cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Beat the scammers - Phone Password

Submitted by jagrabham 16-03-2017 | 11 Comments

I've just joined the Community, so sorry if someone has come up with this idea before - I haven't had time to read all the posts!

Having been bothered by scammers claiming be ringing from TalkTalk I have a suggestion as to how TalkTalk could stop this.  Would it be possible for all customers to be given the (optional) choice to have a “telephone contact password”.

This would work by the customer giving TalkTalk a password which they (TalkTalk) would use when telephoning the customer. This password could be kept on the Customer’s record on the TalkTalk computer system. In that way, for example, if I received a call from someone claiming to be from TalkTalk, I could ask them to give me the “telephone contact password”.  Only someone genuinely calling from TalkTalk would know this.

It may be that this may be difficult to do from the point of view of altering customer records, but I thought it was worthwhile suggesting it.

Get more ideas related to: Beat the scammers Phone

Beat the scammers - Phone Password

I've just joined the Community, so sorry if someone has come up with this idea before - I haven't had time to read all the posts!

Having been bothered by scammers claiming be ringing from TalkTalk I have a suggestion as to how TalkTalk could stop this.  Would it be possible for all customers to be given the (optional) choice to have a “telephone contact password”.

This would work by the customer giving TalkTalk a password which they (TalkTalk) would use when telephoning the customer. This password could be kept on the Customer’s record on the TalkTalk computer system. In that way, for example, if I received a call from someone claiming to be from TalkTalk, I could ask them to give me the “telephone contact password”.  Only someone genuinely calling from TalkTalk would know this.

It may be that this may be difficult to do from the point of view of altering customer records, but I thought it was worthwhile suggesting it.

What do you think?
11 Comments
Wizz Kid

Michelle - it would be more useful if you actually break down the over 1 million numbers between the categories you describe.  I suspect that not many are actually blocking the more sophisticated scammers with properly formed Caller ID  (although the line is not active when one tests it).  It is my perception that TT does not trace calls to the origin and close down the scammers are source of at the network borders!