cancel
Showing results for 
would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Forum for adults?

Submitted by Stu_H | 8 Comments

Have been a customer for a few years. Only just registered on here so I could use the forum to ask about a technical issue.

Am a bit surprised with the 'badges' and 'likes' going on. Is it really necessary? Seems a tad childish to me especially when I assume most people posting will be adults. Haven't looked but is there an opt out of that?

Get more ideas related to: Community

Forum for adults?

Have been a customer for a few years. Only just registered on here so I could use the forum to ask about a technical issue.

Am a bit surprised with the 'badges' and 'likes' going on. Is it really necessary? Seems a tad childish to me especially when I assume most people posting will be adults. Haven't looked but is there an opt out of that?

What do you think?
8 Comments
Community Star

Perhaps as an adult you could rise above all that?

First Timer

Clearly you are on the other side of the fence. Not sure it is about rising above it really rather than trying to avoid being sucked into it. Appears to be forced upon me on here. Not come across another forum like it.

Community Star

You must go on some very esoteric forums. I can't say I am bothered either way personally, but most forums I go on do. TalkTalk will note your idea though and respond to it here.

First Timer

Esoteric? Hardly. 30ish years on BBS, newsgroups and internet forums for various interests. I haven't encountered any like this. Since registering yesterday I've now earned three badges! Yippee. If I was a 10 year old child I might be excited by that. If this was a forum for all ages I might possibly understand that too but are there going to be many children on here? I'd assume most users will be adults who are seeking help and information concerning their TalkTalk services. I can't see any topic groupls that seem to be child focussed. You say you aren't bothered either way yet you are the one who chose to respond to my post telling me that as an adult I should rise above it. As an adult on a forum that is only likely to be frequented by other adults I should be able to point out how childish it seems. Are you seriously suggesting that adults give a damn about collecting badges and whatever else is on offer? It is like some sort of kids' computer game, a Pokemon inspired merit system or being back in the Cub Scouts. Do you often look at your vast array of badges and feel anything? Haven't you noticed how childish the design is? Each to their own I guess. You chose to tell me to rise above it, I choose to suggest you have sunk down into it. Apologies if you are actually a child of course.

First Timer

And does the message on the forum when I logged in this morning really need to say,

"We’re starting to get worried, where have you been? Make sure you check out our latest blog Re: How broadband speed works. What are you waiting for, head over to the forums and get posting."?

Worried? Again... that's a tad ridiculous. The whole tone is pretty dumbed down.

First Timer

Hmmm how come I can't see this thread in the 'Your Ideas' section now?

Community Team

Hi

Many online forums now use this method of Gamification, and the use of roles, ranks and badges can be seen across many forums.    This is the agreed format for our online community and there are no plans to change this at any point in the fuure, so in this case, I'm sorry to say that we would not consider this idea.

Regards,

Karl. 

Community Team
Status changed to: Not Right Now

@Stu_H I'm sorry to hear that you don't like our badges and I'll pass your feedback on. There is no option to opt out of this.

Thanks