Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

WiFi Hub Unresponsive

Highlighted
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi Theguitarman,

Thanks for the update. I've re-run the line tests which are still clear. Could you let us know if the connection is still dropping with the original router and we can pass this over for further investigation.

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

It took longer than expected but I'm now back on the original router but using new cables, a dedicated mains power socket and I've installed a different faceplate.

The router instantly connected at 30meg and the max line speed is now being reported as 36meg which is where it used to site before this round of problems started so I'm hoping it was a faceplate or wiring issue.

I'll update you again if I get any disconnects or in a few days if I don't (fingers crossed).

Thanks for all your help so far 🙂

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Thank you and please let us know how the stability and speed compares 🙂

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

As promised a quick update which I'm happy to say is all positive at the min.

The router has remained connected for 3 days at this point and the line speed is stable at 30meg sync speed and still showing 36 max.

Changing the router back has reverted me back to the auto wifi selection issue so when you have a chance could that be switched off again (I assume it's a function in the router)?

I'm unsure what the root cause was but would like to find out so at some point intend to swap the master socket and router back over one by one to see if either were the cause. If not then it must have been wiring.

For now  I need to get some stability in the system for a while in the hope that the DLM will release a little more speed so will leave well lone for a week or two.

I'll keep you updated if I find the original cause as it may be useful if other users have similar symptoms.

Cheers,

Mike 

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

I'm really glad to hear this and thanks for keeping us updated 🙂

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Sorry to be the bringer of bad tidings but my euphoria may have been short lived.

I managed around 5-6 days with a stable connection then suffered a reset again however the speed and connection remained stable again for about another 5 days.

I have checked a few times during this period and my sync speed was always 29996 but I'm 99% sure that is banded as it always max's out at that. The line showed a possible max of 36 meg and the noise margin was around 3.5db.

This morning the router reset again (LED flashing orange etc) and now my line sync speed has dropped back to 25.9 with a reported max of 29.5 and a noise margin of 6.1db.

Not sure if it's related but this is after some heavy overnight rain.

Any suggestions where we go now?

Regards,

Mike 

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Just a thought but we have some heavy rain forecast over the next couple of days so I'll monitor the connection and see what happens.

It was stable overnight but remains at 26meg at the min.

Highlighted

Hi Theguitarman

Thanks for your reply.

Please let us know how you get on.

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

My connection has been ok for 2 days so far but the promised heavy rain didn't arrive so it's early days yet. We have more rain forecast over the next few days so will see what happens.

Appologies for the mini war & peace below but I felt I should make you aware of a few points.

I have a friend who lives directly opposite me who is on the same TT package as me using the wifihub etc and I did some electrical work in his house a couple of weeks ago so had to power down his router.

Today I thought it would interesting to compare how his service runs compared to mine and found the following:

Me                           Neighbour

Uptime                                   2 days                           16 days(when I re-started it)

Downstream Actual               25974                            39425

Max Downstream                  29556                            44807

Noise Margin                           6.10                              6.0

Attenuation                            22.10                             21.70

Power                                      5.9                                 6.1

As you can see from the above the is a hugh difference in my line speed. 2 yrs ago I had a stable connection with very similar figures to my neighbour then I had a line fault which took 3 visits to fix. Since then I have never had more than 30 meg and now it's dropped again so it's a little difficut to accept when you techncal people say "we have tested your line and it fine"

It's also difficult to accept that I pay the same money for 65% of the service my neighbour recieves.

I checked on Talktalks line checker for new customers and also with BT and both say my line would provide a guaraneed min speed of 35 meg which is in keeping with almost all of my neighbours.

BT say they would have the line tested and repaired if required to achive the guaranteed min speed but obviously they are trying to sell me something.

I am happy to make more checks over the next few days but to be honest I don't feel like I'm getting anywhere at the min and have lived with a diminished service for many months.

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Theguitarman

Thanks for the additional information.

Different lines are routed differently so speeds can vary. If all testing has been completed with a different router, cable and filter at the test socket then I can arrange a Openreach engineer visit.

Thanks

Debbie

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Debbie,

I replied to your update by e-mail earlier but I'm not sure if you got it.

Can you let me know if you didn't and I'll post on here?

