Improve DHCP Implementation on Router

Submitted by OrangeReaper 03-11-2018 | 7 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 2 of 4

The provided WiFi Router implements a very restricted DHCP service as follows:

1. It cannot be disabled (this means that I cannot use another device on my home network as a DHCP server)

2. It does not allow addresses to be reserved for networked devices based on their MAC Address.

3. As a result of points #1 and #2 the Port Forwarding provided is strictly limited to devices that are always switched on or are manually configured to have a static address which is outside of the DHCP range.

My suggestion is to update routers to provide a 'more complete' DHCP service that addresses the above limitations.

Thank you

Get more ideas related to: Broadband

Improve DHCP Implementation on Router

The provided WiFi Router implements a very restricted DHCP service as follows:

1. It cannot be disabled (this means that I cannot use another device on my home network as a DHCP server)

2. It does not allow addresses to be reserved for networked devices based on their MAC Address.

3. As a result of points #1 and #2 the Port Forwarding provided is strictly limited to devices that are always switched on or are manually configured to have a static address which is outside of the DHCP range.

My suggestion is to update routers to provide a 'more complete' DHCP service that addresses the above limitations.

Thank you

What do you think?
7 Comments
Community Team
Status changed to: Investigating

@OrangeReaper We have passed your feedback on to our Products Team who are looking into this issue. I'll update your thread once we have more information. Thanks

Chatterbox

This needs to be addressed quickly, the ability to change the DHCP range is standard so this functionality must have been taken out which then mens it should be simple to add back in.

Enlightened One

Otherwise you can get a third-party Rueter.  I use a FritzBox 7490. 

It works fine with fibre and ADSL with TT. 

Prescol

Sightseer

Configure the interface of each connected router and change the IP address for the connected interface, its subnet address, and its subnet mask. Delete your current TTRockStars DHCP scope. Create a new DHCP scope with the new subnet mask. Enable the Conflict Retries option on the DHCP server.

Popular Poster

@Betty52; I'm sorry your post makes no sense?

First Timer

I have used a 10.0.0.0/24 range for approx 15 years on a BT Hub 3, 5, 6, sky q hub and a virginmedia hub with the first 50 range outside of DHCP. I came to talktalk and changed the IP to 10.0.0.0/24 range, this would not work at all, and even on the default 192.168.1.0/24 I cannot change the DHCP allocation to start at 192.168.1.51. I have had to switch to full DHCP for the first time in 15 years. 

Popular Poster

@jryan94, Thanks for underlining the problem. TalkTalk just not providing a service in-line with other service providers, my experience too. I expect to leave TalkTalk unceremoniously at the end of my contract, never to return. Profound lack of response to this issue being one reason.