cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

A USB port on routers and regular MAJOR updates to include new services.

Submitted by Futureblast 23-03-2021 | 0 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Many people subscribe to fast internet services because they access Network Attached Storage and Home Media Servers. I am surprised that TalkTalk premium routers do not contain at least one USB port for the addition of a hard drive or hub.

My Super Hub didn’t even come out of it’s box due to the lack of a USB port and its rudimentary customer accessible settings.
I am using a FritzBox that was supplied by my previous G-Fast provider Zen, they understood the demographics of their customer base so provided a router that has premium features that broadband and tech obsessed customers use.

My ‘TT super router’ will stay in the box as it lacks basic management features that us grown up users expect, (no ip6... tut tut), it will be outdated in a couple of years time and will probably end up in a landfill having never been used. Not good for me, not good for TalkTalk as it’s a waste of a router and not good for the environment.

If your gonna make a super router from 330Mbps G-Fast then supply a router that the sort of people that want that kind of speed will make use of. It looks pretty but my old Zen FritzBox leaves it in a the dust. When you make the router there’s not incentive to constantly adapt the firmware and introduce new features, Fritz has now loaded an internal VPN  so I can use a VPN to my FritzBox from abroad and then use my internet line to access region locked UK content as if I was in England. It’s added reminder alarms on the built in DECT base for each individual phone connected as well as being able to call the router with my phone and then the router forward my call via a SIPS service or the TT phone line.
   The latest
 update added WPA3 which all my phones, tablets and computers know connect on. When will WPA3 make itself onto a TT router?

TT doesn’t have the programmers or the competition of commercial router producers as an incentive to come out with these amazing features. Just supply 3rd party commercial routers. They will always be far more ahead on features, speed and functionality than anything you can provide in house as they have to maintain a competitive edge.
    My FritzBox came out three years ago but has major feature upgrades every couple of months that gives me incredible functionality. I can access a hard drive with all my pictures, music and movies on from anywhere in the world as well as upload all my photos to it when I’m on holiday (a 4K 3D movie uses 8Gb for a 5 minutes movie) so I want it off my camera and uploaded to my NAS while ASAP so I don’t run out of memory when I’m abroad. It’s like services you could only dream of using on an in-house router. I don’t understand why you don’t just accept that you’ll never provide these services (which are all basically router firmware based) and yet if you provided FritzBoxes you could advertise all these futureristic features. Just makes no sense... I wonder how many people are on super G-Fast who actually use the supplied ‘super router’?

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

0 Likes

A USB port on routers and regular MAJOR updates to include new services.

Many people subscribe to fast internet services because they access Network Attached Storage and Home Media Servers. I am surprised that TalkTalk premium routers do not contain at least one USB port for the addition of a hard drive or hub.

My Super Hub didn’t even come out of it’s box due to the lack of a USB port and its rudimentary customer accessible settings.
I am using a FritzBox that was supplied by my previous G-Fast provider Zen, they understood the demographics of their customer base so provided a router that has premium features that broadband and tech obsessed customers use.

My ‘TT super router’ will stay in the box as it lacks basic management features that us grown up users expect, (no ip6... tut tut), it will be outdated in a couple of years time and will probably end up in a landfill having never been used. Not good for me, not good for TalkTalk as it’s a waste of a router and not good for the environment.

If your gonna make a super router from 330Mbps G-Fast then supply a router that the sort of people that want that kind of speed will make use of. It looks pretty but my old Zen FritzBox leaves it in a the dust. When you make the router there’s not incentive to constantly adapt the firmware and introduce new features, Fritz has now loaded an internal VPN  so I can use a VPN to my FritzBox from abroad and then use my internet line to access region locked UK content as if I was in England. It’s added reminder alarms on the built in DECT base for each individual phone connected as well as being able to call the router with my phone and then the router forward my call via a SIPS service or the TT phone line.
   The latest
 update added WPA3 which all my phones, tablets and computers know connect on. When will WPA3 make itself onto a TT router?

TT doesn’t have the programmers or the competition of commercial router producers as an incentive to come out with these amazing features. Just supply 3rd party commercial routers. They will always be far more ahead on features, speed and functionality than anything you can provide in house as they have to maintain a competitive edge.
    My FritzBox came out three years ago but has major feature upgrades every couple of months that gives me incredible functionality. I can access a hard drive with all my pictures, music and movies on from anywhere in the world as well as upload all my photos to it when I’m on holiday (a 4K 3D movie uses 8Gb for a 5 minutes movie) so I want it off my camera and uploaded to my NAS while ASAP so I don’t run out of memory when I’m abroad. It’s like services you could only dream of using on an in-house router. I don’t understand why you don’t just accept that you’ll never provide these services (which are all basically router firmware based) and yet if you provided FritzBoxes you could advertise all these futureristic features. Just makes no sense... I wonder how many people are on super G-Fast who actually use the supplied ‘super router’?