Did you mean: 
Need help?

ONT fault

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Chatterbox

ONT has failed.

No lights on ONT device.

Checked power from BBU and ~12v, and can power another 12v router fine.

PSU for BBU delivering ~15v, and again, can power a 15v test load.

Tried a 12v supply into ONT

Looking closely, The Power light on the ONT does flicker dimly (with original BBU, and test supply), in regular intervals of ~ 1 sec. Each flash getting dimmer and dimmer until about 7 flashes, when there is nothing, then the next is bright. Repeated ad infinitum.

I have logged this issue a few days ago but not had any updates.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Morning,

I'm sorry to hear this. I'd recommend contacting our dedicated UFO Team directly so they can look into this further for you.

UFO Support Team 

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Chat is offline. Call wait is over 3 hours last time.
What other options of communication do you provide to the deaf?
Highlighted

Hi,

Apologies, I've contacted our Live Chat Team and they have advised that they have someone logging in shortly and to check back on the below page within the next 15 minutes and this should be available to chat to them. Please let me know if you do experience any issues.

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/UFO-Help/UFO-Homeport-lights-guide/ta-p/2294270

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox
Thank you.
The lights guide has zero reference to a dimly flashing Power
Highlighted

Hi,

No that's ok, if you scroll to the bottom of the help article there is a link to live chat which should now show as available and will take you to our UFO Team.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

So I've been informed that I haven't had any update and no-one can explain why.

Agent agreed that the fault description does indeed sound like a faulty ONT unit.

I've been told that the engineer visit that was booked for today, wasn't confirmed and thus no engineer will visit today. I confirmed that the visit was fine, so again no-one can explain why this has happened.

An engineer has been booked for tomorrow, and I'll receive an update when this has been confirmed.

Really unconvinced an engineer is going to be here tomorrow. If no-one can explain why something hasn't happened, they can't guarantee it's not going to happen again.

It would be nice if I could see actual updates to my fault reference, and reply, but it's all hidden away, invisible from the end user behind hours of waiting on a phone, or having to use the forums to get someone to bother with online chat. Why on earth is there no online ticketing system?

Highlighted

Hi,

I'm really sorry to hear this and please let us know how you get on.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

So I've been in contact with FibreNation (who from 1st Sept will be known as CityFibre), who actually provide the fibre infrastructure and ONT.

Unfortunately they did not have any diagnostics that I had given TalkTalk, and had incorrect info about the actual fault, when it occurred etc. Also they had not been informed of a engineer being booked for tomorrow either.

Nevertheless, after explaining the fault, FibreNation agreed that the next step is to swap the ONT device. An engineer has been booked and confirmed for tomorrow.

It was interesting to find out that TalkTalk have sold off this part of their portfolio and as such explains the poor customer service, lack of actual technical support from TalkTalk, and their inability to provide any form of updates.

Highlighted

Hi,

You're very much a TalkTalk customer, CityFibre maintain the network the same way as Openreach maintain the copper network, however UFO is still a TalkTalk product and you're still a TalkTalk customer. Please let us know how you get on following the engineer visit.

Thanks

Highlighted
Chatterbox

CityFibre engineer arrived this morning.

He himself complained that TalkTalk rarely send any useful information, if any at all, frustrating both him and customers.

After looking at the ONT and testing with another PSU, he immediately agreed it wasn't repairable and swapped out the unit. A total of about 15 minutes spent swapping the new ONT and getting it activated over the phone and he was done and my connection was up.

After diagnosing the precise fault in around 15 minutes myself, why it took numerous attempts to contact TalkTalk support, only for them to not even bother passing the information on, twice! Failing to book an engineer, twice! Failing to give any updates or explain why there were no updates. Taking 5 days to actually get the fault fixed, where realistically (given resource availability), it could have been done in 2. Is really a poor show and a massive frustration.

The actual product delivered is very good. Just the support around it is utterly dire. You have zero visibility of what is happening with your issue. If you assume TalkTalk are competent and will get back to you to resolve your issue, you appear to only be wasting your time.

Please could this be escalated to senior management to address these issues for all customers to help them have a better experience;

Provide online ticket tracking, either through a web interface and/or email, where customers can respond in a textual manner so they don't have to waste hours waiting on a phone. I'm stunned this isn't offered already.

Provide actual online chat help, instead of forcing users to use the forum to get a member of TalkTalk to contact their own support team, to tell them to use chat!! Additionally allow the staff using chat have the same access and capability as via phone. I had two completely differing experiences with this.

Provide an actual method for your support staff to book and confirm engineer appointments. This must be system issue, as I'd like to not infer that multiple TalkTalk staff are incompetent at their job they do everyday.

Thank you

Highlighted

Morning,

Thanks for the update and I'm really sorry to hear this. I'll pass your comments/feedback over now.

Thanks