Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

TalkTalk agreed 450 Mbps with Ofcom for UFO

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Participant

For info, TalkTalk have told me that they agreed with Ofcom that UFO customers should receive a minimum speed of 450 Mbps. Customers not receiving at least 450 Mbps are entitled to cancel their contract without incurring early contract termination fees.

The typical speeds I’m currently seeing are far below 450 Mbps.  For example, the other evening I got 251 Mbps download and 14.2 Mbps upload, and this was when plugged directly into the white fibre wall box (bypassing the router) using a laptop with a gigabit LAN connection and new Cat 5e cable.

PastedGraphic.png

A TalkTalk UFO engineer will be visiting our property within the next two weeks to investigate these slow speeds but currently their network diagnostics are not showing any faults.  Therefore I assume the UFO network simply can't handle the demand.

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi

There can be many reasons for a drop in speed, ranging from equipment faults to network issue or damage.

Only the UFO engineer will be able to determine the root cause if no network issues are visible.

Thanks

Karl. 

Check & Report l Our latest Blog l Set Your Preferences l Service Status l Help with your Service l Community Stars

Working From Home Tips

Please log in to My Account if you need to view or pay your bill, manage boosts and track your usage. From My Account you can also check your connection and test your line for any issues in the Service Centre.

WEAR A MASK      -      WASH YOUR HANDS      -      SOCIAL DISTANCE

Highlighted
UFO Customer

You are using a test site that cannot handle the speed, as below, I get slow speeds via fastnet.

fastnet.jpg

Try speedtest.net and manually select a server that can handle the speed such as TNP Manchester.

speedtest.jpg

As above, I can hit the max speed. As can be seen, it is not true that UFO cannot handle demand. Either a genuine fault at your end or you are not testing correctly.

Both tests above was done about 20 mins ago.

Regards

JB

Highlighted
Participant

TalkTalk Support told me to use Fastnet.co.uk but here's Speedtest.net :

Screenshot_20190816-223908_Chrome-01.jpeg

Highlighted
UFO Customer

How are you connected, 2.4g, 5g or wired?

What browser, OS hardware etc?

Highlighted
Participant
See my opening post, following instructions from TalkTalk Support I connected directly into the white UFO wall box using a brand new Belkin Cat5e cable. Used multiple devices all with gigabit LAN cards & tried different web browsers. Every time the results are about the same. TalkTalk are sending an engineer out in two weeks (earliest appointment available).
Highlighted
Participant

OK, something's been fixed because LAN speeds are now showing rates faster than I've ever seen before! Over 900 Mbps down and almost 900 Mbps up too. Wow! 😄

Untitled.png

5 GHz wi-fi using devices that support gigabit 802.11AC is still much slower (e.g. 200 - 300 Mbps) but I guess that can be fixed with a better wi-fi box?  Any suggestions - would a Netgear Nighthawk help?

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Mateus,

Glad to hear your speed has improved, thanks for letting us know 🙂

Chris