Need help?

Improve your moving house service as it's terrible

Submitted by Benedict_collins 07-01-2021 | 2 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 1 of 4

Just cancelled my service with Talk Talk as I'm moving house.

I cancelled on the day we exchanged contracts, the earliest opportunity any one has to cancel, as until then the sale isn't confirmed and either side could pull out.

Even though I've been with Talk Talk for over 10 years and was out of contract I still get told I have to give 30 days notice, I'm sorry, but that's not how a house purchase works. The service will continue until 6th Feb and then they'll send me an envelope to return the kit. So I'm supposed to still be at the house I move out of on the 15th Jan so I can take out and return the kit am I. I will of course be charged £50 for the very old out of date router they are never going use again.

If I'd been moving to another talk talk area I could have transferred, but as I've moved out of the country completely, that wasn't an option, neither is packing up the equipment on the 6th Feb.

It's unacceptable that the service will still be running after I'm no longer the legal owner of the property, it's also totally unacceptable that they think sending an envelope to the property weeks after I've moved out to return the kit, or I'll get charged £50. I will not even be in the country, will have no control over what the new owner does or doesn't do, and worse I'll still be paying for the service for the new owners to use.

This is NOT how moving house works in the UK, the average time between exchanging contracts and completion is just 10 days, regardless if whether someone is in or out of  contract, moving house should always be an exception and it should all get sorted within the time frame of the standard legal process for selling a property.

Get more ideas related to: Billing Community Other

0 Likes

Improve your moving house service as it's terrible

Just cancelled my service with Talk Talk as I'm moving house.

I cancelled on the day we exchanged contracts, the earliest opportunity any one has to cancel, as until then the sale isn't confirmed and either side could pull out.

Even though I've been with Talk Talk for over 10 years and was out of contract I still get told I have to give 30 days notice, I'm sorry, but that's not how a house purchase works. The service will continue until 6th Feb and then they'll send me an envelope to return the kit. So I'm supposed to still be at the house I move out of on the 15th Jan so I can take out and return the kit am I. I will of course be charged £50 for the very old out of date router they are never going use again.

If I'd been moving to another talk talk area I could have transferred, but as I've moved out of the country completely, that wasn't an option, neither is packing up the equipment on the 6th Feb.

It's unacceptable that the service will still be running after I'm no longer the legal owner of the property, it's also totally unacceptable that they think sending an envelope to the property weeks after I've moved out to return the kit, or I'll get charged £50. I will not even be in the country, will have no control over what the new owner does or doesn't do, and worse I'll still be paying for the service for the new owners to use.

This is NOT how moving house works in the UK, the average time between exchanging contracts and completion is just 10 days, regardless if whether someone is in or out of  contract, moving house should always be an exception and it should all get sorted within the time frame of the standard legal process for selling a property.

What do you think?
2 Comments
ferguson
Community Star

You can request that the service be blocked from the date you are leaving. You can also request a returns bag in advance, although if you are out of contract I doubt that you are in fact obliged to return any equipment. 

Benedict_collins
Popular Poster

Your call center staff need some more training then if this is the case.