cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Beating the scammers who use fake telephone numbers when calling

Submitted by agzol 29-01-2019 | 14 Comments

We get scammers calling us on our TT landline number where their number appears to be valid, but when checked it turns out to be inaccessible. For instance today we got a call from 01273065322 which is a Brighton area number. Because we have friends and relatives in Brighton we answered it and the caller claimed to be from BTOpenreach saying we have problems with out internet speed. I terminated the call immediately. Dialled the number prefixed by 141 but got a message stating it was invalid.

But this raised a question in my mind as to why BT (or TT?) can't check the calling number and block the call if it's invalid before connecting the call?

I know we could use CallSafe but what I'm suggesting could stop many scam calls at source.

Get more ideas related to: Beat the scammers

Beating the scammers who use fake telephone numbers when calling

We get scammers calling us on our TT landline number where their number appears to be valid, but when checked it turns out to be inaccessible. For instance today we got a call from 01273065322 which is a Brighton area number. Because we have friends and relatives in Brighton we answered it and the caller claimed to be from BTOpenreach saying we have problems with out internet speed. I terminated the call immediately. Dialled the number prefixed by 141 but got a message stating it was invalid.

But this raised a question in my mind as to why BT (or TT?) can't check the calling number and block the call if it's invalid before connecting the call?

I know we could use CallSafe but what I'm suggesting could stop many scam calls at source.

What do you think?
14 Comments
Wizz Kid

I regularly get calls from spoofed number, occasionally they look completely fake and when I put them into TalkTalk's scam report it tells me I can't report it because it is not a real number. So in my view there is something wrong with how these calls are being screened.

Participant

That's the issue - why can't BT or Openreach or TT have a system whereby they check if the number is valid before connecting. That would stop the use of fake numbers.

Conversation Starter

I have already suggested a system to solve this. I did not get a reply, only one commenter who said it was not possible.

When a call comes in the CLID is compared to a blocked (Black) list for all phone numbers.

If it is not on the list, it is checked against the blocked list for the recipient number.

If it is on either it is blocked.

If it is not on either and the CLID couldn't be a valid number, too many or too few digits, invalid area code etc. It should be blocked.

If the number is not blocked it is then dialled, if it returns the "number is invalid" tone (Not busy or ringing), the number gets blocked.

If the number rings or is busy the call is passed to the recipient and white listed (Until further information).

Most of the CLID's created by power diallers will fail the first three tests. If they pass, then the recipient can report the number for it to be put on a "grey list" until it meets the criteria for the black list.

If someone finds their number on the black list and wants it unblocked it should be moved to the grey list until validated (And could be blocked again).

This should block a large number of the 22% (Approx) of fake and scam calls in the UK.

I know it is not a complete solution. This system should cost a lot less than the costs of trying to manage the large number of fake calls that happen now and could be managed and funded by all the UK telecoms companies.

Wizz Kid

I feel like to bypassing TalkTalk completely, I just got a new mobile, a Google Pixel, when I get a call through it it sometimes suggest this call might be spam so I can ignore it if I choose. At the end of the call it asks me if it was spam and do I want to block it. I feel like I need to divert all my calls through my mobile!!