Need help?

Downloading and Recording Catch-up

Submitted by Mfcarthur 30-01-2018 | 29 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Would really welcome the idea of downloading and recording catch-up programs while being able to watch something else at the same time. This is one of the few things I missed when swapping from Sky.

Get more ideas related to: TV

Downloading and Recording Catch-up

Would really welcome the idea of downloading and recording catch-up programs while being able to watch something else at the same time. This is one of the few things I missed when swapping from Sky.

What do you think?
29 Comments
Community Team
Status changed to: Needs Info

@Mfcarthur Thanks for the suggestion. This sounds like a service we already offer, I've included the Help Article below. If you scroll down to multiple recordings in the article then this explains this further. Unless I've misunderstood your suggestion?

Recording on your TalkTalk TV Plus Box

Participant

In Sky you can download and record a catch up program in the background while you are watching live tv or a different recording. Unless I'm missing something it's not possible on Talktalk TV to do the same

Community Star

Catch-up programmes are available immediately on YouView, you can watch them when you like, you don't have to download them first. Sky does not provided streaming content on demand.

Participant

No. But it is useful to have them downloaded and available to watch whenever you wish because obviously catch up programs have a 'shelf life'

Community Star

So do catch-up programmes recorded on Sky with a "shelf life" e.g. from BBC iPlayer, they automatically delete when they expire. The fact is that Sky does not do true On Demand content.

Participant

No. But they do allow you to download/record so you can watch them months later if you wish.

Participant

The thing is with Sky, the watching of the program is totally in the user's control, (s)he can watch it whenever desired, even after the catch up expiration. With Talktalk it isn't.

Community Star

Well, no. You can watch any catch-up programme instantly, On Demand, on YouView. I can't think of anything more in control/watching it when desired than that. On Sky you have to download it first which, depending on your broadband speed, can be quite a laborious and sketchy process. And I have used both by the way.

Participant

I know I'm perhaps being a little pedantic but if, as you say, you've used both then consider the following example;

I'm watching a football match. At half time I have a look around the catch up offerings. I see something I fancy. On Sky I can set it to download and then go back to watching the second half. On Talktalk I have to make a note of it somewhere (I've not got the worlds best memory) and then, when I'm not watching something live, try to find it again and provided it hasn't expired, watch it. In my example, by the time the second half is finished the program had downloaded, its on my planner as a reminder and is permanent.

By the way, I've never found a problem downloading from sky, it's always been quick and reliable AND I use Ttalktalk broadband!

Participant

I know I used a specific example there, but the general situation of finding something on catch up but not having the time there and then to watch it still applies..