cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Beating the scammers who use fake telephone numbers when calling

Submitted by agzol 29-01-2019 | 10 Comments

We get scammers calling us on our TT landline number where their number appears to be valid, but when checked it turns out to be inaccessible. For instance today we got a call from 01273065322 which is a Brighton area number. Because we have friends and relatives in Brighton we answered it and the caller claimed to be from BTOpenreach saying we have problems with out internet speed. I terminated the call immediately. Dialled the number prefixed by 141 but got a message stating it was invalid.

But this raised a question in my mind as to why BT (or TT?) can't check the calling number and block the call if it's invalid before connecting the call?

I know we could use CallSafe but what I'm suggesting could stop many scam calls at source.

Get more ideas related to: Beat the scammers

Beating the scammers who use fake telephone numbers when calling

We get scammers calling us on our TT landline number where their number appears to be valid, but when checked it turns out to be inaccessible. For instance today we got a call from 01273065322 which is a Brighton area number. Because we have friends and relatives in Brighton we answered it and the caller claimed to be from BTOpenreach saying we have problems with out internet speed. I terminated the call immediately. Dialled the number prefixed by 141 but got a message stating it was invalid.

But this raised a question in my mind as to why BT (or TT?) can't check the calling number and block the call if it's invalid before connecting the call?

I know we could use CallSafe but what I'm suggesting could stop many scam calls at source.

What do you think?
10 Comments
Team Player

Thats a great idea. Another problem I have is a string of calls with the same message but the number changes every time -although the prefix number is the same - so no use for call safe. It needs some sort of a prefix/area code blocker.

Popular Poster

Had the same problem today scam call from 016751079599 tried to check and report but number rejected as too many digits. Cannot find any other mechanism for reporting the number manually.

Problem Solver

Hi had 2 calls today and 3 yesterday  numbers were 01287971752 0128771556  purporting to be from Talk Talk technical department to cut of my internet I did not press any buttons as requested but put the phone down as this seems to be machine generated 

mick

Community Team
Status changed to: Unable to Deliver

@agzol Thanks for the suggestion. We do check if a valid number is presented. If no number is presented or it is an invalid number format then we do block these calls and 100's of millions of these calls are blocked each year, however scammers can spoof a phone number and there isn't anything we can do to identify them. We always suggest using our CallSafe Service to mitigate scammers. Thanks

Conversation Starter

All the calls I get start with 0138

Wizz Kid

Michelle - You say that TT intercept invalid number calls but they are unable to spot a spoof phone number. I use BT Call Guardian and it intercepts all calls that start with an automatic generated message. If I am expecting an important call I switch off Call Guardian because I don't want the caller to be discouraged by the Guardian procedure. As a result I also have scam calls coming through. If I call back any of these numbers I get, almost without exception, 'beep beep beep the number you have dialled has not been recognised'. Is it not possible to reject these calls before they reach my phone?

Team Player

I would like to echo charlieboy99's comment and query.

Conversation Starter

My suggested solution from another post:

When a call comes in the CLID is compared to a blocked (Black) list for all phone numbers.

If it is not on the list, it is checked against the blocked list for the recipient number.

If it is on either it is blocked.

If it is not on either and the CLID couldn't be a valid number, too many or too few digits, invalid area code etc. It should be blocked.

If the number is not blocked it is then dialled, if it returns the "number is invalid" tone (Not busy or ringing), the number gets blocked.

If the number rings or is busy the call is passed to the recipient and white listed (Until further information).

Most of the CLID's created by power diallers will fail the first three tests. If they pass, then the recipient can report the number for it to be put on a "grey list" until it meets the criteria for the black list.

If someone finds their number on the black list and wants it unblocked it should be moved to the grey list until validated (And could be blocked again).

This should block a large number of the 22% (Approx) of fake and scam calls in the UK.

I know it is not a complete solution. This system should cost a lot less than the costs of trying to manage the large number of fake calls that happen now and could be managed and funded by all the UK telecoms companies.

Popular Poster

We do check if a valid number is presented. If no number is presented or it is an invalid number format then we do block these calls".

In that case how are any calls getting through where re-dialling the number results in a 'number unobtainable' signal?

The question that should be asked is, how are scammers able to spoof numbers? Why aren't telcos refusing connections from any telco that can't guarantee the legitimacy of the CLID being passed? Sounds like cross board thinking is needed between telcos and ofcom and its international equivalents 

Conversation Starter

gcotgreave the system is legitimately used by companies that want you to contact them through a single number. Including 999, 111, 123, 101 etc. It is the fact that scammers can display any number they want that causes the problem for filtering the calls.