Need help?

Fake phone numbers

Submitted by charlieboy99 24-10-2019 | 10 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 2 of 4

Many of the scam phone calls that I receive are showing a fake phone number on my caller display. I have yet to see the same number repeated so it is a waste of effort for me to block the number. For many of the numbers the five digit area code is invalid. With this fact in mind surely it would be easy to create a system to reject a call simply by validating just the first five digits. 

Get more ideas related to: Beat the Scammers

Fake phone numbers

Many of the scam phone calls that I receive are showing a fake phone number on my caller display. I have yet to see the same number repeated so it is a waste of effort for me to block the number. For many of the numbers the five digit area code is invalid. With this fact in mind surely it would be easy to create a system to reject a call simply by validating just the first five digits. 

What do you think?
10 Comments
OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi charlieboy99,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've passed this on to the relevant team for comment, I'll let you know when I have any feedback

Thanks

Chris

OCE_Chris
Community Team - TT Staff

Hi charlieboy99,

I've received some feedback from our Security team. They are investigating a few ideas that should block a lot more calls and they already block malformed telephone numbers which include invalid STD codes. Thanks again for your suggestion

Chris

charlieboy99
Whizz Kid

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that some ideas are being investigated.

What is a malformed number? Would I be right in guessing it is a phone number with other than 11 digits?

Incidentally,  thinking about my suggestion, a STD code always starts with 0 so only four digits need to be validated.

In the last ten days I have had five scam calls with invalid STD codes - 01150 06402 03359 02083 01092.

stig2001
Chatterbox

Your comment of Friday suggests invalid numbers are already blocked, however I have just received another call on a number 016783305784 that check&report says is invalid.

charlieboy99
Whizz Kid

Hi stig2001

What Chris said was "they already block malformed telephone numbers which include invalid STD codes". 

Yes, the number that was displayed to you is malformed but the std code 01678 is valid for Bala so it so it was not stopped by the TT blocker.

LindaNess
Team Player

One tel. no. we received from yesterday was 001442305459775  Why was that not intercepted?

hosay299
Philosopher

please use thew report site for reporting numbers @LindaNess 

stig2001
Chatterbox

This should block numbers that are clearly wrong. Check & Report wouldn't allow me to report a new number 0417733766008 as it said it was invalid. If C&R can understand it is an invalid number then it should have been blocked before it even called me. Might stop the deluge of Scamazon calls I've been getting lately.

retepfred
First Timer

Totally agree: this should be  apriority. had 6 calls today so wasting time and disruptive.

If a number is not authenticated then it needs blocking. Overseas numbers may be more difficult but then maybe theere is a combined approach.

1. Invalid/spoof numbers get stopped before they are allowed through to the receivers number

2. Activate Call Safe to only come into action on overseas numbers

3. allow calls from overseas numbers that are registered

4. Any UK number not authenticated by a multi stage process is blocked.

Is it time to make all UK numbers, land line and mobile registered to something that is unique. In France I believe any phone, even PAYG has to be linked to a credit/debit card/bank account. There are always privacy issues to be raised in this area but if it was put to out to a concensus I am sure there would be a very high number agreeing to this type of process. In the end if you want to stop these calls and already have the service registered with a bank card then activating the above to include only registered numbers is easier. Those that want to remain anonymous have to get through the call safe process.

charlieboy99
Whizz Kid

Since I started this thread I have seen a slight drop in the number of scam calls I receive but quite a number are still getting past the TT blocking system, especially Amazon fake calls. A number of suggestions have been made in this thread but are TT taking any notice of us?

Separate from any TT checks, my landline phone has the BT Call Guardian system on it. The system can be switched on and off any number of times and does not loose any blocked numbers. When switched on, one of the best features is the blocking of any call that starts with a recorded or computer generated voice. All calls are answered with a message asking for you to identify yourself then press hash button. No automatic system is able to bypass this check so the call is terminated and my phone does not ring.