Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Poor Wifi reception

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Sightseer

I recently had UFO installed and so far so good.  However recently my daughter returned from university and gets minimal wifi reception in her bedroom.  The router is placed in the same position downstairs and the old Virgin router covered her bedroom fine.  All other rooms appear ok but her room I guess is the furthest.  I've tried changing settings (using 2.4 and 5 bands) but she gets minimal with 2.4 and nothing with 5.  I've changed channel numbers but that didn't help.

Any other suggestions? I can't really afford to start buying boosters etc.

Highlighted
Community Star

Slow speed, intermittent dropouts, breaks in the signal, or no signal on some or all devices, might be caused by Wi-Fi interference from other local networks, which can also lead to a permanent reduction in speed. No ISP can be responsible for your local environment, this is mainly a by-product of the popularity of Wi-Fi.

Generally speaking, the 2.4GHz band suffers much more from interference than the 5GHz band, but the 2.4GHz one can sometimes have a better range, but this all depends on your local area.

Just changing channels to see what happens, without the use of a WiFi analyser, can be very counterproductive. I can help a lot with this.

To enable me to help you, please can you specify the make/model of TalkTalk router that you are using?

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Sightseer

Thanks for your reply. I used a piece of software which showed me different channels and users on each. I changed the channel for a less busy one (think it was 11) but it made no difference. Frustrating as our house isn't that big. I know you said the ISP is not to blame which is true but the Virgin WiFi router did the job fine. 

Highlighted
Community Star

For me t help you I need to see screenshots of the WiFi analyser that you used  

Keith
I am not employed by TalkTalk, I'm just a customer. If my post has fixed the issue, please mark it as the Best Answer.
OCE's and Community Stars - Who are they? 

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi georgeb1971

Apologies for the delay.

I can see that Keith has offered to help and he provides great advice on improving wireless performance.

How are you getting on?

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Sightseer

I appreciate Keith's offer to help but I had already uninstalled the inSSider software I used to check channel usage.  I used it correctly though and tried a number of channels that had less users but still didn't get the coverage i required. I have also split 2.4/5.  Admittedly the 2.4ghz works better upstairs but still not good enough in my daughters bedroom and it drops out completely occasionally.

Talk Talk UFO is good fibre and I get good speeds but the coverage is not as good as the Virgin router I had previously. I've given up one it now although I'm not popular with my daughter!  I'll look into investing in powerline or extenders when I get some spare cash after christmas.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi georgeb1971,

Is the router situated close to other electrical devices that could be causing interference? Is it connected to a multi-socket electrical extension lead shared with other devices?

Chris

Highlighted
Sightseer
It's plugged into it's own socket but is situated next to the tv where it was installed. I can't really move this or I would need to use an extension cable. My previous router was also in this position.
Thank you for your help