Need help?

Automatic DD refunds after final bill and service disconnection

Submitted by Umski 13-05-2020 | 0 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Hello, I'm in this very position at the moment and have seen numerous forum threads asking about cancelled service/DDs and refunds. I myself have a £30 DD taken after I was switched supplier and am hopefully getting a final bill with the charge reversed since I've not had a service from TT since 30/04 but have paid for the 'privilege' - whilst I understand that TT bills one month in advance and so any overlap will cause this billing, some customers may not be in a position to lose that cash and wait for weeks to get it back, so why does the *ex-customer* have to request a refund from TT - the system exists to refund back, why not automate it - every other utility I've switched to or from has the ability to do this and it's very painless. Hanging on to ex-customers' cash like this seems to be a cynical attempt at hoping they will forget. It would no doubt reduce the number of calls and forum posts significantly if there was some assurance that an ex-customer will QUICKLY get a refund for any over-charge (and be billed correctly one would hope). I appreciate that credit card/cheque refunds might be a different story but DD is simple - you tell the customer (soon to be ex) that they should leave their DD intact and that they will get an automatic refund of any credit. Better yet, do what utilities do and stop taking further DDs until the final bill is generated - that way there is no likelihood of being over-charged up front and then needing a refund. (I can understand why there might be a hesitancy to do this as a business however)

As a closing comment, I was with TT for 5 years then switching provider and getting the final bill/refund was painful, this time coming back for 1 year, exactly the same thing and hopefully to be resolved, but probably with as much pain and frustration, hence this suggestion - needless to say I've learnt my lesson and won't be coming back unless I see some genuine improvements in the way customers are treated particularly in the current situation where it is near impossible to speak to someone to resolve minor issues like this!

Get more ideas related to: Billing Other

0 Likes

Automatic DD refunds after final bill and service disconnection

Hello, I'm in this very position at the moment and have seen numerous forum threads asking about cancelled service/DDs and refunds. I myself have a £30 DD taken after I was switched supplier and am hopefully getting a final bill with the charge reversed since I've not had a service from TT since 30/04 but have paid for the 'privilege' - whilst I understand that TT bills one month in advance and so any overlap will cause this billing, some customers may not be in a position to lose that cash and wait for weeks to get it back, so why does the *ex-customer* have to request a refund from TT - the system exists to refund back, why not automate it - every other utility I've switched to or from has the ability to do this and it's very painless. Hanging on to ex-customers' cash like this seems to be a cynical attempt at hoping they will forget. It would no doubt reduce the number of calls and forum posts significantly if there was some assurance that an ex-customer will QUICKLY get a refund for any over-charge (and be billed correctly one would hope). I appreciate that credit card/cheque refunds might be a different story but DD is simple - you tell the customer (soon to be ex) that they should leave their DD intact and that they will get an automatic refund of any credit. Better yet, do what utilities do and stop taking further DDs until the final bill is generated - that way there is no likelihood of being over-charged up front and then needing a refund. (I can understand why there might be a hesitancy to do this as a business however)

As a closing comment, I was with TT for 5 years then switching provider and getting the final bill/refund was painful, this time coming back for 1 year, exactly the same thing and hopefully to be resolved, but probably with as much pain and frustration, hence this suggestion - needless to say I've learnt my lesson and won't be coming back unless I see some genuine improvements in the way customers are treated particularly in the current situation where it is near impossible to speak to someone to resolve minor issues like this!