cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Blocking Scam/nuisance calls

Submitted by Weevie 25-06-2017 | 5 Comments

What we need is a audible CAPTCHA type system

My suggestion, allows callers to get through - if they get the number right  (using an audible CAPTCHA type of system (asking "rotating" simple maths questions - what is 2+5 for example - input 7 on keypad for access) - this will effectively block automated call machines (which, in my experience, make up the vast majority of nuisance calls) - the caller can then be added to the list of "welcomed" callers by dialling a number after the call is closed (or on line) if they get the answer wrong - or choose not to respnd to it - our phones DO NOT RING !!

I understand that BT's offers an option that blocks ALL calls if they are not on the list - this takes it too far - what about genuine emergency calls ?

My system is better - it would then allow unrecognised, but genuine, callers - a way through security - you can then decide whether to allow them a permanent pass or not

and, most importantly - fake numbers would be blocked !!

Simple - please implement as soon as possible

Get more ideas related to: Beat the scammers Phone

0 Likes

Blocking Scam/nuisance calls

What we need is a audible CAPTCHA type system

My suggestion, allows callers to get through - if they get the number right  (using an audible CAPTCHA type of system (asking "rotating" simple maths questions - what is 2+5 for example - input 7 on keypad for access) - this will effectively block automated call machines (which, in my experience, make up the vast majority of nuisance calls) - the caller can then be added to the list of "welcomed" callers by dialling a number after the call is closed (or on line) if they get the answer wrong - or choose not to respnd to it - our phones DO NOT RING !!

I understand that BT's offers an option that blocks ALL calls if they are not on the list - this takes it too far - what about genuine emergency calls ?

My system is better - it would then allow unrecognised, but genuine, callers - a way through security - you can then decide whether to allow them a permanent pass or not

and, most importantly - fake numbers would be blocked !!

Simple - please implement as soon as possible

What do you think?
5 Comments
Community Star

What a dreadfully complex proposal. I hope you intend this to be optional?

Popular Poster

In my own experience of receiving more than 300 scam calls, on three different phone lines, only about 15 or 5% where automated. The restwere from call centres in the UK and India made by humans.

Register with the Telephone Preference Service. The best way to stop nuisance calls is to register your number with the Telephone Preference Service - they'll add you to their list of numbers that don't want to receive sales and marketing calls.and for the query regarding the printer contact to the 

Nipson printers  customer service and get the answers.

Enlightened One

TPS doesn't work - I have been registered with TPS for at least 15 years and it made no difference at all to the number of spam calls

I am now sucessfully running callsafe and have to admit that we have had NO unwanted calls at all - in the last two months !!

Community Team
Status changed to: Unable to Deliver