumbled up, whereas I put them in order and had the Virgin under the UFO to compare. Anyone got any advice on what went wrong?
Highlighted
Philosopher

@deckhanddave 

They are showing just fine for me Dave, I take it your very happy chappie now.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

I certainly am thanks 18this. Some recompense has been arranged through head office after a call from them. The auto recompense £5 per day should come through automatic but if not I've got a number to call. That just leaves the free months that I signed up for to be organised and that should be in hand with the sales team manager.  The company moved heaven and high water to get my service up and running before the 8th. I never thought they would but they did. Maybe TalkTalk will start to get a better reputation if they carry on like that.

Highlighted
Philosopher

@deckhanddave 

At least you were dealing with the team dedicated to UFO and not being bounced all over the place. Had your problem gone via those overseas call centres that TalkTalk use, were if your problem was not on their script/crib sheet, it would never have been sorted in a `month of Sunday,s`.

If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile. The Forum Guidelines apply to ALL members there are/should be, NO exceptions.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter
I can't even imagine the hell that would have been! Gives me a creeping scalp thinking about it. Shudders down my spine even. 🙂
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Dave,

I'm really glad that you've finally got it installed.  It was poor to not turn up twice, but it looks as though they have pulled out all the stops and get it installed quickly.

I too can see all your pictures as you intended them - it's good of you to post this and it is interesting.

Like you, I have my ONT and router installed in the cupboard under the stairs.  Apparently people say doing this is a big no no, but like you I get very good wifi speeds so I'm not moving it.

Glad you got the bearded guy from tyneside to do your install, he really is a gem of an installer and TalkTalk are very lucky to have him.      I wonder if there is some way of feedback to let TalkTalk know how good he is.

As a matter of interest, have you had a go at getting your cameras working yet?    I wondered if there is now an option to reserver DHCP addresses using the router.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Peteb99

I think the best way to get praise back to TalkTalk about the fitter would be an email to Head Office or Fibre Nation whom I think he works for. It's hard to tell who works for who nowadays what with outsourcing. I haven't tried the cameras yet but I have two types. The ip ones shouldn't be a problem but the CCTV DVR will need to be accessed through a web page and it's own ip address. That will be the fun one for want of a better phrase and it'll probably need port forwarding. I want to do a quick ethernet speed comparison of Virgin and UFO today so I'm not rushing to get things all sorted in one go. I've had enough stress lately and now I know it's in, I can sort out in my own time. When it comes to doing the cameras and DVR I will create another post for future reference in the hope it helps someone else later on.

Sorry forgot to say my Cable was connected using a Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

OMG! (Gosh). Doesn't time fly when you have been having fun! I did a speed test using UFOs tester and got quite a surprise when I finished. I was taken aback by my speeds and went investigating the cause! I've let time pass me by and just realised what my laptop is running as a Wifi adaptor 🤢 it's brother died out with the Dinosaurs! Anyone laughs and I'll scream and scream until I make myself sick-802.11bgn. Time for a new adaptor or maybe a laptop even. So, in addition to reading up on Mesh and Wifi 6 routers, getting all my stuff onto the new network and figuring out how to access stuff from outside my network, I've now got to update my knowledge on suitable Wireless standards to get the full potential from my new UFO. This is worse than cramming at Uni for an exam! Anyway, here's the sad looking results. Again using the same cable and location for each test. The cable used was Cat 5E.

UFO 2G CableUFO 2G CableUFO 2G  WifiUFO 2G WifiVirgin 2G CableVirgin 2G CableVirgin 2G WifiVirgin 2G Wifi

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Dave,

Those speeds are very slow,  have you tried fast.com instead?   I find that is the only one that gives me a true speed.   A lot of the speedcheckers can't cope with the 1gbps.

This is the speed I get when connected with a cat 5e cable.

speed.PNG

Highlighted
Conversation Starter
Hi Pete.
I'll give it a try, thanks. I have to admit though my Wifi adaptor isn't up to those speeds, I think it's around 50mbps from what I've read. I forget I have had this laptop over two/three? years but funnily enough, I have an older one with better specs that doesn't like Win10 (Sods law at work there). When I got this laptop I was dumbstruck when I found it didn't have 5G. My older one had that and fingerprint scanner. This was just a stop gap measure that has been continually used since Win8.
Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Pete you is making me jealous 😩 Here's the results from the Fast test site.

UFO 2G cableUFO 2G cableUFO 2G WifiUFO 2G WifiVirgin 2G cableVirgin 2G cableVirgin 2G WifiVirgin 2G Wifi

Conversation Starter

Hi Dave,

That is very slow when using a Cat5e cable.  It should be much faster than that.

The PC I use that is directly connected is 5 years old and just has a gigabit network card.

When the installer was there did he check the speed for you?, when he was at my house he was determined to show it working at full speed but my laptop doesn't have an ethernet port so I had to use a USB to Ethernet adaptor which didn't bring up the full speeds.  He brought his (very old) IBM laptop from his van and got the full speeds which I was happy with.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi again Pete. He said the speed was fine and showed me the result on his laptop but I don't recall seeing a result like that. He didn't specifically say, come here and look it was more me asking if everything was ok. Thing is, what I saw showed at least 450+ but not as high as 500mbps and another figure. I should have paid more attention but took him at his word. I'll get another new cable and see if that helps. My ethernet card is a gigabyte rated card by Realtek. I also note that UFO say it takes time to sort out the fastest speeds over about 10/14 days. Once I find my way around it then I'll start shouting at them for poor speeds but I can't say it's all them.  Have you any suggestions that I can try or look at to figure out the problem? Thanks for the input and info you're providing me with.