Need help?

Add padding to recordings

Submitted by david888 09-06-2018 | 9 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 2 of 4

I am sure this has been suggested before and the buck has always been passed back to YouView. The fact remains that programmes often run late and, contrary to popular belief, there is no linkage between the start and end of a recording with the actual start and end of transmission of the programme (not on the subscription channels anyway, which is all I care about as I use another PVR for Freeview channels). The Syfy channel is a persistent offender in this regard. Most of the recordings I have of the current Marvel's Runaways series start late and are missing the end. The ability to add 5-10 minutes to the end of the schedule will fix this problem.

Get more ideas related to: TV

Add padding to recordings

I am sure this has been suggested before and the buck has always been passed back to YouView. The fact remains that programmes often run late and, contrary to popular belief, there is no linkage between the start and end of a recording with the actual start and end of transmission of the programme (not on the subscription channels anyway, which is all I care about as I use another PVR for Freeview channels). The Syfy channel is a persistent offender in this regard. Most of the recordings I have of the current Marvel's Runaways series start late and are missing the end. The ability to add 5-10 minutes to the end of the schedule will fix this problem.

What do you think?
9 Comments
Community Star

Complain to the channel.

Conversation Starter

All the broadcaster would say is that their programme start/stop times are within operational parameters.

Syfy and other similar channels' main platform of delivery is Sky where it is straightforward to add padding when setting up a recording (e.g. see here). This is why they get away without being on time.

Other than the YouView box I got from TalkTalk, I have not come across any other recorder that doesn't allow some form of manual scheduling or override when it comes to recording programmes. This lack of manual control on YouView has to be a glaring omission, especially when it is being used for premium paid-for channels. it is not realistic to expect every single broadcaster to following the EPG timings precisely all of the time.

Community Star

YouView have no intention of adding padding as a feature, you can contact them directly if you find certain broadcasters consistently failing to comply with their responsibilities so that the Accurate Recording system is failing to work as intended. Your only manual workaround is to schedule the programme immediately after the one you want to watch to be recorded also.

Conversation Starter

My point is that accurate recording is not (or appears not to be) implemented on YouView for the subscription channels. I've had recordings missing the endings on multiple channels, not just Syfy. The same has happened with recordings off Sky Arts, Sky One, Sky Living, Alibi, Universal, Fox, just to name a few.

Your idea of recording the programme following the one wanted will not work. Perhaps you don't subscribe to TV channels, or perhaps you don't ever recording them, but under YouView, if a programme is shown multiple times during the week, you cannot schedule to record a specific showing at a specific time. What gets recorded will be the correct programme but it may be from a different time (or even a different channel) from the one specified.

Any reason why you are so against my suggestion? TalkTalk is a major YouView partner and must surely carry a bigger voice than an individual when it comes to negotiating new features with YouView.

Community Star

I am not against your suggestion, it is just that it has been raised before, both on these forums and directly with YouView and they are not prepared to countenance it. I am simply pointing out where your argument would be best deployed.

Conversation Starter

I understand this has been raised before and the idea hasn't been entertained before. In the past, YouView's selling point was the integration of the EPG with the catch up services. Now that Freeview Play is well established, there is no good reason for anyone to go for YouView except to get premium content. As such, YouView ought to be making the user's experience for these paying customers as best as it could and making sure they don't continually miss the last few minutes of their recordings would be a big step in the right direction. If major partners like TalkTalk and BT continue to feedback their customers' experience to YouView, may be they will get the message one day.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Great idea. Shame Youview will not implement this feature. 

Community Team
Status changed to: Investigating

@david888 Thanks for the suggestion. I've passed your feedback on to our TV product team who will investigate the possibility.

Team Player

Having read the comments from a few months back and just to throw another "log on the fire" the overrun problem happened when recording the first of the current season of american football matches, sky sports boost (07/09/2018). Delay to start of game caused by bad weather resulted in missing a large chunk of the final quarter

Is there any further development on finding a solution to this problem?