cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

2 Factor/Step Authentication for Email Accounts?

Submitted by an1sa_k 06-03-2020 | 11 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

I'm enjoying using the new and upgraded TalkTalk Mail and its suite of applications. With many of the accounts that I manage, I have 2 Factor/Step Authentication enabled. As many of you might already know, it's a good way of making sure your account is more secure if your password is ever breached.

It would be amazing if this Security Feature could be implemented with TalkTalk Mail, obviously with the option to 'save your device', so you're not always entering verification codes.

Let me know what you think of this Suggestion, and whether you think it's a good idea.

Many thanks.

Get more ideas related to: Beat the Scammers Email Other

2 Factor/Step Authentication for Email Accounts?

I'm enjoying using the new and upgraded TalkTalk Mail and its suite of applications. With many of the accounts that I manage, I have 2 Factor/Step Authentication enabled. As many of you might already know, it's a good way of making sure your account is more secure if your password is ever breached.

It would be amazing if this Security Feature could be implemented with TalkTalk Mail, obviously with the option to 'save your device', so you're not always entering verification codes.

Let me know what you think of this Suggestion, and whether you think it's a good idea.

Many thanks.

What do you think?
11 Comments
Community Star

Excellent idea to secure the mailbox when the customer needs that extra security and essential for authorising Settings changes to alert things like updates to Reset details etc.

Popular Poster

Does TalkTalk already have a Two Step Verification Process? If so I can not find it anywhere in My Account.

Community Star

Hi @tammy_l  There is no two step verification at present. In my opinion this idea is great and ought to be offered to customers to give extra security. If you support the idea give @an1sa_k a hit on the Like (thumbs up) button.

Insightful One

I would go further and suggest that 2fa should also be an option on "My Account".

I would also suggest that it is implemented using something like FreeOTP rather than codes being sent via text messages, as we do not all have reliable mobile phone reception in our homes.

Community Star

Agreed - 2FA security options being offered to the customer for MyAccount and Email password / reset detail changes / new device sign ins are a much needed security feature. A One Time Passcode to a mobile notification is pretty swift. Notifications via other methods welcome.

Popular Poster

So what is TalkTalk doing about this?

Most of my accounts with other Online Providers/Retailers now have 2 step verification as

an additional option to raise the level of security when accessing accounts and reduce the

risk of unauthorised access at the User Level.

So is TalkTalk giving this any consideration or is it just sitting on it's hands waiting for

another security breach.

Insightful One

The issue with OTP sent to mobile phones is that we do not all have mobile phone signals at home and this does cause problems with on-line banking/shopping etc where some banks are wedded to sending OTP to mobile phones resulting in my having to call them to get authorisation.  A pain which I have to endure for banking, but would not want to just to log into my TalkTalk account.  This is why I suggested using an app such as FreeOTP, which is even supported by the Government Gateway, as it does not rely on the mobile phone network.  Of course there is nothing wrong with talktalk offering multiple methods as not everyone wants to load apps on to their phone.

Community Star

Did some research on this and found that the vendor for TalkTalk Mail does have a platform sign in supporting multi-factor authentication including SMS and TOTP (timed one time passcode). Although mail only apps aren't supported. But it does require integrating with external delivery methods to get the passcode to the user.

Whizz Kid

@an1sa_k  Great suggestion - was just about to post a similar one, good thing I did a search.

We need 2FA on:

• My Account 
  • Support OTP via SMS or Application

• Default : Application /Software OTP
  • Option to send via SMS

Any company thats takes security and its customers data seriouly has already rolled this out.   Its a matter of priorty set by the TalkTalk Technology/Security Executives and Product Management , this is a basic security technology, rolled out by thousands of companies across all sectors.

Popular Poster

Well is TalkTalk doing anything about this issue or NOT?