cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Device control on router

Submitted by azamac | 9 Comments

device control on router really needs to be implemented i dont know if you are aware of how difficult it is to get a child off a console or prevent them sneaking on it in the middle of the night most other routers allow you to specify a time when a device can be online or off line ive seen the homework settings but they are useless really as they turn all devices off which isnt really any good as other people need to use the internet at these times

Get more ideas related to: Broadband Other

Device control on router

device control on router really needs to be implemented i dont know if you are aware of how difficult it is to get a child off a console or prevent them sneaking on it in the middle of the night most other routers allow you to specify a time when a device can be online or off line ive seen the homework settings but they are useless really as they turn all devices off which isnt really any good as other people need to use the internet at these times

What do you think?
9 Comments
Chatterbox

Or is this possible and im missing a trick?

Community Star

SuperSafe Boost is the trick you need for android and iOS 'phones and tablets.  Parental controls with time limits that are device specific.  The XBox console that you mentioned on another idea has parental controls with time limits.  Supersafe is not needed for the XBox. 

Chatterbox

Other routers have this option and i think the old talk talk routers did one problem with the xbox settings is that sometimes you may want to reward a child by giving them an extra half hour at weekends and such as a reward for good behaviour and if say that i have control through my xbox account as you have to set it up that way if i wasnt at home as im quite often not it would mean some one else having my xbox password which im sure with all this online safety is not ideal i shouldnt have to give out my secure password when it is pretty simple to use the router instead 

Chatterbox

Xbox password as in microsoft account password access to all my emails the lot

Community Star

... simply add another family member account to Xbox.

Chatterbox

Alot of messing around to be honest when talk talk could just implement it like it used to be ..and most other isps do this looking through other posts seems im not the only one with same opinion either

Community Star

None of the currently supplied Wi-Fi routers / Hub offer official TalkTalk support for device by device scheduling; a hidden parental control may be found and employed at user's discretion - you may even find me talking about such things. Officially, you'll see a previous idea about Parental Controls for the Wi-Fi Hub is marked "Not Right Now" and a comment from TalkTalk "Our Product Team have confirmed that it is something that we're looking into, however we don't have any specific timescales at the moment."

Your Xbox was designed with a parental control scheduling feature incorporated.  You have a solution right there, right now courtesy of Microsoft.  If it's too messy for you, well, that's Microsoft.

Chatterbox

I get your point but i still think it would be a good idea from a customers point of view i guess i shall just have to set up numerous xbox accounts for the people who look after him :)  (the joys) and hope that a secret menu and how to access it is found

Community Team
Status changed to: Duplicate

@azamac Thanks for the suggestion. I can see that we've already received this idea which I've posted an update on so I'll close this idea as a duplicate.