If you did get it then I'll proceed as per my e-mail and update you when I have completed the tests.

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted
Community Star

The email is just a notification of what is posted with a no-reply address, you should continue your dialogue on here.

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

ok thanks for that Ferguson.

Debbie, my response was just to confirm that my master socket has been replaced so I presumed that removed the need for the test socket checks as I thought the purpose of that was to prove a faulty face plate.

I'm happy to make the test if you like but will leave it until the end of this week as I'm still trying to either prove or eliminate the water ingress. Since this most recent issue the longest connection time has only been 5 days which be on Friday.

I've checked again this evening and all is still ok so now been stable for 3 days but still stuck at 26meg so below the guaranteed min for my line.

Does the router have to be off for some time to reset / re-sync back up speed as last time it connected back up to 30meg it had been disconnected for over two hours when I was rewiring everything. On the re-start I got 36 max & 30 actual

I don't believe it's a routing issue as the line has been in for years and nothing has changed with respect to that. This whole issue started over 18 months ago when my router kept dropping connection and eventually slowed from 40meg to 10meg. At their third visit Openreach finally discovered water in an external cable junction around 50mtrs from my house.

They (supposedly) repaired the connection but following that my speed was then limited to 30 meg and has been ever since. I check my router stats quite often and it rarely shows it has been connected for longer than a couple of weeks but the speed has been sitting just above the guaranteed min so there has been no point in raising the issue as TT advised they wouldn't do anything in that case

Roll on 5G (lol)

Regards,

Mike 

Highlighted

Hi Theguitarman,

Thanks for the information. Do you have any extension sockets? If you have then removing the faceplate and testing at the test socket disconnects internal wiring and eliminates it as a potential cause of interference

Chris

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Chris,

I don't have any extension sockets, the router is connected directly into the master socket faceplate as is the phone.

I've just checked the router again and it's still connected at 26meg so no good for 5 days just slow. I can't help think if it was a problem with my equipment it wouldn't be this random but I guess you never know.

I plan to shut the router down and leave it off for an hour or two just to see if the line speed comes back up as it did last time. I'll put an update on here later once I've done that.

Mike

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Good evening all,

As promised another update but with a new discovery.

I shut down the router and left it off for around 2hrs then restarted it again to find the line still synced at 25.9 meg with the max line speed reporting as 29.5 (so the same as before).

As a test I shut it down again and left it off for an hour then started again but this time using my original router and the line is straight back to 30meg with a max of 36 so the same as the old router was reporting before.

Not sure why but the new router is definitely syncing slower than my old unit and appears to be the causing the line speed to drop.

Would you agree the new router may have an issue and if so could it be replaced? Both units are running software version SG4K10002808t.

Cheers,

Mike  

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

So back on the old router and it managed 35 hrs then reset all timers and the connection again

It has re-synced at 30meg but the reported max speed has dropped back to 33.

The noise margin is down to 4.9 and the output power is up at 6.80.

I can't be sure but it seems like the new router is more stable but will not connect at an acceptable speed.

Regards,

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the additional update and I'm sorry to hear that the speed is slower than before with this router. Was the original router a HG633? Would you like to try another one to see how both the stability and speed compares?

Thanks

Highlighted
Conversation Starter

Hi Michelle,

Both routers are identical (both the latest Sagemcom Fast 5364 Wifi Hub) which is why I think there may be an issue with the replacement unit. I would have expected the connection speed to be more or less the same on identical routers but the newer device is consistently slower 4-5meg slower.

I think I still have one of the HG633 routers but I replaced it because I wanted 1gb ethernet ports which it doesn't have so would prefer to stick with the newer Sagemcom unit.

I will happily try another one if you can arrange it as the current "replacement" router seems more stable, just slower.

I know you can't comment on them but also I'm currently looking at some third party routers which are reported as being very good on weaker lines. Back in the old ADSL days I used one particular brand which gave a very marked improvement over the then stock TT unit so figured it may be worth another go?

I will hold off on the third party option if your happy for me to try another Wifi Hub?

Cheers,

Mike

Highlighted

Hi Theguitarman,

I've ordered another wifi hub to test with, you will also receive a returns bag to send the old router back in. Please let us know how you get on

Chris