cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Fibre for customers in Rural areas, long lines.

Submitted by fwhobday 21-03-2017 | 3 Comments

Hi
I and many other people living in the rural areas have the problem of very slow speed
and even if the area has a fibre in the green box if the wire from the box to us is still long
we are refused a faster service because of the 10 meg min rule.

On talking to an open reach engineer he said it could done at between 5 and 8 meg but was not allowed to provide it because of the above.

It seems that a new band should be created for people in rural areas as anything faster than 1.0 to 1.5 meg would be better and you would be able to make lots of people join Taltalk 

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

Fibre for customers in Rural areas, long lines.

Hi
I and many other people living in the rural areas have the problem of very slow speed
and even if the area has a fibre in the green box if the wire from the box to us is still long
we are refused a faster service because of the 10 meg min rule.

On talking to an open reach engineer he said it could done at between 5 and 8 meg but was not allowed to provide it because of the above.

It seems that a new band should be created for people in rural areas as anything faster than 1.0 to 1.5 meg would be better and you would be able to make lots of people join Taltalk 

What do you think?
3 Comments
Community Manager

Hi @fwhobday thanks for sharing this idea! I'm not sure if you're aware but the minimum threshold for fibre with TalkTalk is actually 5Mb not 10Mb, I believe some other ISP do mandate that at least 10Mb is achieved to take fibre  however ours is lower. Was your idea for a service offered below the 5Mb that we offer or below 10Mb? 

First Timer
HI ref email from Stephen community manager
I only get 1.3m now down and has been as low as0.5 has taken 4 weeks to get it reset lots of exscuses made.
last year I got 1.7/1.8 for many months
The open reach man said it was possible to attach to the fibre but would only go at 5 to8 m and any way he was not allowed to do it !!
In my area we are all on long wires 2.5 k from green box 6.5 from exchange (about 25 houses)
Your web site say's we cannot have fibre?
So does this mean that talktalk can provide fibre here?
We did have a shorter route but BT put it in and took it out with no real investigation as it passed over 100ft of ancient woodland owned by the council they could have added a few poles and gone round it ( they acted on a letter from a private citizen not the council who own the land and were not informed ) 
Most of the route is over our land for which they paid for access
I am now in comunication  with the BBC south today,  the Ombudsman  and OPENreach  as it seems talktalk  have no axe to grind with the powers that be at Openreach.
Community Team
Status changed to: Unable to Deliver

@fwhobday We're unable to provide fibre to customers where the minimum line speed is less than 5Mb as such we'e going to mark this idea as unable to deliver. I'd also suggest you post in the broadband section to see if anyone can help.