cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

If Sky can do it why can't TalkTalk?

Submitted by Poops1 28-06-2017 | 6 Comments

I originally posted this in Beat the Scammers ...

"Sky has just launched a new free service for blocking unwanted calls called Sky Talk Shield. Read about it here. Why can't TalkTalk provided a similar sort of thing instead of the meagre 10, or even 100 as promised, last number blocking that is available now? It looks like it works like those BT phones where you can input a safe list of numbers who can call you and a blocked list of numbers that won't get through, and the rest get screened and have to identify themselves. I think there would be many TalkTalk customers who would welcome this sort of service."

If Sky can do it I'm sure TalkTalk could come up with something along the same lines.

Get more ideas related to: Beat the Scammers

If Sky can do it why can't TalkTalk?

I originally posted this in Beat the Scammers ...

"Sky has just launched a new free service for blocking unwanted calls called Sky Talk Shield. Read about it here. Why can't TalkTalk provided a similar sort of thing instead of the meagre 10, or even 100 as promised, last number blocking that is available now? It looks like it works like those BT phones where you can input a safe list of numbers who can call you and a blocked list of numbers that won't get through, and the rest get screened and have to identify themselves. I think there would be many TalkTalk customers who would welcome this sort of service."

If Sky can do it I'm sure TalkTalk could come up with something along the same lines.

What do you think?
6 Comments
Community Team - TT Staff
Status changed to: Duplicate

@Poops1 Thanks for your suggestion. A similar idea has already been suggested Ability to blacklist and whitelist numbers so we suggest liking this idea.

Whizz Kid

The trouble with having all numbers not on the whitelist blocked is that callers who are genuine but their number is new or unknown to you will be blocked. I get calls from  the hospital, doctor, medication delivery, and various others who call from different numbers that I don't know in advance, so I wouldn't be able to put them on a whitelist. My idea, or Sky's idea, is that numbers not on your whitelist get asked to identify themselves before being put through, so all genuine calls would get through.

@Poops1 I've included our latest blog which contains more info Together we're beating the Scammers!

Whizz Kid

Thanks Michelle, sounds good, it's all a step further forward. I particularly like the idea of being able to search for and comment on suspicious numbers on the forum.

Update - Just to add to this idea, we now offer CallSafe which is our free security feature that helps keep unwanted callers at bay. I've included more info below.

About CallSafe

I have two brothers and a niece all alkTalk users but who from time to time require my assisatnce with problems they encounter with their computers. This was no problem in the past I used TeamViewer to connect to any of their computers and quickly rectified the problem. Now I find that TalkTalk has barred the use of TeamViewer so I have just advised my relatives to switch provider. It does seem amazing that your Network is so insecure that an excellent program such as TeamViewer has to be banned. TeamViewer is very safe to use and the ability to connect to a users computer is controlled by that user. However its like any computer program if a user is prepared to download suspect programs from dubious sources then nothing can be done to prevent that no matter what security you have.