Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Sitting on the fence.

Highlighted
peteb99
Conversation Starter

I honestly don't think you'll regret it, at that price with free installation it is a no-brainer.

Have a look at the installation video here :

https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/UFO-Help/How-UFO-is-installed/ta-p/2287847

It fully explains how they'll install it.    The guy with the beard in the video is the guy who did my installation.   A really friendly guy and he spoke to me the same as he does to the customer in the video - incredibly polite and very knowledgable about the install (he's been doing it for 5 years in York now).   Hopefully you'll get him.

They were very accomodating with me, I wanted it in a cupboard under the stairs and it was no problem at all.

Let us know how you get on and I bet you'll come back and be amazed how stable and fast it is.

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter

I'm hoping but also fairly confident about it. It can't be any worse than I've suffered with Virgin for the last God knows how many years on and off. besides, I got a big stick to beat em with if they let me down! Only joking  folks 😮 . I'm looking forward to it. After that it's time to sit and sort out about TV and whether to bother with Sky, Virgin or anyone else.

Highlighted
peteb99
Conversation Starter

The only other thing I would mention is that I bought my own router.   I've never been satisfied with any router provided by an ISP and always buy my own.

Seen as the TalkTalk UFO is so fast I thought I'd get a wifi 6 router and bought this one :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07SCBMMS8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and then bought this wifi 6 card for my laptop :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07STTGLM7/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I now get about 85MB/s on my laptop upstairs while my router is downstairs.

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter

Thanks for that info peteb99. You gave me some food for thought.

I was toying around with using this- https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073G222VP/?coliid=I3KC2459OZYBDA&colid=1BRPHPTR9IULV&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_l...

And then looking at either mesh or wifi extender if needed.  I also tripped over this article which I mentioned to someone else and it got them a bit excited-https://searchnetworking.techtarget.com/news/252462940/New-D-Link-wireless-access-points-launched-fo...

The main thing is to get a decent service in and then build my network from the ground up. So the next logical step is, supplied router or buy my own? 🤔 When the new system is in and running, I can take the time to see how it goes and research up on other routers. The Nighthawk was recommended to me by a Virgin Engineer who uses one. Another someone said it was overkill. 🙄

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi deckhanddave

Thanks for keeping us updated.

Please let us know how you get on on 28th January 🙂

Debbie

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie

I will keep you up to date on how things progress both with UFO and Virgin. It's quite funny really. Their retentions people rang me the other day on a bad line. I asked them to ring me back on my landline and they said they would. They didn't. Then yesterday someone else did and I told them to read my reported fault and told him it still wasn't resolved so what was I to do other than get rid of the service I was paying for and not getting? Bless him he tried his best to get me to stay but I told him that Virgin are gone in respect of Broadband and phone but they should still try and resolve my issue as I am still paying them. I was considering keeping their tv service but I have to have their broadband if I want their latest boxes or I have to go back to Tivo. I didn't have the heart to tell him that isn't going to happen as Tivo wasn't that good a service. Looks like it'll be sky Q for TV. 

On an update note, I received a text today confirming my engineers appointment and have had two emails, one confirming the order and installation date and another about my DD. So, full marks for UFO keeping me informed and in the loop. 😀

Highlighted
Community Team

Hi Dave, thanks for the update 

Chris

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter
Chris
Just tried to reply to your PM but it says I've reached my limit! That's a bit dumb a**** isn't it? I've sent one to OCE_Debbie and that's it. That's the one you replied to. I tried to copy and paste the info from that message into the new message but it won't let me send it.
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter

I'm now 1 week away from my installation. I've sorted the router site out in my head and it shouldn't be a problem. It's now time to turn to the elephant in the room and that is router. Supplied or own? I'm going to see how the supplied one goes but I want to have the choice of own router sorted in my head ready if needed. I've been reading much about routers so that my head spins and hurts. I've discovered that some are now more orientated towards providing for IoT rather than just the normal gaming / media usage. Does anyone on here have any recommendations / advice on this subject please? My main usage will be IoT, streaming music/video, browsing the web/online banking and live auctions streamed online. So, I'm heavy on connected things and streaming on and off. I've looked at a Netgear  Nighthawk X6s (R8000P)-AC4000 Tri-band router. It was recommended by a Virgin engineer but several people have said it is overkill. Any advice given will be much appreciated, maybe not followed as the decision will ultimately be mine along with any mistakes, but most definitely appreciated and taken on board. Thanks to you all.

Highlighted
peteb99
Conversation Starter

Hi Dave,

Going by what you've said you use it for, I honestly think that the supplied router will be fine for you.   So long as you can get wifi in every room you need to it should be fine.

Do you need to use port forwarding for your IOTs?,  or are they fine with IP addresses that may change?   I ask as when I first tried the super router it wouldn't allow static addresses to be assigned via DHCP (ridiculous I know).   I was told that this would be fixed by a firmware upgrade but don't know if it ever was.

If you find you aren't happy with the super router I would advise looking at a wifi 6 router for future proofing (the one you've mentioned is wifi 5.

