cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Disable WIFI at night (or any time!) using a simple time feature. MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE

Submitted by ken01 16-04-2018 | 36 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Anyone with teenagers or just kids... will know that they are addicted to the Internet. Youtube, Xbox, Smartphones etc etc...

Anyone without kids may say "just tell them.... or just switch of the router."

Anyone with kids will say "Another huge screaming match EVERY night."

Anyone with kids with social issues or autism will also know how difficult this issue of managing online time is, and can be a real strain on the entire family, that spills over into the next day and so on, and really is a mental health issue.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND - THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE.

I (and many others) need to be able to have a setting where we can simply time when the wireless (wifi) is turned off within the routers settings, on a daily basis. eg (9pm till 9am)

I believe at the moment this is not possible (or if it is - it isnt an easy task) and it really should be.

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

Disable WIFI at night (or any time!) using a simple time feature. MENTAL HEALTH ISSUE

Anyone with teenagers or just kids... will know that they are addicted to the Internet. Youtube, Xbox, Smartphones etc etc...

Anyone without kids may say "just tell them.... or just switch of the router."

Anyone with kids will say "Another huge screaming match EVERY night."

Anyone with kids with social issues or autism will also know how difficult this issue of managing online time is, and can be a real strain on the entire family, that spills over into the next day and so on, and really is a mental health issue.

PLEASE UNDERSTAND - THIS IS A SERIOUS ISSUE.

I (and many others) need to be able to have a setting where we can simply time when the wireless (wifi) is turned off within the routers settings, on a daily basis. eg (9pm till 9am)

I believe at the moment this is not possible (or if it is - it isnt an easy task) and it really should be.

What do you think?
36 Comments
Gondola
Community Star

SuperSafe Boost has parental controls including time limits that can be applied to individual devices. So you can as a parent allow individual internet access by setting rules without depriving yourself or other family members of the use of the Internet. I hope this helps.

psx123
Team Player

If you login to your TalkTalk account, you can change your parental control from this link: https://myaccount.talktalk.co.uk/myservices/network/homesafe

ken01
Whizz Kid

I tried homesafe after a reply from Lesley in the CEO office, it doesnt work ........my reply is copied below

Hi Lesley,

I tried Homesafe, I tried setting it between 10pm and 7 am.
It said this can’t be done, it has to set to the same-day time-zone.
So I set it at 10pm till 11-45pm (why it cant be set through the night till the next morning was a bit dissapointing as this is when its needed with teenagers).

Then I find out it doesn’t block Youtube and my kids could still use Xbox live online gaming.

So the whole thing is pointless, it doesn’t work.

I asked for a Wi-fi “Master” control to be added so parents can take control without having daily flashpoints when switching Wi-fi off.
In the router settings, it is possible to pick which devices can access Wi-fi and which can’t, so a Wi-fi master on and off (leaving wired connections on for TalkTalk TV etc.) should be made available quite simply with a firmware update.
Its a request I’ve made out of desperation to be able to control my kids’ online time. After speaking to parents and teachers and can honestly say if TalkTalk did this and advertised it – it would be a major selling point. As at the moment – Kids are addicted, that’s just a depressing fact, and taking control of it on a daily basis is difficult and extremely stressful for both kids and parents.

Ken
psx123
Team Player

You shuold be able to block YouTube by entering the URL, for Xbox Live you can follow this link: https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Non-Product-Archive/How-can-I-block-access-to-xbox-live/td-p/117...

jantelzak
First Timer

reintroducing the native Dlink DSL-3782 router function of scheduled access would fix this.  Not sure why the Talk Talk firmware version would remove functions?? You could then schedule blocked access to all kids devices from x pm to y am.

Anonymous
Not applicable

This should be avaible for all TalkTalk routers. Great way to control access to WiFi. And may aid some people concerned about influence of WiFi on their health. 

ken01
Whizz Kid

I dont want to apply a total block on Youtube or Xbox or other services, I want to be able to "simply" control it.

Being able to turn off access to the internet on a whole ( Wi-fi ) in a "quick click" is what parents should be able to do.

The idea is based on simplicity for parents, the current way to police these things is far to complicated and not good enough, especially when it is something that needs to be done on a daily basis.

OCE_Michelle
Community Team - TT Staff
Status changed to: Needs Info

@ken01 Thanks for your suggestion. Could I just clarify, do you mean the ability to completely switch off wireless for all devices for a set time during the day/night? If so this isn't possible right now, however there is the ability to turn wireless on and off via the router admin page and whilst this is not a one click solution, this might be a possible option?

I'll also pass on your feedback to our Product Team to see if this is a possible future development.

Kevs59
Visitor

I really would have thought ken01's comment was obvious. We want to have the ability to stop screaming teenagers damaging their school grades and the sanity of our neighbors by having the ability to prevent them, and only them, from gaming through the night. 

Hopefully talk talk will listen and provide something suitable 

Kevin 

ken01
Whizz Kid

It is obvious - your right "Kevs59" but I dont think TalkTalk will ever put this feature into their packages.

Its a very simple thing for them to do.

Its also a very serious issue.

its a fact that kids are addicted to the internet - games, tablets, youtube, the lot !

trying to police this as a parent is almost impossible without the proper tools.

Some will say - "just turn the router off" but this is very bad for you connection and when the internet is needed it will not work correctly iof this is done regularly.

If someone in my home becomes addicted to something I can control it - unless its the internet, as it is such an integral part of  so many things in the home at the moment, so I cant just simply remove it - alI Ive asked is that I can simply control it with a simple wireless "on and off". Parents are the bill payers, why cant we have this? because they dont want us to have it.

Its an issue that affects so many families across the country.