Need help?

Downloading and Recording Catch-up

Submitted by Mfcarthur 30-01-2018 | 29 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Would really welcome the idea of downloading and recording catch-up programs while being able to watch something else at the same time. This is one of the few things I missed when swapping from Sky.

Get more ideas related to: TV

Downloading and Recording Catch-up

Would really welcome the idea of downloading and recording catch-up programs while being able to watch something else at the same time. This is one of the few things I missed when swapping from Sky.

What do you think?
29 Comments
Community Star

The expiration date is the same whether you have downloaded it on Sky, or want to stream on iPlayer.

Participant

If I'm wrong then I apologise. I must have got my facts wrong and the long term recordings I had could not have been from iPlayer. 

I'll bow out of this discussion now.

Community Star

No need to bow out, it is an interesting discussion. The BBC took an age to adapt iPlayer for Sky, who complained that they weren't able to carry it, when the real problem was that Sky did not have the appropriate technology. So a huge compromise was made, at great cost to the BBC, that catch up on Sky effectively operated in the same way as other so called On Demand content on that platform i.e. download and record, not On Demand at all. However quickly it may happen.

I imagine that the way it worked suited you and you got used to it, which is absolutely fine. The fact remains that YouView and other platforms allow true On Demand content whilst Sky do not.

Participant

Ok. But given even a 30 day limit, the way I tended to view the catch up offerings was to browse through them when I had a few minutes, choose which ones I wanted to watch, mark them for download (you could queue up several downloads one after another), and then get on with something else. I then had them in my planner to remind me. I didn't have to remember where I found those particular programs. So, the downloading of 'bulk' programs to come back to in my planner made a lot more sense than having to watch them 'piecemeal' and remembering which catch up service I found each one in.

Community Star

Absolutely fine and I can understand why you would do that. But now you can just select and watch any time you want.

Participant

But I cant just spend a few minutes and 'collect' them. I have to look for each one individually. I think time was spent more effectively the other way.

Participant

I'm fortunate in that my internet speed is good and I can watch catch up effectively, without buffering. But for those who don't have a decent speed and suffer from buffering, being able to download/record in the background and watch later would be advantageous

Community Star

So use Sky? It really is the only platform which adopts the approach you prefer. With a slow broadband speed their approach is flawed also, I remember using their service many years ago with a poor ADSL speed and it was pitiful. It also unavoidably fills the available memory, hard drive storage is beccoming a thing of the past. And as I said I doubt even they will  be doing it much longer. At the end of the day we are talking about a preference which is easily surmounted. 

Participant

Okay. I think neither of us is going to be converted to the others way of thinking. If I could afford sky on my pension then I probably would go that route. Unfortunately, I can't. 

I'll end this conversation now.