cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Call Safe Telephone Numbers

Submitted by engineer2 08-10-2018 | 9 Comments

There are times when a user may wish to turn CallSafe off temporarily.

If a user does so, they lose all the registered information and have to start again from scratch to turn back on. This is painful.

I can understand why TalkTalk would not want to store data for a user that has it turned off.

So why not allow a user to upload a text file with the "Allowed" and "Blocked" numbers to reset CallSafe on, if it has been switched off temporarily. Text files should be safe from viruses so not a threat.

Get more ideas related to: Beat the scammers

Call Safe Telephone Numbers

If a user does so, they lose all the registered information and have to start again from scratch to turn back on. This is painful.

I can understand why TalkTalk would not want to store data for a user that has it turned off.

So why not allow a user to upload a text file with the "Allowed" and "Blocked" numbers to reset CallSafe on, if it has been switched off temporarily. Text files should be safe from viruses so not a threat.

What do you think?
9 Comments
Community Team
Status changed to: Duplicate

@engineer2 Thanks for the suggestion. I've previously passed this idea over to our Products Team for future consideration. If anything changes or I receive an update on this then I'll update your thread to let you know.

Thanks

First Timer

How long must we wait for some action on this issue of losing the allowed/barred list when we temporarily have to turn off 'CALLSAFE", it was first brought up in March. Come on TalkTalk pull your finger out.

It was a great idea but is unusable by a lot of your customers. 

Enlightened One

We need the ability to back up call safe numbers - either "locally" or "on-line"

Wizz Kid

I'm a newbie and am delighted to have been able to recently set up CallSafe, especially in order to block the numerous scam calls I've been getting for a few years - I'm fed up with hearing "Hello, I'm calling you from TalkTalk to tell you we've found a problem with .......... blah blah blah", and have got to the point where I either tell them to FO or just hang up. I'm also very angry with TalkTalk for allowing hackers to get hold of my name, phone number, and even my account number. However, I've already discovered that CallSafe causes problems with other functions on TalkTalk, e.g. trying to change/update service features in my account. Having searched around this forum, I've discovered that the only suggestion is to switch it OFF.....NO!! Although I've made notes of all the numbers, I'm not willing to have to start all over again. TalkTalk should be able to allow users to temporarily switch CallSafe off for a set period of time without losing all their data, e.g. maybe 5 or 7 days maximum, then simply switch it back on with its original settings still intact. PLEASE, TalkTalk, sort out this problem once and for all because there's no use in you offering all these apps and features if they don't work together!!

Chatterbox

If the list of approved numbers is on their server, it should be a very simple matter to 'set a flag' (in IT terms) that puts the entries to one side, and then when the CallSafe barrier is re-enabled, to unset the flag, and they reappear.

I for one, can NOT note down my list of numbers, because : 

Within Callsafe, in my list of Approved Numbers, the scroll bars work fine, and I can select the 1st or 2nd entry, to view/edit/remove.  A pop-up box appears on the screen, showing the entry.

However, if I select any entry below the 2nd one, to view/edit/remove, the scroll bars on the page disappear, and the screen goes grey and freezes. Presumably, the pop-up box is off the screen, at the top of screen memory.

This behaviour is repeated on two different machines, (both Windows 10), and using different web browsers – Internet Explorer, Google Chrome, and Firefox.

To put it bluntly, it is unusable.

Enlightened One

@engineer2 wrote:

You do need a way to back number up  - preferably on-line but off line would be acceptible as well

And if you dare to "temporarily" disable callsafe - you lose everything - you need a way to switch of the utility temporarilly

I don't know whether it is just on my account but when I switch callsafe OFF - I am unable to re-enable it

Whilst the idea is good - unfortunately - it is not good enough !

Wizz Kid

@Peter421 and @Weevie 

I totally agree with what you've both said, as TalkTalk appears to have set up a feature which, in theory sounds good but, in practice is functionally useless because it causes more problems than it's been designed to prevent.

When I set it up 3 weeks ago, I thought my scam-calling problems were over!! Sadly, I've now had to spend that time contemplating whether to switch it off because it also appears to have caused some quirky little things to happen on my desktop as well.

I don't know how long CallSafe has actually been available to TT customers but, from what I've read on various posts and comments/complaints, it has been in use for some years now. The fact that TalkTalk hasn't dealt with the clearly obvious technical and user problems by now is very disconcerting to say the least.

To the TalkTalk technicians and engineers.....

CallSafe URGENTLY needs to be FIXED and made useable in a manner which makes it feasible for all customers to use!!!

PLEASE make it possible to switch it off TEMPORARILY without losing all the data!!!

Thank you in advance (That's me being overly optomistic)

Thank you for sharing article and information. this is very helpful. krogerfeedback

First Timer

I agree with most of these posts.  Callsafe is now driving me almost as crazy as the scam/continual marketing calls used to. 

Whilst i enjoy the peace and quiet, the BIG problem is that HMRC and every Bank with an automated security call cannot get through.  This is about to be a BIG issue as I am being contacted with the banks wanting to use this security feature on many online purchases in future. (this is something we will all be getting now) It is getting to be a pain having to change mobile numbers on accounts etc, when I could just use the landline.  In fact they want to send a security code to my landline so I can change the mobile, but of course that doesn't work!!!!!!!

They are numbers that are withheld and I can't 'add them.  As they are automated they can't get through the system for me to approve them either.  Nightmare! I have tried and tried to get this sorted but have been told to 'turn it off' temporarily. 

Unfortunately I can't even turn Callsafe off! (let alone the nightmare of adding all the numbers again). When I pointed this out they said 'it would be sorted' (or was it just 'oh well' it's something we are working on...)

So PLEASE can this problem just be fixed.  I complained at least a year ago and nothing has changed.

If I can finally turn callsafe off, then why can't there be a place to 'copy' the approved list on 'my account' then be able to copy and paste it back again.  

Or like the others say, how about saving the list for a short period of time after it is switched off (say, max a month?). or even just having a separate button that is 'turn off temporarily' so that TalkTalk saves the data. Then if you 'turn off permanently' they can delete it.

I wish I'd never turned the blasted thing on, but then if I hadn't I'd have taken an axe to the blasted thing due to the 'several times a day' scam TT calls. 😞  or continual automated calls on my answermachine. 

I did try call barring first, but as all these calls had fake numbers and the same company having a different fake number each time, it just didn't work. I did renew my contract, but now I'm wishing I had 'switched' even if just to get rid of callsafe!

PLEASE Talktalk, if you can't get it to work properly, please try again with a new system. It seems that too many of us are struggling with it and I have tried to turn it off again to day and it still says it is 'on'.