Pete

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter
Hi Pete. Thanks for that. Some of my apps will probably need port forwarding as does my CCTV DVR. I remember well the aggro I had setting them up using Virgin. A guy on their forum was a great help and I couldn't have got it to work without his help. I'm hoping there is someone like that on here (He says praying). We installed something from no-ip called DUC V4.1.1 but don't ask me what it is or does as I can't remember it was that long ago. If I can't find the help I need to get it all working again on here, then I will pay someone who knows what they are doing to sort it. I'm hoping that my move to UFO will be the next best thing since sliced bread after Virgin. I'm also sincerely hoping that it proves to be as reliable as they say because if so, I will be here now until the day I die. I have no intentions of swapping because Virgin come back with a cheaper offer. All I want is a good reliable stable service with decent speed. Give me that and I will be a happy little bunny! On that note, Santa comes tomorrow to fit my new UFO service! (Firework display going on in my head in celebration).
Highlighted
I8this
Insightful One
@deckhanddave

do these jog your memory.

https://www.noip.com/download?page=win

https://www.noip.com/support/knowledgebase/installing-the-windows-4-x-dynamic-update-client-duc/
If case you have forgotten the Do’s and Don’ts. There are members that have. Remember:-Be yourself and tell it like it is,. Be courteous to other customers. Give others the benefit of the doubt. Update your community profile.
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter
Brilliant! Now I remember why I needed that other guy so much! Lol! It tells you what it does but I have no idea why I have it! It had something to do with accessing my CCTV DVR on the web, I think but I could be wrong. I will be saving those links though as memory joggers at the least. Thanks for that.
Highlighted
peteb99
Conversation Starter

Hi deckhanddave,

The software is pretty good.    What happens is that the URL you have registered with No-IP is redirected from No-IP to your home IP address.   When anyone uses your URL (e.g. when you're connecting to your camera's away from home) they are redirected to your home IP.

This works fine, but when/if your home IP address is changed by TalkTalk the re-direct will go to the wrong IP address and you won't be able to access your cameras.   The software you have installed constantly checks for changes to your home IP address.  If it changes, the software connects to No-IP and updates the IP address to your new IP address and the cameras will still work remotely.  Quite a neat piece of software.

Is your installation date sometimes this week?, I bet you're excited.

When I'm preparing to install a new router, I go into the portforwarding page in my existing router and note down all the portforwards I have ready to input them into the new router.  Maybe it would be a good idea for you to do that now so you'll be ready.

If you have any problems with portforwarding etc. after installation, I'm sure we'll be able to help you, or at least try anyway.

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter

Hi peteb99. Thanks for that advice. Unfortunately the port forwarding was on the previous router which became so unuseable I could hardly do anything with it. It's going to be start from scratch unless I can find a screenshot or picture I took. I have a habit of doing that for future reference but can't remember doing it. My UFO gets installed tomorrow, whoopee! I'm playing crafty though and keeping the Virgin in for another week or so. That'll give me time to figure out this so called malware that Virgin said was coming from my ip. I've done so many scans of different types over the last three weeks it's unreal and nothing came up. They swapped the router and problem gone but it's still not their fault so it must be mine. So, if by any chance I have missed something then it can do it on Virgin again and then I'll know. If nothing happens then Virgin are quite frankly full of Bull fertilizer. I think I'll go search through my screenshots and pics and see if I have it. Thanks and bye for now.

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter

Well, today's the day folks, I get UFO and telephone fitted. Why I bothered with the phone I don't know but hey, it was free for 16 months so why not. Rarely use a landline nowadays. So I've mostly cleared my crud out of the way of the engineers (I hope) so they should have an easier time of it. Now it's just wait until they arrive. On the subject of routers, I've decided I'm going to drop the Nighthawk or similar and go with a mesh system. Does anyone have any experience of them or advice they would share, please?

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter

Hmmm. No sign of Santa yet 😭 Still it's given me a quiet half hour to ponder over mesh systems. I've taken a particular liking to the following-

https://www.tp-link.com/uk/home-networking/deco/deco-m5/

or maybe one of their new wifi 6 routers, 🤔 I would never have considered spending this sort of money on Virgins service because you can't make a silk purse from a pigs ear. I di think the M5 will do what I want but I'm looking at cost versus future proofing. £150 for the M5 or thereabouts but how soon will it be obsolete? Whereas the Wifi 6 routers are at the front edge but costing £250-£370 ish and upwards. Just writing this makes me think M5 now I'm seeing it in black and white. I would appreciate any opinions on the M5 that anyone might have. I don't want to make the wrong decision.

I just took a look outside and the weather is not going to be very nice to the engineer poor man. It's cold, getting dark and raining, a thoroughly miserable evening. 

Highlighted
Gondola
Community Star

Hi @deckhanddave 

Deco M5 was TalkTalk's top pick in late 2017. Mesh Review by TalkTalk.

Gondola - Volunteer 2017-2020

To appreciate my help . . . If I offered a solution Best Answer

Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter
Thanks for that. I didn't realise it had been around that long. It makes me feel old and doddery know that I am that far behind in what's what of the internet. I'm going to have a read of it now as there's still no sign of the engineer.
Highlighted
deckhanddave
Conversation Starter

Oh my Oh my! It's 18.01 and there has been no sign of the engineer nor has anyone been in touch to say there's a problem. If he starts now and it takes the three hours they say then he's going to be here until gone 21.00hrs 😲 I don't think that's very realistic so I'm kind of guessing they aren't coming today. I would like to take this opportunity to draw the powers that be attention to something from their email regards appointments 

Need to change your appointment?
No problem. You can reschedule it again in My Account up until 4pm on the day before. Remember to do this as soon as possible because you’ll be charged for a missed appointment.

Another less than auspicious start to mine and UFOs relationship. First appt with sales rep cancelled and now the installation. At least the sales rep contacted me. Of course, I may be jumping the gun and end up with having egg on my face and having to apologise on here for saying they probably won't come tonight, but I don't mind that.