cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | would you rather see results for 
Did you mean: 
Need help?

Noisy/crackly phone line fault diagnosis and fix...

Submitted by Old Tom 19-02-2020 | 2 Comments

I think that this question should be added to the list of actions that the Helpline people ask when someone reports a noisy phone line but still have a perfect internet/broadband connection and service.

Q:  Is the power to your phone coming via an extenion lead?  If so, swap it with another one or plug straight into the 3 pin plug wall socket.

I've just spent 20 mins with an OpenReach engineer trying to work out why my phone line was noisy.  All checks passed clear but we still had problems even with a replacement phone.  As I am an ex computer comms engineer we both understood that this was a weird problem until we decided (in desperation) to remove the power lead and plug the phone into the wall,

Result:   Problem solved.

Lots of devices need pwoer so there are many multi plug extension leads out there so I think this suggestion might be useful

Tom  

Get more ideas related to: Phone

0 Likes

Noisy/crackly phone line fault diagnosis and fix...

I think that this question should be added to the list of actions that the Helpline people ask when someone reports a noisy phone line but still have a perfect internet/broadband connection and service.

Q:  Is the power to your phone coming via an extenion lead?  If so, swap it with another one or plug straight into the 3 pin plug wall socket.

I've just spent 20 mins with an OpenReach engineer trying to work out why my phone line was noisy.  All checks passed clear but we still had problems even with a replacement phone.  As I am an ex computer comms engineer we both understood that this was a weird problem until we decided (in desperation) to remove the power lead and plug the phone into the wall,

Result:   Problem solved.

Lots of devices need pwoer so there are many multi plug extension leads out there so I think this suggestion might be useful

Tom  

What do you think?
2 Comments
Community Team - TT Staff
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Community Team - TT Staff
Status changed to: Duplicate