Need help?

Fake phone numbers

Submitted by charlieboy99 24-10-2019 | 7 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 2 of 4

Many of the scam phone calls that I receive are showing a fake phone number on my caller display. I have yet to see the same number repeated so it is a waste of effort for me to block the number. For many of the numbers the five digit area code is invalid. With this fact in mind surely it would be easy to create a system to reject a call simply by validating just the first five digits. 

Get more ideas related to: Beat the scammers

Fake phone numbers

Many of the scam phone calls that I receive are showing a fake phone number on my caller display. I have yet to see the same number repeated so it is a waste of effort for me to block the number. For many of the numbers the five digit area code is invalid. With this fact in mind surely it would be easy to create a system to reject a call simply by validating just the first five digits. 

What do you think?
7 Comments
Community Team
Status changed to: Investigating

Hi charlieboy99,

Thanks for the suggestion, I've passed this on to the relevant team for comment, I'll let you know when I have any feedback

Thanks

Chris

Community Team

Hi charlieboy99,

I've received some feedback from our Security team. They are investigating a few ideas that should block a lot more calls and they already block malformed telephone numbers which include invalid STD codes. Thanks again for your suggestion

Chris

Wizz Kid

Hi Chris

Thanks for your reply. I'm glad to hear that some ideas are being investigated.

What is a malformed number? Would I be right in guessing it is a phone number with other than 11 digits?

Incidentally,  thinking about my suggestion, a STD code always starts with 0 so only four digits need to be validated.

In the last ten days I have had five scam calls with invalid STD codes - 01150 06402 03359 02083 01092.

First Timer

Your comment of Friday suggests invalid numbers are already blocked, however I have just received another call on a number 016783305784 that check&report says is invalid.

Wizz Kid

Hi stig2001

What Chris said was "they already block malformed telephone numbers which include invalid STD codes". 

Yes, the number that was displayed to you is malformed but the std code 01678 is valid for Bala so it so it was not stopped by the TT blocker.

First Timer

One tel. no. we received from yesterday was 001442305459775  Why was that not intercepted?

Insightful One

please use thew report site for reporting numbers @LindaNess