Need help?

Loyalty should be rewarded

Submitted by peejay 22-02-2019 | 5 Comments

1. New ideas

2. Investigating

3. Accepted

4. Delivered

Step 2 of 4

I have been a loyal TalkTalk customer for over 12 years and I have been generally happy with the service I have received. However, I was recently incensed to discover a £4 charge for 'TalkTalk TV' added to my February bill. Not only was this charge unjustified, as an inspection of my account would have revealed that I have never availed myself of TalkTalk TV services while on my current contract, but also contrary to the terms of that contract for 'Faster Fibre' which clearly states that the price is fixed for the entire length of the contract. After a lengthy phone call to TalkTalk's customer services call centre, in which I pointed out these facts to the TalkTalk representative, the £4 charge has been removed from my monthly bill. How many others, I wonder, have been hit by this grossly unfair 'stealth' charge simply for being TalkTalk broadband customers, regardless of whether they use the TalkTalk TV service or not? It made me ponder the other ways that loyal TalkTalk customers are penalized. For example, TalkTalk is currently advertising 'Faster Fibre' 18-month contracts for £19.95 per month in the press and £25 per month (sale price) on their website for new customers, whereas I have to pay £27.50 per month until my current contract runs out in June 2020. Loyalty is certainly not rewarded at TalkTalk.

Get more ideas related to: Billing

Loyalty should be rewarded

I have been a loyal TalkTalk customer for over 12 years and I have been generally happy with the service I have received. However, I was recently incensed to discover a £4 charge for 'TalkTalk TV' added to my February bill. Not only was this charge unjustified, as an inspection of my account would have revealed that I have never availed myself of TalkTalk TV services while on my current contract, but also contrary to the terms of that contract for 'Faster Fibre' which clearly states that the price is fixed for the entire length of the contract. After a lengthy phone call to TalkTalk's customer services call centre, in which I pointed out these facts to the TalkTalk representative, the £4 charge has been removed from my monthly bill. How many others, I wonder, have been hit by this grossly unfair 'stealth' charge simply for being TalkTalk broadband customers, regardless of whether they use the TalkTalk TV service or not? It made me ponder the other ways that loyal TalkTalk customers are penalized. For example, TalkTalk is currently advertising 'Faster Fibre' 18-month contracts for £19.95 per month in the press and £25 per month (sale price) on their website for new customers, whereas I have to pay £27.50 per month until my current contract runs out in June 2020. Loyalty is certainly not rewarded at TalkTalk.

What do you think?
5 Comments
Community Star

You can contact customer services at any time to renegotiate a new deal and when you are within 90 days of the end of your current contract you are entitled to the same deals as new customers. I may be wrong, but I am not aware of any other providers who do anything similar. Other than that, how do you actually suggest loyalty should be rewarded?

Conversation Starter

Hello ferguson,

TalkTalk could reward existing customers by not excluding them from the best offers available at any particular time. I agree that one may try to re-negotiate one's contract with customer services at any time, but if switching to a cheaper option isn't permitted there doesn't seem much point. I appreciate that TalkTalk is trying to attract new customers by offering good deals, but it is equally important to retain existing customers. If, in addition to guaranteeing not to increase prices for the length of a contract, TalkTalk also promised to allow switching to a cheaper deal if one is introduced, customers would be much more likely to stay with TalkTalk rather than look around for a better deal elsewhere. In most cases, starting a new deal would extend the time the customer is contracted to TalkTalk, thus benefiting both parties.

Community Team
Status changed to: New

Hi peejay, I completely understand your feelings on this issue and suggest the best place for this would be in the TV section of the community. Although I accept it's a suggestion about changes in process you're making you'll be best served in the TV section. I will of course pass on your comments and provide any replies I receive for you. 

Community Team
Status changed to: Investigating

Conversation Starter

This post is about "Loyalty is certainly not rewarded at TalkTalk" and contract prices. Why should it be in the TV section? Do they control all the broadband contracts?